Rich's Tobacco/Steven Books

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derlict311

Reaction score
I have been looking for a truer experience of Balkan Sobraine 759 but there is no way I'm spending $400 on an old tin. And why would you? I have read about the great experiment in Chicago(?) a couple of years ago with McClelland and Oulette and even tried Blackhouse. Still, I am intrigued by the mystique of BS 759. What's the big deal? This lead me to Rich's Tobacco and a man named Steve Books. I gather he is quite the Masterblender and blended for Rich's, although I had never heard of him before today (that doesn't mean much). He blended a "Irishman's 5 O'Clock" that is looking real good right now. I'm thinking about grabbing some but really my question is what do the gents think about the rest of Rich's Tobacco and/or Steven Books' blends?

Thanks,
Derek

Brewdude":svuxbn50 said:
Well, Steve Books has moved on to his own blending house-

http://houseofcalabash.com/steven-books

His blends may live on at Rich's, but don't have the skinny on this.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
Yeah, I saw that but wasn't too sure on which on to pull the trigger on.

Some of the prices on there are like Crazy Eddy's. INSANE! :sunny:

Steve Books must be the man. Irish 5 O'Clock is on the list.

Having smoked 759 for almost 20 years I'd have to say it in so many ways defined what a BALKAN blend was. The mix of Latakia and varieties of Oriental leaf with the wonderful Va base was unique to it. The only blend I've found that comes any where really close to it is Peretti's Royal Blend. I keep a good 8 ozs on hand for those times I want to "step back in time" :twisted:

monbla256":kb1c0t3p said:
Having smoked 759 for almost 20 years I'd have to say it in so many ways defined what a BALKAN blend was. The mix of Latakia and varieties of Oriental leaf with the wonderful Va base was unique to it. The only blend I've found that comes any where really close to it is Peretti's Royal Blend. I keep a good 8 ozs on hand for those times I want to "step back in time" :twisted:
I'm a fan of Peretti's Royal Blend. I think it is great and have some on hand in a mason jar. Smoked a lot of it this past winter in the perfect pipe for it, a Peterson Limerick (Canadian). Great smokey flavor there. Omega is another (similar) great blend from Peretti's. You know, Fred Hanna's Wilderness is an awful lot like Royal Blend to me too, so I guess that makes it close to 759 (lighter I suspect, it is mild-medium). Maybe?

That all said, Steven Book's Irishman's 5 O'Clock (a dead ringer some say to 759) is now officially in route. If anyone has knowledge on this blend I would love to hear straight from the horse's mouth.

The 5 O'Clock mixture is very good and pretty close to 759. I thought it just a mite sweeter though.

I've been smoking a bowl or two of Irishman's 5 O'clock everyday for the last week or so. It hits on all points for an ideal Balkan blend, IMO. It's so rich in flavor and easy to smoke...downright effortless, right down to the dottle. Smoking this blend has reaffirmed for me that I think Balkans are king more than any other "genre" and that I like ribbon cut best. :cherry:

monbla256":b1edr6el said:
I've been smoking Irishman's 5 O'Clock along side Peretti's Royal Blend, just for comparisons sake. They ARE similar but I5O is head and shoulders above in quality and sophistication, I think. If Royal Blend is four stars, this tobacco is off the charts. Try some if you can, Moniba. You are a 759 enthusiast so I would be interested to get your take on it. PM me for a sample.

I know I shouldn't say it after one bowl, but I'm in love Irishman's 5 o'clock. Best balkan I've tasted so far.

After smoking the generous sample of this Derilict sent me, I have to agree that it is one of the better Balkan type of blends out there. It's full, yet mellow at the same time, lights easily, burns evenly and cool, no bite and leaves nothing but a clean dry ash. With that said, it is NOT the same as the 759 was as we smoked it fresh, out of the tin back in the 70's. That was a much sharper, Lat forward blend as I recall, as Peretii's Royal Blend is. This is more like 759 after it has aged a decade or so IMHO Definitely worth the money, but noy as I recall 759 from years ago. :p

Hiram-2011":kkv5ax2g said:
I know I shouldn't say it after one bowl, but I'm in love Irishman's 5 o'clock. Best balkan I've tasted so far.
I regularly have "Holy cow, that's good" moments with it. I like lots of other stuff but its my is top dawg right now. Not really for an empty stomach or a morning smoke, although I guess one could experiment. :idea:

My nearly gone eight ounce bag is proof of my infatuation with it, too. How about his other blends you picked up?

I haven't tried the other blends I picked up yet. First impression , they smell pretty damn good in the bag. If they smoke as good as I5O, then I'm in for a treat.

monbla256":pcg5fh1j said:
After smoking the generous sample of this Derilict sent me, I have to agree that it is one of the better Balkan type of blends out there. It's full, yet mellow at the same time, lights easily, burns evenly and cool, no bite and leaves nothing but a clean dry ash. With that said, it is NOT the same as the 759 was as we smoked it fresh, out of the tin back in the 70's. That was a much sharper, Lat forward blend as I recall, as Peretii's Royal Blend is. This is more like 759 after it has aged a decade or so IMHO Definitely worth the money, but noy as I recall 759 from years ago. :p
I'd pick Irishman's over the snooty Bostonian concoction anyday. Hahaha! Royal Blend is also very good, but just so I have my loyalty well documented :sunny:

Now how about a lil' bitty bowl of 759 for a poor old soul, Moniba? Research and all. :afro:

Hiram-2011":ml6lh7vt said:
I haven't tried the other blends I picked up yet. First impression , they smell pretty damn good in the bag. If they smoke as good as I5O, then I'm in for a treat.
Word. :)

How is the packaging with Peretti's bulk blends? I assume the one ounce quantity is in a baggie. Does Peretti offer the 8oz size as a tin option?

James Kime":beo89myk said:
How is the packaging with Peretti's bulk blends? I assume the one ounce quantity is in a baggie. Does Peretti offer the 8oz size as a tin option?
They come in little paint cans if I remember correctly.

derlict311":zl2bsrsy said:
[
Now how about a lil' bitty bowl of 759 for a poor old soul, Moniba? Research and all. :afro:
I'd love to seeing how generous you were with me, but I'm afraid I don't have nor had ANY fresh 759 in over 15 years :twisted: As for "snooty", they are just normal NE urban folks. Been buying from them for a long time now and haven't found any one whose "snooty" up there, just "Boston" type folks :twisted: :twisted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"How is the packaging with Peretti's bulk blends? I assume the one ounce quantity is in a baggie. Does Peretti offer the 8oz size as a tin option?"

The 8oz and 1# quantities come in a plastic bag sealed in a reusable metal "paint can" .

You say Boston, I say poor customer service skills. I don't get that warm, fuzzy feeling with them guys on the phone. Nice tobacco though.

Anyone here have any experience with Peretti VA Flakes?

Also tempted to get the "first pipe of the day" by Stephen Books. Just trying to justify the cost per ounce to my wife...