Rye

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hows about a Rye thread???

I picked up a bottle of Jim Beam Rye the other day, and it's not too bad. Not as good as the Wild Turkey, but for the cost it aint bad. I think I'll keep exploring the Ryes for a while. It seems the different ABC stores locally carry different brands, although they all have the JB. :drunken: :pipe:

Howz about it, INDEED !!

So far I have tried (in order of fave to least fave):

Wild Turkey 101 Rye
Rittenhouse 80 proof
Old Overholt

others Ive tried have a rye character but are not classified as "rye" so.......there ya go. Not listed

Jim Beam is the only Rye whiskey that we can get at the ABC stores here in NC. It's not bad but not great either. It is approximately $17 a fifth here and you can only get it in a fifth. For now I am sticking with Old Crow since it is pretty good and I can get it in the half gallon for about the same price as JB Rye.

you gentlemen are out of luck when it comes to rye

up here in alberta we have a bunch of rye and i'll list them in order of my faves

Tangle Ridge
Crown Royal cask No.16
Crown Royal
Gibson's Finest
Alberta Springs and of course these all come in different ages and blends
we also have wild turkey and probably about 10 more independent brands which escape my mind right now

The CR cask 16 is actually finished witha bit of cognac and a 26oz cost me an whopping $89...but what a great christmas :drunken: :santa:

SmokeyTweed":s1c0523z said:
you gentlemen are out of luck when it comes to rye

up here in alberta we have a bunch of rye and i'll list them in order of my faves

Tangle Ridge
Crown Royal cask No.16
Crown Royal
Gibson's Finest
Alberta Springs and of course these all come in different ages and blends
we also have wild turkey and probably about 10 more independent brands which escape my mind right now

The CR cask 16 is actually finished witha bit of cognac and a 26oz cost me an whopping $89...but what a great christmas :drunken: :santa:
I didn't know CR was considered a rye.
There is a world of difference in the taste of Sazerac, Old Overholt, and Wild Turkey Rye and CR. The former being much more peppery.

For the price, Rittenhouse is tough, if not impossible to beat, and has won North American Wiskey of the Year a couple times. Nice stuff.

The Rendezvous Rye from High West Distillery is outstanding, though a bit spendy.

Crown Royal, by the way, like many Canadian Whiskeys does have some rye content, and, therefore, is considered Rye up north, but it cannot, under US labeling laws, be called Rye, as it is not predominately made from that grain.

I do like Old Portrero, but to my tastes, it lacks the spice of some of the "lesser" products.

-glp

The best I have ever had is Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye. Of course I have not had access to the variety mentioned above.

I picked up a bottle of Michter's rye a while back... it's a nice whiskey, but it lacks that rye "spice" I look for.

(Also, I learned in my searchings that the Michter's today is a revived marque and almost totally unconnected to the old products connected to the Michter name.)

glpease":99nhom8r said:
For the price, Rittenhouse is tough, if not impossible to beat, and has won North American Wiskey of the Year a couple times. Nice stuff.

The Rendezvous Rye from High West Distillery is outstanding, though a bit spendy.

Crown Royal, by the way, like many Canadian Whiskeys does have some rye content, and, therefore, is considered Rye up north, but it cannot, under US labeling laws, be called Rye, as it is not predominately made from that grain.

I do like Old Portrero, but to my tastes, it lacks the spice of some of the "lesser" products.

-glp
Thanks for the info on this. I was wondering why you Yanks didn't consider it a rye whisky! :scratch:

SmokeyTweed":2eyolm5w said:
glpease":2eyolm5w said:
Thanks for the info on this. I was wondering why you Yanks didn't consider it a rye whisky! :scratch:
It puzzled me a bit, too, from the other direction. I've tried Crown Royal, and never considered it a Rye, though many of my Canadian mates referred to it as such. After a bit of head scratching, I did a little investigation. Subtle difference in taxonomy can certainly muddy the waters. (Similar to the way oriental tobaccos were once referred to as aromatic in the UK, and Latakia was just lumped in with the rest of them.)

Speaking of rye, there was an interesting thread on the Manhattan, in which I posted a recipe for my eponymous aperitif, the Gregorio, based loosely on the Negroni. Here's the recipe, for those who enjoy this sort of thing:

2oz Campari
2oz Sweet vermouth
1oz Rye (Canadian, Kentucky or Bourbon as alternatives)
Squeeze of orange (about 1/2oz)

Stir over ice until very cold, strain into cocktail glass, and garnish with a twist of orange peel. Or, serve on the rocks with a splash of Pellegrino. Very refreshing.

Note: If a lower proof than 100˚ rye is used, increase the amount to 1.5oz.

-glp

I seldom drink rye; but during my days (the 80's) of making the Canadian Airshow circuit, I drank quite a bit of "rye and ginger." Dern good drink!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I concur on the Rittenhouse 100 proof. I picked it up here in Jersey for less than $15. It makes a nice Manhattan.

[/quote]

Thanks for the info on this. I was wondering why you Yanks didn't consider it a rye whisky! :scratch:[/quote]

It's something of a Canadian tradition to call any whisky from Canada 'rye.' My father drank 'rye' his whole life, but I don't think I ever saw him actually drink rye. Ah well. As I understand it, once upon a time these whiskys were dominated by rye (the US regulations call for a minimum of 51% today to use the term) but rye is a relatively expensive grain and so most producers switched over to a mash of various other grains as well. Exciting story, no? But if you are in a bar in Canada and order a "good rye," you're likely to be served something like Crown Royal.

Anywho...I totally agree on the Van Winkle 13 year old Rye. It's pretty delish. And that's coming from someone who tends to prefer softer, sweeter, Bourbon.

Picked up some Old Overholt to give a try; comprable in taste to the Jim Beam Rye. Cost a couple of dollars more with more headache the next morning :drunken:.

EJinVA":fkpgk7me said:
Picked up some Old Overholt to give a try; comprable in taste to the Jim Beam Rye. Cost a couple of dollars more with more headache the next morning :drunken:.
Old Overholt ain't what he used to be.

A friend brought over a very old bottle, probably dating back to the 1960s. It's been well stored, and wasn't short filled, so I figured it would be good. Whiskey doesn't really age in the bottle, so what we tasted was pretty much what was put in many years ago. The stuff was excellent. A little spicier, a little rougher than the modern version, but filled with rye character. If I could buy THIS, I would. The modern stuff? Not so much.

Rittenhouse, at under $20, remains the house rye here. Can't beat it.

-glp

The popularity of bourbon and rye has been a boon with increased choice and availability,,,all sorts of premiums are now on the shelves,,,along with increased demand comes wild fluctuating prices,,,Van Winkle rye at $63 a bottle seems a bit high,,Makers Mark jumped to $44,,Rittenhouse out of sight at $ 34,,,on the flip side,,,,Wild Turkey rye flew home with me at just $17 ,,,,,as did Old Grand-Dad bourbon at $17,,,,and Beam Rye for $18,,, I guess I don't understand,,,,

mark":48qw6g1b said:
The popularity of bourbon and rye has been a boon with increased choice and availability,,,all sorts of premiums are now on the shelves,,,along with increased demand comes wild fluctuating prices,,,Van Winkle rye at $63 a bottle seems a bit high,,Makers Mark jumped to $44,,Rittenhouse out of sight at $ 34,,,on the flip side,,,,Wild Turkey rye flew home with me at just $17 ,,,,,as did Old Grand-Dad bourbon at $17,,,,and Beam Rye for $18,,, I guess I don't understand,,,,
Now, I don't understand. I did a quick search, and found Rittenhouse obtainable from three sources for significantly less.

BevMo has it for $17.39.
Shopper's Vinyard on sale for $14.99.
K&L Wines & Spirits for $19.99.

How can there be THAT much disparity in pricing? Damn...

At least you got a good price on the WT.

-glp

I can buy a liter of MM for 30 bucks.
Mark where you buying your whiskey?

I'm really liking the JB Rye. It seems to be a bit smoother every time I try it.