Retirement

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired (for the second time!!) in 2008. Haven't regretted doing it for a minute. I do some consulting work plus I teach some classes at the FAA's training center in Oklahoma City, OK. I try to stay active, walking my dogs while puffing on the pipe or my "power" walk every so often!! Not a golfer, but do like being outside. Travel quite a bit. I waited until 66 & 1/2 to take SS. Do something to keep the old mind active and busy. I play a lot of bridge, do family genealogy research on-line, read real books, stay up on current events, etc. I truly love not having a schedule, gives me time to do things like sit on my ass in front of a computer replying to discussions like this :p :p :p Keep active, take care of your health, be engaged in something!!! Enjoy your retirement years!! :cheers: :santa: FTRPLT

Never been keen on negative cash flow. As long as that doesn't supervene, anything goes when old, ugly, decrepit, and proof of mortality looms. Every man for himself, I say. Whatever turns ya' on, do it. Pushin' 70--though how the hell that ever happened I have no idea--and still working full time. What's this S.S. thing? Sounds Nazi.

I'm still a long ways off, but after watching my dad and step mom retire I can say they were both busier now than when they were working. They volunteered in a number of organizations that kept them busy and integrated them into a new community of people which made them a lot of new friends. Then my dad had to go and run off with another woman leaving my step mom destitute which is always an option, but not one I recommend. We as a family decided to keep Mom B. and write off Dad. :)

I'm 33. I'd retire at 34 if I could swing it (well...I COULD retire tomorrow if I could live off of $.18/month).

Clearly, I have many years left to go before I have to deal with the idea, but it seems to me that most everyone I know that's retired all agree on one thing - know yourself, know your hobbies, and find time to enjoy them both. It's what makes retirement a reward and not an exile.

Congrats to you, BD, even if you're not 100% sold on the idea that it's something to celebrate.

Appreciate all the info lady and gents. Keep it coming. Good to see you are all so forthcoming with experiences and advice. All is noted and filed away for future reference.

This retirement thing is still pretty much an odd concept to me right now. Equally, at some point one does have to look at the inevitable as well as plan for it.

I can pretty well choose when I make the decision, and I'd rather go out on top of my game rather than having someone tell me that I need to go. So there is that. 

Just need to start planning for the eventful day when I'll start the final phase of my life. Can't believe I'm saying that..........

:silent: 

Cheers?

RR

Just one more thing you might want to ask yourself in all Seriousness, we never know what lies in the future, healthier men have died at a drop of a hat found laying across there desk at work, on a job site and even in a semi. Where do you want to die? Myself, I want to die at home, in bed, in the shop, or just slump over the tractor. Doesn't matter as long as I'm not at work under stress or worrying about getting a job done on time but, at a place I call home and at peace. ;)

Cartaphilus":volon7d0 said:
Just one more thing you might want to ask yourself in all Seriousness, we never know what lies in the future, healthier men have died at a drop of a hat found laying across there desk at work, on a job site and even in a semi. Where do you want to die? Myself, I want to die at home, in bed, in the shop, or just slump over the tractor. Doesn't matter as long as I'm not at work under stress or worrying about getting a job done on time but, at a place I call home and at peace. ;)

There's a lot of truth in that Ron.

I was born in AZ, and figure I might as well die there. So I'll be relocating when the time is right.

;)

Cheers,

RR

...well said Ron...For more than 25 years I travelled extensively domestically and internationally...I always thought that the last place I wanted to die was in some bloody hotel room, especially in a foreign country...

Fortunately, those days are over...

Sorry, but I have to put in a plug for gym membership.
I agree with everyone else's comment, but I believe that it is also important to include physical activity.
This can include walking, riding bikes, swimming, yoga,lifting weights, etc.
You are more likely to exercise if you have a gym membership and you don't have to worry about the weather.
You are also more likely to appreciate it after you have been going for a while.
Check out Silver Sneakers:
https://www.silversneakers.com/
Some insurance policies will even pay for gym membership.

Cartaphilus":g2kh8iq8 said:
At age 59, I thought I was going to be working the rest of my life due to finances.  Then last year contracted a rare auto-immune disease called CIDP.  I've lost about 70% of my muscles in my arms and legs.  I had to quit work in March, and now  live on SS Disability and will not work again.  I always hated working for incompetent humans anyway, but so many people keep on working just for an extra $400.00 or so a month, using up the valuable remaining years of their life chasing the almighty dollar.  Believe me, if your job stops tomorrow( which is becoming the normal corporate routine), you will adjust to whatever income you have.

Like the article I was reading about a lady who was a fitness nut all her life that got cancer and was asked what she learned so far. She said she should have eaten those pieces of dessert she always turned down, and that she lived with the illusion of immortality, thinking she was going to live to be 100 and still running races.

Or the 3 people who died in last years Chicago Triathlon(one was a physician), all thinking that they were in the greatest of shape when all they did was push their body beyond its limits, and it killed them. Oh, life can change in a short time, I know all too well. ;)

hobie1dog":f512twyc said:
 I always hated working for incompetent humans anyway, but so many people keep on working just for an extra $400.00 or so a month, using up the valuable remaining years of their life chasing the almighty dollar.  
LoL! "Only" $400 a month. We're in our mid 50's and have been looking into retirement. Yeah when your healthcare and basic living is paid for by the tax payers it might make sense but when you work for a living/healthcare it doesn't work that way. Healthcare will eat up a early retirement pension check fast. :shock:

Just my two cents worth, I retired two years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. I always told my friends that the greatest sin is to die at work and not have the pleasure of enjoying life to its fullest. I do a lot of community service to keep busy and exercise five days a week to stay in shape. Working in the yard is something I enjoy too. Believe me once you try this "retirement thing" you will enjoy it.

Brewdude":q8lou30i said:
Re-reading this thread and examining the wisdom here makes this event closer than one might think. Not sure how I feel about that.

Cheers?

RR
If the amount of SS $s is important DO NOT retire BEFORE 65 !! If you retire BEFOER 65 your amount will be reduced quite a bit !! :twisted:

Final phase? Did you say final phase?

Oh my, no...... Not the final phase. A new chapter!

I've been in the restaurant business for 37 years and also hope to be able to retire at 66. Retiring also scares me a little. I'll probably find some sort of mechanical work (auto repair) to do part-time, so my wife doesn't shoot me.

We do 50+ hour weeks. I just did the math, a 40 hour work week equals 2,000 hours, I'm doing 2,500 plus. For 37 years, that equates to just a little over 9 extra years of work. I just turned 55,and I'm starting to show the wear and tear. We opened four new restaurants this year, which means 70+ hours of very physical labor. I joined a gym a few months ago, that really helped me cope with the physical nature of my job. But I worry what Ill be able to handle at 60 years of age.

I would guess that any of the vast number of brew pubs opening would love to have your consulting expertise. But I also understand that you may never want to smell beer brewing again!

Keep us posted.

monbla256":p1z5ap38 said:
Brewdude":p1z5ap38 said:
Re-reading this thread and examining the wisdom here makes this event closer than one might think. Not sure how I feel about that.

Cheers?

RR
If the amount of SS $s is important DO NOT retire BEFORE 65 !! If you retire BEFOER 65 your amount will be reduced quite a bit !! :twisted:
Not completely true, you do supposedly lose money if you check out at 62, but waiting to full retirement requires living quite sometime to make up for the money you would have drawn between 62 and full retirement.
Also, 65 isn't the retirement age for very many people. My retirement age is 67...There's a SSA page you can use to figure out your full retirement age.
https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/ageincrease.html

Riff Raff I'm scared to do that math.. I averaged over 100 hours a week for over 20 years.

I retired at 54. While it's nice to have that pension check every month, there's that thing called health insurance that doesn't come cheap. So, I simply took another, much easier job with good benefits and overall I'm better off than I was before I retired both mentally and physically.