Rust inside of Samuel Gawith Tins

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeroWolfe

Reaction score
I popped a tin of Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake today; I have had the tin for about 3 years. I noticed that the inside of the tin was starting to rust a bit. The tins do not seem to be coated to be rust-resistant like the C&D and McClelland tins. The tobacco is packed in some foil covered paper, which keeps the tobacco from contacting the rust on the inside of the can. Does anyone else have experience with cellaring Gawith tins??

P.S.: I have smoked a few bowls, and the tobacco is A-OK.....But what about 10 years from now; will a rust covered interior have an effect on the tobacco?????

To avoid any future headaches, I would jar all of the tins that you have on hand. The only reason to keep tobacco in tins (IMHO) is for resale value. If you plan on enjoying the tobacco yourself, jar it up! Why take any chances???

I would think that rust is a sign of something more ominous. In order to have rust, you need oxygen. O2 should not necessarily be present in tobacco of that age, and the rust process itself should have helped contribute to reducing the O2 even more (the oxygen absorbers they sell for preserving food are just iron filings in a mesh paper teabag, they rust and remove the O2 from the container).

If you are getting a considerable amount of rust, then you must have leaky tins.

Having said all this, what Dover said.

I just rec'd a shipment from Peretti's Full of rust, at least these tins were NOT made for storage, Ken :tongue:

Like Ken above, I've posted in the past about Peretti's tins rusting, I've had one that was so bad could could literally (not figuratively) pour powdered rust out of the tin! Ruined the better part of my tobacco, as the bag inside wasn't sealed.

Natch

DoverPipes":z2q5v4cu said:
To avoid any future headaches, I would jar all of the tins that you have on hand. The only reason to keep tobacco in tins (IMHO) is for resale value. If you plan on enjoying the tobacco yourself, jar it up! Why take any chances???
Dang Dover, now why did I not think of it in that way!!!!
Noticed some heavy rust in some King Fisher that was Tinned 6 months ago!
It really had me worried!
Thanks!