Ropes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVDAVE

Reaction score
I was wondering what rope would be good to start with? I don't want any heavy hitters to start with. I'm looking for a good starting point.

All the ropes I've had have had tons of Vitamin N. I'm not sure if a mild rope exists, or at least I'm not aware of one.

OK, if no mild ones exist, what would be good to start with?

Ocelot55":ino8fwu4 said:
All the ropes I've had have had tons of Vitamin N. I'm not sure if a mild rope exists, or at least I'm not aware of one.
This.

My experience has been limited to Sammy G's ropes - brown and black. The brown is OTT with nic while having a very high and pronounced flavor as well.

The black is not far behind, and has a kind of charcoal/tar/diesel oil flavor.

They'll both kick yer arse. Best left to a smallish bowl and sipped very slowly after a big meal. Make yer eyes pop!

:shock:

I've found them both to be overly moist and need a lot of dry down time after cutting off chunks and rubbing out. Otherwise one can make yourself sick while puffing.

Been there, done that!

:x

Cheers,

RR

Actually Samuel Gawith Curly Cut and the Curly Cut Deluxe are a mild rope that has been sliced. For an actual rope, the mildest of the strong ropes is probably Brown #4. Or Samuel Gawith's Black XX. But it's got an odd oily taste from the extra cooking. Just be careful and pay attention if you start to get the spins.

I failed to mention the Brown Pigtail, but it's quite uncommon. It's medium strong.

If you're willing to take a rope that's been sliced already...

1. Peter Stokkebye Bull's Eye Flake:

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2229_55130220

2. Davidoff Flake Medallions

3. Peter Heinrich's Special Selection: Curly

Now if you want to play with a rope...which is loads of fun...I'd suggest:

Gawith, Hogarth & Co.'s Sweet Rum Twist. It's strong, no doubt about it, as it's made from the same ingredients as their Brown Irish X, and the "sweet" designation doesn't mean it's a sweet blend, but rather that the sharp edges of the Brown Twist have been taken off slightly with the addition of a hint of sweet rum. They also do this with Whiskey, Maple and Cherry (yeesh). But the Rum is the best of the bunch for me.

Also - I think the Brown Pigtail is a good suggestion. But I'd sure stay away from the Black stuff...unless you really like Latakia blends, for that smoke-like flavor, as the black ropes, twists, etc. are very smoke flavored.

Lastly - you might check these out...the Synjeco ropes and twists. While still a strong smoke, I think they are less potent that the Gawith ropes.

Link below:

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/2020.php?i5s1s2

Blackhorse":8116fn7y said:
If you're willing to take a rope that's been sliced already...

1. Peter Stokkebye Bull's Eye Flake:

pipes-cigars-tobacco_2229_55130220

2. Davidoff Flake Medallions

3. Peter Heinrich's Special Selection: Curly

Now if you want to play with a rope...which is loads of fun...I'd suggest:

Gawith, Hogarth & Co.'s Sweet Rum Twist. It's strong, no doubt about it, as it's made from the same ingredients as their Brown Irish X, and the "sweet" designation doesn't mean it's a sweet blend, but rather that the sharp edges of the Brown Twist have been taken off slightly with the addition of a hint of sweet rum. They also do this with Whiskey, Maple and Cherry (yeesh). But the Rum is the best of the bunch for me.

Also - I think the Brown Pigtail is a good suggestion. But I'd sure stay away from the Black stuff...unless you really like Latakia blends, for that smoke-like flavor, as the black ropes, twists, etc. are very smoke flavored.

Lastly - you might check these out...the Synjeco ropes and twists. While still a strong smoke, I think they are less potent that the Gawith ropes.

Link below:

http://www.synjeco.ch/pataall/taba/2020.php?i5s1s2
Stokkebye's Bulls Eye Flake is fantastic.

So, I take it this is the same Gawith Rum Twist that Ocelot is recommending as a wildcard in the New smoker's list?

You might want to address your question to him directly, but that would be my understanding, yes. He also recommends MacBaren VA Flake...which I find pretty temperamental...bitey if not cadenced just so. But again, we're all different in our perceptions. I mean, look at John Patton...he recommends McConnel's Maduro as his VA pick...when he has Quad Virginia or perhaps Courtyards right there! lol

My first rope was G&H Brown Bogie. I'll suggest it as a good place to start for that reason alone, as I can't think of any other.

DrumsAndBeer, one of the first ropes I had was Black Irish X and it was fairly soon in my pipe smoking career. Ropes are definitely not an everyday smoke, but the shelf life without jarring is a long time and it's very fun to play with the rope and experimenting with drying time, cuts, and ect. The reason I recommended the rum twist was it has a more appealing flavour profile.

BH, most MacBaren blends I've tried bite something fierce, so I was reluctant to pick up the Virginia Flake. Did it more on a whim actually. Found I had finished the tin in about two weeks. I was very surprised how much I liked it. Much better than Dunhill Flake, IMHO.

As always, YMMV.

Hey...I totally agree with you on the Sweet Rum Twist. But our experiences with the Micky B VA Flake are totally different. So many variables could play into that...just an interesting lesson in that regard I guess.

I always enjoyed hemp back when I smoked it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Bell's 3 Nuns isn't bad. A mild vaper that is nowhere as strong as the Lakeland ropes. It's sliced so it comes in little dime sizes coins.

Ocelot55":clxv6155 said:
My experience as well...I enjoy the unique presentation, but they are all too much for me.

On tobaccoreviews.com I did a search for blends that are considered medium strength or less and all I came up with is a few blends from a house I'm not familiar with, Synjeco, another I don't know, Gatlin-Burlier, and a Sam Gawith blend called Beacon Light Sweet Twist that only has a single review, albiet a 3 star review.

There is a medium-strong blend that's well thought of from G&H called coconut twist, but I tried it, and it tasted and had the strength of Brown Bogie, another of their twists which is very strong and IMO without flavor unless "full" is to be considered a flavor unto itself. Either they sent me the wrong stuff, or coconut twist is brown bogie under a different name.