Relevant Quotations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

William Blake":8y2wyte7 said:
When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.

John Adams":8y2wyte7 said:
Power always thinks it has a great soul and vast views beyond the comprehension of the weak; and that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.
Johannes Brahms":8y2wyte7 said:
Those who enjoy their own emotionally bad health and who habitually fill their own minds with the rank poisons of suspicion, jealousy and hatred, as a rule take umbrage at those who refuse to do likewise, and they find a perverted relief in trying to denigrate them.
Xavier Cugat":8y2wyte7 said:
I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve.

Jean Sibelius":8y2wyte7 said:
All musicians ever talk about are money and jobs. Give me businessmen every time. They really care about music and art.
Dizzy Gillespie":8y2wyte7 said:
Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.

Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins.

This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins.
Goethe":8y2wyte7 said:
Confusion of the real with the ideal never goes unpunished.
:face:

I have always enjoyed that aphorism from Goethe.
Many people have an idea in their mind of what love and relationships are to be, but in real life that idea is seldom what they thought it would be.

Well thats what it means to me.

I love short quotes like that. Especially that collection.

Mark Twain is a favorite for this reason. Often books sell by weight and by volume, impressing the read and unread alike when perhaps 70% of it is filler. Hell, some people's lives are like that, but if we can squeeze a few good quotes out of 'em, it's worth it.

8)

Goethe wrote:
Confusion of the real with the ideal never goes unpunished.

Oh, I don't know...Plato and Kant made careers of it, didn't they? ;)

Great quotes!

The Dizzy quote is especially good. I played trumpet for 12 years and that quote pretty much described exactly what I went through!

Dizzy Gillespie":yx2dtz2f said:
Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win.

Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins.

This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins.
:lol: Made my day. That one could be a script for a movie, or a book.

I wish wat Sibelius had said still held true. Almost no-one here seems to care about music and especially art here anymore. All they care about is e-gadgets, brand names, all the things that run on gasoline and appearing like winners. :x

Albert Camus":yx2dtz2f said:
I do not want to found anything on the incomprehensible. I want to know whether I can live with what I know and with that alone.
Milan Kundera":yx2dtz2f said:
Love is by definition an unmerited gift; being loved without meriting it is the very proof of real love. If a woman tells me: I love you because you're intelligent, because you're decent, because you buy me gifts, because you don't chase women, because you do the dishes, then I'm disappointed; such love seems a rather self-interested business. How much finer it is to hear: I'm crazy about you even though you're neither intelligent nor decent, even though you're a liar, an egotist, a bastard.

Having been suffocated in my teen years by everybody knowing everybody else’s business in town and commenting on it, I escaped in early adulthood. Now I find myself frequently writing about those very childhood experiences I wanted to forget. Life sure has a strange sense of humor!

After playing the violin for the cellist Gregor Piatgorsky, Albert Einstein asked, "Did I play well?" "You played relatively well," replied Piatgorsky.

"What can you do with it? It's like a lot of yaks jumping about."
--Sir Thomas Beecham on Beethoven's Seventh Symphony

"His music used to be original. Now it's aboriginal."
--Sir Ernest Newman on Igor Stravinsky

"He has an enormously wide repertory. He can conduct anything, provided it's by Beethoven, Brahms or Wagner. He tried Debussy's La Mer once. It came out as Das Merde."
--Anonymous Orchestra Member on George Szell

"After I die, I shall return to earth as a gatekeeper of a bordello and I won't let any of you enter."
--Arturo Toscanini to the NBC Orchestra

Someone commented to Rudolph Bing, manager of the Metropolitan Opera, that "George Szell is his own worst enemy." "Not while I'm alive, he isn't!" said Bing.

"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands and all you can do is scratch it."
--Sir Thomas Beecham to a lady cellist.

"We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
--Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal

"Jack Benny played Mendelssohn last night. Mendelssohn lost."
Annonymous

My favorite politically incorrect environmental comment was by my good friend on a packing trip long ago:

If everybody would just do their part, I wouldn't have to
R. Gschwind

Got to have it made into a bumper sticker some day.

Natch

Natch":5ffwvkp1 said:
My favorite politically incorrect environmental comment was by my good friend on a packing trip long ago:

If everybody would just do their part, I wouldn't have to
R. Gschwind

Got to have it made into a bumper sticker some day.

Natch
:cheers: :lol:

Mark Twain was once a guest of honor at an opera box party put on by a prominent member of New York society. The hostess felt at home at the opera and proceeded to talk throughout the performance — to Mark Twain's increasing annoyance.
After the opera was over, she turned to Twain and gushed, "Oh, my dear Mr. Clemens, I do hope you will be with us next Saturday. I just know you will enjoy it — the opera will be 'Tosca.'"
"How tantalizing," replied Mark Twain. "I've never heard you in that."

Rad

Q : What's the difference between a bull and an orchestra?
A : The bull has the horns in the front and the a**hole in the back.

Q : What's the difference between an opera conductor and a baby?
A : A baby sucks his fingers.

Q : What's the difference between a viola and a vacuum cleaner?
A : You have to plug in a vacuum cleaner before it sucks.