Running

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB-5

Reaction score
Hello all. So in April 2010 I looked in the mirror and didn't like what I saw. I was "obese" 5'10" 270lbs (122.5kg for my RSA brothers). Now, I have been fat for as long as I can remember. I remember wearing sweatpants to school eveyday in the 5th grade because they fit no matter what size I was.....I digress.

April 15th I went down to the main road, a gravel lane up the side of a mountain, and started walking. I felt good enough so in a couple days i started jogging. I lost a few pounds and started running. Now I run 2 miles 4 times a week. Between that and watching my food (I have been using the glycimic index) i am down to 198 (89.8Kg) after 5 months.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

So any of the brothers here run for fitness or sport? How do you like to run? A leisurely jog, or running like you stole something?

What kind of exercise do you do, if you do any at all?

Hi RB,
Congrats on losing the weight, I have a diploma in Fitness & Nutrition so it is something I enjoy when people set out on a fitness regime and acheive their goals :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I myself have always been a bit of a gym nut and lifted weights for a good few years. I raced competitive downhill mountain bike until about a year ago when I discovered that at 40 my bones are not as supple as in my youth. The ol' body doesn't bounce anymore it just breaks :bball:

I enjoy long walks with the wife and kids and now with our summer season starting up the beach and mountains are calling.
Good luck with your fitness program and props for sticking with it. :)

not a runner, but a gym rat. i married a gal a tad bit younger than me, and all her friends were young guys, college guys, got me feeling a little, shall i say, jealous. anyway, it motivated me to hit the gym and i started out kind of like you did, easing into it. after a year, i was seriously hooked. i'm now going on five years, 5 days a week. exercise, as you've discovered, is addictive, and besides pipe smoking, the best stress reliever i've found. whatever you do don't stop. on the day you don't feel like hitting the pavement, that's the day you've got to do it. congrads, by the way. it's a huge accomplisment.

I run 2 miles maybe 3 times a week and lift in the gym 4 times a week. Went from 282 pounds to 215 in about 15 months. It's important that you mix in some weight training with your running so you build a strong body, not just a skinny one. When you eat a high protein low carb diet (not Atkins-type severe stuff, just get your carbs from vegetables and stay away from breads) and lift weights your body will use it's fat stores and build some good muscle mass at the same time. Running, or any other kind of cardio that is maintained for at least a 20 minute period, will boost your metabolism and aid in your weight loss.

What you have to think of now is, what do I want to be like when I've lost this extra fat? Do I want to be thin with endurance and runners legs or do I want to be strong and fit from head to toe with a muscular physique? Neither answer is wrong as you'll probably be pretty healthy either way, but the health and fitness benefits are so much greater with the total body strength physique. You should consider hitting a gym or getting a Bowflex and giving it a solid 90 days and see if you don't love the difference in yourself. Mix in compound exercises and isolation exercises and do a four day split, running in the mornings and lifting in the evenings. You'll sleep like a baby :sleep:

Congrats on the weight loss, and keep at it!

Thank you for your replies guys!!

Blue: I love downhill mt. biking. I have a bike that I ride a couple times a week. If you don't mind I may pm you some questions about nutrition when I go from cutting to bulking...if that is okay with you??

Bruins: Always great to hear from you homie!! I know the feeling about a young wife. I am 31 and my wife is 23.

Puff: Thank you for the reply. I cut a mess of wood 2-3 times a week and have a weekly regiment of push-ups, pull-ups and kettlebell swings/turkish get ups that I do for muscle endurance.

RB-5":spt6ptws said:
Thank you for your replies guys!!

Blue: I love downhill mt. biking. I have a bike that I ride a couple times a week. If you don't mind I may pm you some questions about nutrition when I go from cutting to bulking...if that is okay with you??
No problemo PM away I am always keen to impart some info :)

RB-5":bf4mbrw7 said:
I know the feeling about a young wife. I am 31 and my wife is 23.
as we like to say of a pipe purchase: nice score!

you've got awhile to go before getting to this, but once you hit 40, you've got to start thinking about your joints. they're typically the first thing to give you problems, and a serious injury can throw you out of the game. you've got a nice chunk of years to, as puff daddy described, get a solid core fitness. go slow. make sure you work the whole body, not just the ones that are fun to look at in the mirror. protect your knees, elbows and wrists and shoulders. that means, if you get into lifting, taking the time to learn proper technique. find a trainer. it will be worth the money.

bruins":a0xdg5ha said:
RB-5":a0xdg5ha said:
I know the feeling about a young wife. I am 31 and my wife is 23.
as we like to say of a pipe purchase: nice score!

you've got awhile to go before getting to this, but once you hit 40, you've got to start thinking about your joints. they're typically the first thing to give you problems, and a serious injury can throw you out of the game. you've got a nice chunk of years to, as puff daddy described, get a solid core fitness. go slow. make sure you work the whole body, not just the ones that are fun to look at in the mirror. protect your knees, elbows and wrists and shoulders. that means, if you get into lifting, taking the time to learn proper technique. find a trainer. it will be worth the money.
As per usual, very sound advice. Thank you.

I lift weights....

...16oz. at a time :cheers:

Way to go on the weight loss dude!
when I graduated high school (back in 84) I weighed in at 210lbs. (@6'0 ht) I had played football, lifted weights etc, so was in good shape, but within a couple years had gotten soft and weighed in at about 250. Wake up call was when my grandmother (who I hadent seen in a couple years) said "why, your FAT" very matter of factly. She was right. First step, I quit drinking beer and lost about 20 lbs pretty quick then cut out junk food and just got busy with projects around the house- Landscaping and such, things that made me sweat. I got down to about 185 but finally leveled off at 190-195 when I started lifting weights again.
Now that I'm over 40 It's more difficult to keep off the weight so the earlier you get into those good eating and exercise habits the better. I could stand to loose about 15 lbs now, but damn it's hard, especially with so many good beers out there to try :D .

EJinVA":2o2ubpae said:
I could stand to loose about 15 lbs now, but damn it's hard, especially with so many good beers out there to try :D .
man i'm with you there. i can turn down everything but booze. i eat super strict during the week and then drink what i want on the weekend, but damn...when you like oatmeals and stouts...whoo, that's a lot of calories.

bruins":6is7in5x said:
EJinVA":6is7in5x said:
I could stand to loose about 15 lbs now, but damn it's hard, especially with so many good beers out there to try :D .
man i with you there. i can turn down everything but booze. i eat super strict during the week and then drink what i want on the weekend, but damn...when you like oatmeals and stouts...whoo, that's a lot of calories.

MMMMMMMM BEEER!

EJinVA":dd5vjrvw said:
MMMMMMMM BEEER!
and bourbon...
and rum...
and wine--except wine doesn't count as a cheat because of it's antioxidents. it's like a vitamin! (at least that's what i tell myself when my wife busts out a bottle on a wednesday. oh, she's an evil temptress.)

Wow, RB-5. Those results are quite huge. Shortly after you did I made a similar change. Started running (also about 4 times a week) and taking long bike rides whenever I could. I also replaced two liters of Cola a day with water and dropped snacks and unhealthy stuff from my diet. A pretty huge change, but unlike you without a noticeable change to my weight and body (I don't have a scale, so I might've lost a little, but not visibly so). Anyway, regardless of the lack of results it makes me feel better and I'm actually starting to enjoy the running, so I keep going.

When I run I have a tendency to rush a little, but I force myself to a calm pace so I can go as far as possible.

fmw":me8rtera said:
Wow, RB-5. Those results are quite huge. Shortly after you did I made a similar change. Started running (also about 4 times a week) and taking long bike rides whenever I could. I also replaced two liters of Cola a day with water and dropped snacks and unhealthy stuff from my diet. A pretty huge change, but unlike you without a noticeable change to my weight and body (I don't have a scale, so I might've lost a little, but not visibly so). Anyway, regardless of the lack of results it makes me feel better and I'm actually starting to enjoy the running, so I keep going.

When I run I have a tendency to rush a little, but I force myself to a calm pace so I can go as far as possible.
Good for you man!! Cutting out all that sugar and running I'm sure has made you feel much better. Thank you for your kind words.

Congrats on the weight loss!

I run 5K once or twice a week and walk on the non-run mornings. I haven't been able to arrest my weight just yet though, so I'm a rather overweight athlete.

ShellBriar":m78tnvob said:
Congrats on the weight loss!

I run 5K once or twice a week and walk on the non-run mornings. I haven't been able to arrest my weight just yet though, so I'm a rather overweight athlete.
Way to go ShellBriar. I'm working my way to 5k. I think it is more a mental block for me at the moment but 3.2 miles just makes my lungs hurt thinking about it! :D

I've fought the battle my entire life, sadly. I am an on and off at the gym currently.This is mainly due to my job and other responsibilites the only time I have to go to the gym is before 5am soo it is tough to motivate myself.

I do not run any more as the Army took the desire to run out of me. Unless I am running for a beer, I walk :lol:
I enjoy riding biks and now that the temps have dropped below 100F and the nights are cooling off I will be taking my son out to the mountain bike trails on the weekends. I ride the road too and have a nice old steel frame road bike that I love to ride. It feels like a sportscar compaired to the mountain bike.

Congrats for getting out there though! It takes lots of motivation to do so.

LAEarl":cs8ypemy said:
I've fought the battle my entire life, sadly. I am an on and off at the gym currently.This is mainly due to my job and other responsibilites the only time I have to go to the gym is before 5am soo it is tough to motivate myself.

I do not run any more as the Army took the desire to run out of me. Unless I am running for a beer, I walk :lol:
I enjoy riding biks and now that the temps have dropped below 100F and the nights are cooling off I will be taking my son out to the mountain bike trails on the weekends. I ride the road too and have a nice old steel frame road bike that I love to ride. It feels like a sportscar compaired to the mountain bike.

Congrats for getting out there though! It takes lots of motivation to do so.
Thank you LAEarl. My road is great for mt biking. I live at the foot of a mt called stoney point, takes about 40 min to get to the top and about 10 to get down!! :cheers:

It's great to have family to go with also, really helps the motivation.

Never could stand traditional sports/activities...I can't stay focused long enough for a long jog or bike ride, I envy the self motivation of those who do. Traditional sports (football, baseball, soccer, etc) kinda bore me too, so I do this to keep fit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTAdM9tLWc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSYsve24No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiLeMPFS3Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0VSvLD3xA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2_Dbyovj4

Granted I am not quite as good at it as the guys in the tournament videos, but I still think I'm a badass anyway ;)