Riff Raff is Gone...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riff raff

Reaction score
An end of an era for me, I sold my last bike yesterday (and namesake for my screenname).  Since building our MGB, I just don't ride it much and chose the B for my dwindling free time.  I travel a lot and don't like doing things without my wife.  The proceeds will be put to good use for a new leather interior and top for the MGB.  My wife snapped this just before the buyer showed up.  I will miss looking at the bike from my smoking section of the garage.  

1959501_10204087876905116_4040421144849299993_n.jpg

Well there was no seat on that bike for your wife anyhow. An MGB roadster all restored and prettied up, now there's something to be excited about  :D 

Definitely do post some pics of the MGB when she's all done!

Beautiful bike. I let my Softail go to a new home a couple years ago for the same reason. We got a jeep and now we can put the top down and all of us can enjoy more time together.

Bummer about the scooter...that is what memories are for. Looking forward to the pics of the restored ride.

You should have that picture framed and hung in honor in that very smoking section

I'll need a pix of the bike in the garage. I'll update the the MGB when I get her done.

riff raff":vrnzwcyt said:
An end of an era for me, I sold my last bike yesterday (and namesake for my screenname).  Since building our MGB, I just don't ride it much and chose the B for my dwindling free time.  I travel a lot and don't like doing things without my wife.  The proceeds will be put to good use for a new leather interior and top for the MGB.  My wife snapped this just before the buyer showed up.  I will miss looking at the bike from my smoking section of the garage.  

1959501_10204087876905116_4040421144849299993_n.jpg
What model of Trumpet did you chopz? Is that an aftermarket hard tail frame or did you take the OEM frame and make it a hard tail? Nice looking either way !!  :twisted: :twisted:

That is a 1966 TR6C Trophy, which is a single carb 650 with high pipes. Many were "desert sleds". I had a two-carb Bonneville head on it. The frame is unmolested with all mounting tabs intact (under the tank, etc.). The hard tail is a 4" stretch but a bolt-on, so it could be put back to stock configuration. Many choppers have cut up/welded frames but this numbers matching bike was unmolested.

I have no affiliation with that builder named "Riff Raff". That was the name carved into the leather seat, which is one of my favorite AC/DC songs and seemed to fit the bike. But I might get one of those shirts!

Those short pipes be hard on the ears. One thing I always loved about the Triumph's and BSA's, was the stock front fender. Just big enough to keep dirt and dead cats out of the engine cooling fins, but when you slid up to a stop, that big twin idle got that fender to shaking and gently clanking on the forks. Never did any harm, but was very nostalgic. A lot of fun to ride. You always had fingers smelling of gasoline from tickling the carbs. Mine was a '71 BSA 650.

Carlos":53of8uhh said:
Those short pipes be hard on the ears.  One thing I always loved about the Triumph's and BSA's, was the stock front fender.  Just big enough to keep dirt and dead cats out of the engine cooling fins, but when you slid up to a stop, that big twin idle got that fender to shaking and gently clanking on the forks.  Never did any harm, but was very nostalgic.  A lot of fun to ride.  You always had fingers smelling of gasoline from tickling the carbs.  Mine was a '71 BSA 650.  

Seem to remember trying to kick one over without releasing the compression knob....yup, over the handlebars.

Looks like a great bike Al. Sorry you had to part with it.

At the same time I'm reminded of my first ride - a HD '52 Flathead which had been chopped. Hardtail, King & Queen seat with virtually no padding for the operator. That......was an exercise in abuse for any length of time!

errrr.gif

Cheers,

RR

You make me wish I still had my old MGB-GT. I got one of the last to be imported into the US back in '74 and other than the spoke wheels (which I never learned the tune correctly) and the company forgetting to put a small British mechanic in the trunk, so it would actually run, it was the most fun car I've ever owned.

Natch

Carlos":m1ex6da1 said:
I wish I had kept my Whitworth tool set.
I sold the new owner my combination wrenches and socket sets. "British Tools & Fasteners" in Lyons NY is an excellent resource for Whitworth tools, nuts, bolts, etc.

Someone asked about my MGB. My interior kit arrived on Monday night, which includes two new (but factory looking) leather covered seats. I went with the "Biscuit" color, which is a light tan. New carpet set, door panels etc. I also ordered a Tan top with zip-out rear window. On super-hot days, it will be nice to put up the top, zip out the rear window and have bikini top of sorts. I made some progress this evening.

Some of you asked for an update on the MGB. Well, I finally finished the car and put the new top on this evening.

I did the interior in June, it came out great.

Tonight the new top went on, a Robbins top with a zip-out rear window.