Rubber bites

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter5117

Reaction score
Where and what brand of rubber bite protectors does everyone prefer. I had been using generic ones from my local B&M, which he gets out of a big bag he has under the counter. Lately a few of them have been splitting badly. Last tobacco order I got a dozen of the BJ Long protectors and they are much nicer, smooth thin rubber that shows no signs of splitting.

Is this the preferred brand or are there others? Thanks.

I dont use them kind of like putting seat covers on a car.I aint saving the stem for some one else.

I do use them but don't recall the name. I'll be going to the B&M tomorrow and will pick up another packet and check the name. I'm a clencher and the rubber bits make it much easier on my chompers. :face:

I also got mine from my local B&M and had the same problem. I did the same as you and ordered some on online. It appears that the BJ Long are a bit thicker. They have lasted twice as long.

Hey Hunter!
I like them and use them on my big heavy pipes.
We don't get them here in RSA, mine came from a friend in the US in a ziploc so I have no idea...........
Come to think of it, This is useless info I am sharing here! :confused: :suspect: :scratch: :scratch:

I've never used them, but now have a few pipes with buttons that have been buffed a bit too much. Hard to hold in the ol' teeth. Thanx for the info on "Bj Long" rubber bites! FTRPLT

I stopped by the B&M and picked up the latest Pipes and Tobaccos mag and grabbed a couple of packs of the rubber bits. These are made by BJ Long's and they're listed as Item #210. I put them on all of the pipes that I'm more likely to clench and haven't had any of them split or fall apart since I've started buying them.

I'd like to use them from time to time but the couple I got just tasted like rubber. I tried soaking them in whiskey, but they still tasted bad.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone know which brand is not like this?

prosmoking":il01q7ru said:
I'd like to use them from time to time but the couple I got just tasted like rubber. I tried soaking them in whiskey, but they still tasted bad.

Anyone else notice this? Anyone know which brand is not like this?

I've noticed no awkward tastes at all from the ones that I've used.

The ones I use are from BJ Longs as that's all my local shop carries. I take them off after I'm done smoking the pipe for the day. I like them because I can bite down on the stem to hold it in my mouth without worry of marring the stem. I'm not going to get rid of any of my pipes, but I like them to look good on the rack when they aren't being used.

-Jason

I bought a mega-bag of them on ebay (100 I think?) and they came without label, so I don't know the brand. They work fine and I tend to leave them on the pipes except when cleaning them. They seem to last about 2 to 3 years before they start to split, but I do ratate them a few degrees when I clean that pipe, as they always seem to split on the sides. . The only pipes I don't put them on are my churchwardens. Even those I don't clinch much (and all in all I really don't clinch my pipes with my teach much and almost never walk around with out in my mouth) have them, as I occasionally will need both hands free and may hold the pipe with my teeth for a few seconds. The one exception is a few that are dedicated to canoeing, where I will bite down hard on them when entering rapids, casting, or using the binoculars.

Never noticed a taste to them.

Natch

Never noted a rubber taste on mine either..........
Dang, Rimshot, Wait till PB sees this one!!!! :roll:

I love the concept of these, but I just cant get into using them. They just make the pipe stem too bulky to clench comfortably.

MisterE":z9w762nh said:
I love the concept of these, but I just cant get into using them. They just make the pipe stem too bulky to clench comfortably.
Agreed!

I think Softies are wonderful as they allow me to clench pipes I otherwise couldn't, and they prevent the stems of big heavy pipes from wandering about in my teeth.

MisterE":0pkx05xv said:
Ditto. Makes me feel like I have something bigger, fatter, and fleshier than a pipe stem in my mouth.

Not speaking from experience, by the way. I'm not that flexible.

alfredo_buscatti":2f1nr28y said:
I think Softies are wonderful as they allow me to clench pipes I otherwise couldn't, and they prevent the stems of big heavy pipes from wandering about in my teeth.
Agreed AB, especially big pipes!!

need to get a couple more packs tommorrow for latest acquisition and replenish others if they become unsuitable.

camo