Rye

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EJinVA":9p4senzo said:
I'm really liking the JB Rye. It seems to be a bit smoother every time I try it.
Funny how that works. With every sip, things just seem to get better and better. ;)

-glp

glpease":ynin1asw said:
EJinVA":ynin1asw said:
I'm really liking the JB Rye. It seems to be a bit smoother every time I try it.
Funny how that works. With every sip, things just seem to get better and better. ;)

-glp
I'll say, that goes for baccy too. I opened a tin of your Key Largo a couple months ago, smoke a bowl on Sunday mornings with a cup of joe, and I must say each week it seems to get better.
It's these little pleasures in life that make it all worthwhile ain't it?

Rather than cross-post the same info, I posted a mini-review of Sazerac Six Year Straight Rye Whiskey in the Manhattans thread for anyone who is interested.

Mmmm mmmm...that is good stuff!

I keep hearing about all these wonderful Rye's out there, but unfortunately not many make it to our little corner of civilization. We are supposed to be able to order most anything but I've yet to hear back from our local ABC about an order for Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye I placed back in early November. The guy there said it was still on order when I checked in January.
Anyway, I'll keep looking, hoping...

EJ

When you are up in NJ with Mark, try the liquor stores up there; they are privately run and sell everything. If you can't find it in NJ cross into NY, stores are privately run there also.

bronxbill":cj7tlh3n said:
EJ

When you are up in NJ with Mark, try the liquor stores up there; they are privately run and sell everything. If you can't find it in NJ cross into NY, stores are privately run there also.
Thanks, I had that thought too. Anyone know what PA is like??? We'll be passing through there, probably stopping off at Boswell's for a break. Maybe we could check out some liquor store's there too.
It's a damn cryin shame when one lives close to the old moonshine capital of the world but has to go north of mason/dixon to get good booze.

Pennsylvania has Big Brother Stores, I believe. My ancestors there fared badly in the Whiskey Rebellion and it's been downhill ever since.

For the record, NJ will generally be a better deal than NY on liquor prices and taxes. All a matter of if they have what you want when you want it.

Doc Manhattan":h6af3d5c said:
Pennsylvania has Big Brother Stores, I believe.
Yep, this is correct. Mark & myself paid a visit to one in Chambersburg PA right after visiting Boswells. Their prices were lower than here in VA. Mark picked up a 5th of Wild Turkey Rye for $20 which is about $5 less than here. The only other Rye option was the ol Jim Beam which I picked up for $15 ($2 less than here).
Mark broke the seal on the WT that night & we partook with great pleasure :drunken: , Thanks Mark.
We didnt try to find one in NJ for time sake, but did manage to find a good little pizzaria on the way home.

That WT Rye sure was good with no ill effects the next morning before the show! :D And, EJ was a real trooper when I got to preach'n that night! :lol: Some people like to fight, I like to preach. :)

Justpipes":2qz6kit3 said:
That WT Rye sure was good with no ill effects the next morning before the show! :D And, EJ was a real trooper when I got to preach'n that night! :lol: Some people like to fight, I like to preach. :)
I'll say! I thought at some point I heard a heavenly choir singing "Amen".
But that could have just been that old Wild Turkey Gobbling :lol!: .

EJinVA":rkppysts said:
Justpipes":rkppysts said:
I'll say! I thought at some point I heard a heavenly choir singing "Amen".
But that could have just been that old Wild Turkey Gobbling :lol!: .
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

A friend from school slings gin at a bar with a staggering (90+) selection of whiskies. Last night I finally got to try the Old Potrero rye. It's made in California by Anchor Brewing (the same folks who make Anchor Steam Beer, one of my favorites.)

OP comes in two varieties, 18th Century & 19th Century. Both are 100% rye mash (no corn or wheat); they differ in that the 18th is aged in uncharred barrels and bottled at barrel strength, while the 19th (like bourbon) is aged in charred barrels and bottled at a standard strength.

Fortunately I tried the 19th first--delicious. Smells like multigrain bread and tastes like heaven.

All I can say about the 18th century is that it'll put hair on your chest. Even cut with a splash of water, it's fiery. I could tell it was made from good stuff--it has the same aroma as its cousin--but I found it kind of "one note" too fierce to savor.

And I won't mention the bourbon that found its way into my glass, because this is a rye topic.

(Of course I had a hell of a hangover this morning, a real college throwback. :drunken: But a night of a cute blonde pouring you free whisky, by definition, can't ever be bad.)