Rubber Pipey Bitty Bumpers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
So, I'm trying out these "Softy Pipe Bits" rubber things, and I like 'em in a way and don't like 'em in another.

I love the security in the mouth, doesn't feel like the heavier pipes are gonna pop out.

The problem: The square edge on the opposite side. You see, the mouth-side is nice and rounded, the other side is not. Where I clench (if and when I do clench, which I did not before these bumpers, for fear of ruining my stems), this 90° edge of unfinished sharp rubber sits right on my lower lip. It's terrible.

I may try to file these down or do something to round out the corner, but are there any manufactured that are a bit smoother?

The fine side of an emery board nail file should smooth them up nicely.

Crap, forgot I posted this. :lol:

So, I actually sanded down the edges with 200, 500 and 100, and made it a LOT better. Popped the sucker on the end of a small Sharpie to keep it a little more rigid, and worked around it until it seemed to calm that edge down.

Worked alright, might try some different angles to really get it smooth.

I used those on a few pipes awhile back and ended up tossing them. They are great, like you said, for clenching the bit and making the pipe feel secure. But after a while I noticed that the stem under the rubber tends to oxidize a lot faster than the rest. The reason, so far as I could tell was from the moisture that is held in place there against the stem.

I might have been able to get around that by removing and replacing the rubber every smoke but that kind of defeats the purpose for me.

murfman":0p880lq9 said:
I used those on a few pipes awhile back and ended up tossing them. They are great, like you said, for clenching the bit and making the pipe feel secure. But after a while I noticed that the stem under the rubber tends to oxidize a lot faster than the rest. The reason, so far as I could tell was from the moisture that is held in place there against the stem.

I might have been able to get around that by removing and replacing the rubber every smoke but that kind of defeats the purpose for me.
Weird, i've had the complete opposite experience and the rest of the stem is oxidized and if I take off the rubber it's still jet black where it was covered.

Strange. I wonder if it has to do with the stem quality, or how nasty my mouth is then? ;) In all honesty I am at something of a loss now...

I have an old Peterson that the second I walk outside on a humid day it turns green so I just gave up buffing it I'll just leave the patina, but under the rubber is still black. go figure. I say embrace the oxidation, gives a pipe character and a nice aged look.

Well, mouth "nastiness" notwithstanding :lol:, people's body chemistry can be different, then adding to the mix smoke and the combusted contents liquified in solution with saliva, then put in close proximity to your vulcanite stems, so it's possible to my mind that different or sped-up oxidation might happen from person to person.

It's all chemistry, when it comes down to it!

Kyle Weiss":9t4rm7dq said:
So, I'm trying out these "Softy Pipe Bits" rubber things, and I like 'em in a way and don't like 'em in another.

I love the security in the mouth, doesn't feel like the heavier pipes are gonna pop out.

The problem: The square edge on the opposite side. You see, the mouth-side is nice and rounded, the other side is not. Where I clench (if and when I do clench, which I did not before these bumpers, for fear of ruining my stems), this 90° edge of unfinished sharp rubber sits right on my lower lip. It's terrible.

I may try to file these down or do something to round out the corner, but are there any manufactured that are a bit smoother?
Which brand are you using? I have the same problem, on some of my pipe it is better to put it on backward, I may try smoothing them some how with a buffer of something if I come up with a good solution I will post it.

Briar Boy":1ovnnbwb said:
Which brand are you using? I have the same problem, on some of my pipe it is better to put it on backward, I may try smoothing them some how with a buffer of something if I come up with a good solution I will post it.
AAAADITpdYsAAAAAACSESw.jpg

Exactly these guys.

I got great results with 150 grit sandpaper, putting the bit thick-side first on a medium-sized Sharpie pen, doing even "circles" on a flat surface upon the sandpaper, then repeat the same trick on 500 grit sandpaper to smooth it out. A cotton-swab to remove any sand as to not scratch the stem, and voila, problem solved. 8)

MisterE":strxoq7y said:
Some people like to use rubber tubing instead of softees for just this problem.
I use a black vinyl tubing available in any hardware store. It's cheap, far more durable than rubber, and you can cut it to whatever length you want. Soften it in hot water before slipping over the bit. I also recommend removing the bit first to obviate inadvertent strain on the shank when forcing it on. I hate using anything on the bit, but it's almost a must for active outdoor use and while driving. Ever drop a lit pipe in your lap at freeway speeds? Ain't gonna happen if you're chomped down on a solid piece of rubber or vinyl.

By the way, there is a tool for removing rubber or plastic edges, used in the blow-molding industry. I've seen them use it. It kind of lightly bevels the edge, simply by drawing lightly along the edge. Obviously a razor or something inside. What it's called or where you would get one eludes me, but they're out there.

Richard, when you suggest "a black vinyl tubing," what is the tubing's original purpose? I'd like to try some (or any alternate tubing, truthfully) because the rubber bits are good, but they're pricey, and in some instances, too darned think.

I was also considering the shrink tubing used for electrical wiring. I have ton of that, and it's cheap.

Kyle, I don't really know what the tubing is used for, but it was easily found. Comes in at least two sizes, but I can't remember which I chose. Big help, right? It may possibly be used for water line for refrigerator freezers, the ice-cube maker thingy, but I don't know. It does feel a bit thick to the bite, I hate it, but it's effective, and one does almost get used to it. The shrink tubing, I hear, is the way to go if you can find the right size. It's much thinner and quite durable. I couldn't find any without buying huge amounts, so the hell with that. I only want it on beater pipes anyhow.

Hahaha yeah, big help... :p It's cool, I'll just go in and be as uninformed as the equally-clueless Home Depot folks and see what turns up. 8)

Harbor Freight is a chain store of junk tools from China that sells all sorts of stuff, including shrink tubing, have literally miles of the stuff for electronic projects--might as well see if it works!

Richard Burley":e88ff8nd said:
MisterE":e88ff8nd said:
Some people like to use rubber tubing instead of softees for just this problem.
I use a black vinyl tubing available in any hardware store. It's cheap, far more durable than rubber, and you can cut it to whatever length you want. Soften it in hot water before slipping over the bit. I also recommend removing the bit first to obviate inadvertent strain on the shank when forcing it on. I hate using anything on the bit, but it's almost a must for active outdoor use and while driving. Ever drop a lit pipe in your lap at freeway speeds? Ain't gonna happen if you're chomped down on a solid piece of rubber or vinyl.

By the way, there is a tool for removing rubber or plastic edges, used in the blow-molding industry. I've seen them use it. It kind of lightly bevels the edge, simply by drawing lightly along the edge. Obviously a razor or something inside. What it's called or where you would get one eludes me, but they're out there.
I actually had the joyous experience of the pipe in the lap while driving the others day, brings new meaning to the word "multitasking" I made it through alright though no burns in my clothes and didn't wreck the truck :)

I use the rubber softy bits on a few of my pipes, I really like them but have the same problem with the sharp inner edge and it sometimes drives me nuts. I'm going to try knocking that edge off with a nail file or something. I would also like to try the vinyl tubing method, I heard that it is a little thicker then the softy bits so they might widen your bite a little but oh well.

Kyle Weiss":oe04i0qe said:
So, I actually sanded down the edges with 200, 500 and 100, and made it a LOT better. Popped the sucker on the end of a small Sharpie to keep it a little more rigid, and worked around it until it seemed to calm that edge down.
What I didn't go into is the method.

Once the rubber bit is on the end of the Sharpie, the to-be-sanded side outward and hanging off the edge by about 1/8 an inch, place a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, and with the Sharpie/bit pointed straight down, work the assembly on the sandpaper and sand in circles. This keeps the edge as even as it can be, and only works the outside of the bit, the part where your lips might touch it. Go from 200, 500, 800, to 1000 (or whatever, just some reduction in grit size), and wipe away any grit (so not to scratch the stem) and pop the little bastard on. The unscented SPF 15 lip balm I protect my vulcanite stems with is a good lubricant to help with that part, especially since the newly sanded edges will want to fold inward as you attempt to install it.

Works brilliantly.

I like the concept of the rubber thingy to protect the bit and give you a softer surface on which to bite. But I cannot get past the taste. I always wind up with a mildly funky taste in my mouth after using one of those for a smoke. I get the same taste from certain synthetic pipe bits when they are new, although it abates as the pipe breaks in. The problem with the rubber thingies is that the taste does not go away. :tongue:

Maybe vinyl would taste better. :?: :no: