Rattrays

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chas. Rattray seems to shoot a hole in the whole "aging in airtight containers" practice we've come to accept. Lol.

Monbla always says people wanted fresh tobacco back then, not aged stuff.

MisterE":rn3rkp9w said:
Chas. Rattray seems to shoot a hole in the whole "aging in airtight containers" practice we've come to accept. Lol.

Back in the late '60s to late '70s,if a retailer had any stock left on their shelves for much more than 3 mo's and you'd find it on sale as it was considered "old stock" !! Most folks I smoked with then were always wanting "fresh" 'baccy ! This whole aging thing is new to me !! But I will have to say that Va's definatly do usually improve with age!! But we were smoking back in the "dark ages" back then and were not as educated about just what was smoking !! :twisted:  Hell some of us just smoked only ONE blend our whole lives Now how dumb is that !! :twisted: :twisted:

Very Cool! I've never seen this catalog before. This is the best link I've clicked on in a long time. :shock:

monbla256":7khm9yz3 said:
MisterE":7khm9yz3 said:

Back in the late '60s to late '70s,if a retailer had any stock left on their shelves for much more than 3 mo's and you'd find it on sale as it was considered "old stock" !! Most folks I smoked with then were always wanting "fresh" 'baccy ! This whole aging thing is new to me !! But I will have to say that Va's definatly do usually improve with age!! But we were smoking back in the "dark ages" back then and were not as educated about just what was smoking !! :twisted:  Hell some of us just smoked only ONE blend our whole lives Now how dumb is that !! :twisted: :twisted:
It was considered more like cigarette smoking back then I imagine. You had your brand and that was that! My grandpa smoked the Amphora blue. It was the only thing I ever saw around.

It's interesting that pipe tobacco has become more like wine now. I'd probably get bored I with one blend only. I'm glad I can switch around!

MisterE":ktqxpeyv said:
monbla256":ktqxpeyv said:
MisterE":ktqxpeyv said:

It was considered more like cigarette smoking back then I imagine. You had your brand and that was that! My grandpa smoked the Amphora blue. It was the only thing I ever saw around.

It's interesting that pipe tobacco has become more like wine now. I'd probably get bored I with one blend only. I'm glad I can switch around!
Nothing really stopped anyone from "ping-ponging", it just wasn't the "fashion" then as it is today !! Remember, a part of the WHY we do many things is to feed our IMAGE of ourselves and now days the fashionabel image is that of a "connoisseur" . Most of the emphisis back then was on WHAT PIPE you smoked !! Times change :twisted: :twisted: