Rubber gasket. . . can you taste it after a while?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2asprins

Reaction score
Greetings all! Just asking a quick question before hitting the sack. For all those out there using the mason jars and ball jars with rubber seals.. after a few years or many years of storage, does it seem like any rubber taste or smell imparts into the tobacco when popped open and smelled or smoked? If so, how does one avoid it and still use those type of jars?

Never tasted any rubber & never had a gasket perish either.

Never tasted any rubber either. Remember, the jars are made to store food over a long period of time; and some of that food can be acidic so the gaskits have to stand up. For as long as the jars have been in use, I don't think you'll have any problems with a rubber taste or deterioration.

Thanks so much for the replies. Just got home from long night at work and enjoyed a bowl full of CAO's Bella Vanilla, complimentary tin from the 2010 Chicago Pipe Show, (first time attender) and few fingers of Clan McGregor (for medicinal purposes only, sleep aid you know). First time tried it. It's not too bad, cool smoking, no bite. GREAT... concidering it's was free! LOL. I've been using the various sizes of Martha Stuart type wide mouth jars with the metal screw on lids and card board lining to some success, but I really am not storing but just keeping my blends at hand until desiring which one I want at the time. They are good for keeping moisture in for about six months before it starts changing. I figure it's time to make up some larger bulk and truely store them. I do have a great source for food grade tins that are perfect for 50 grams storage, just like the big boys, and they also have a heat shrink wrap band available for each size tin or jar or bottle they offer. What is nice about the company is that there is no minimum order. If you want only one item of the tons of glass or tin or whatever type containers they offer, you only have to order one. And they start at wholesale prices and get lower with larger quantities. I use them for giving out samples and gifts of my personal blends with my own labels and what not inside, all shrink wrapped and stays good for years. I even make my own pipe bowl and stem cleaner and bottle that in a little bottle with an eye dropper. LOL, I should go into business with all that.
Just in case anyone is interested, here is the link:

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index.asp

but please leave me some, I don't order very much. lol. Thanks for the advice, I have always wondered about the canning jars. Take care all, be safe, and I'm off to dream land for another day of Paridise at work.

I'm smoking several blends with ten to fifteen years in quart mason jars, and no rubber taste for me. But then, I've never been accused of having any taste at all, so I might not be a good reference.

Natch

Morning all. Thanks for the input, I believe it's finally time for me to start storing for the long term. Especially with all the hullaballoo on the taxes. The largest canning jars I have seen around here are the quart size, and not very often. Do they have them any larger with the wide mouth and rubber seals?