Sad Day in daBurg

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Big salary, bad knees, old age. Understandable. I don't know what his locker room leadership value was, that usually is what warrants keeping an aging player.

A big worry when they lost Kevin Green, Levon Kirkland, Greg Lloyd, they always rebounded with another great player.

Polamalu is probably not too far behind. One, maybe two seasons.

Yep. Life moves on . . . :cry:

How on earth he wasn't named Superbowl MVP after that 14-point swing, 100-yard pick six is something maybe Mr. Goddell can explain.

Q: Why does the Devil look in his closet before he goes to sleep at night ?

A: He's afraid James Harrison might be hiding in it.

:face:

The wife is going to be heart broken. Harrison is her favorite.

Yak":ogkure1s said:
How on earth he wasn't named Superbowl MVP after that 14-point swing, 100-yard pick six is something maybe Mr. Goddell can explain.
Because he's not a quarterback with no bagg...oh wait...never mind!

It'll be a sadder day in Cleveland when those asshats drop 6.5m per year on him guaranteed for 7 years with a 45m signing bonus.

He's 35, he has knee issues. Let it go.

Thing of it is, the team had him hold off on surgery 'til right up to training camp, hoping it would clear up on its own. It didn't, so he had the procedure. But check it out -- the more he played, the stronger he got. By the end of the season, he was James Fucking Harrison again.

He's old, sure. But he missed all those seasons when he was getting cut before the season started, so he's got much lower mileage on him than anyone else his age.

I can see it as a team move.

It just sucks.

"Mr. Goddell, how do you feel about James Harrison leaving the Steelers?"

"Fine. I'm sorry, what was the question? I hear that name and I automatically think fine."

"Hey guys as my first move at losing the job of GM at Cleveland I'd like The Ravens Kruger, Ellerbe, and Williams.. the Steelers Harrison.. Toss in Oaklands Des Bryant and Detroits Avril..Don't forget Groves from Arizona..Yeah that should be about $47million worth of misfits, old dudes, and just bad fits in general this year, lets do it.." - Lombardi

Somebody will give him two years, 10 million, half that guaranteed, half with playing incentives.

Unless the Browns get him first.

"Mr. Goddell, how do you feel about James Harrison leaving the Steelers?"

"Fine. I'm sorry, what was the question? I hear that name and I automatically think fine."
:cheers: :lol!:

It pains me to say it, but Mr. Harrison wasn't drawing double teams last season as he had previously. The Steeler D system depends on drawing doubles, otherwise, the opponent just dinks and dunks. Last year, opponents seemed content to put a RB or TE on Harrison and flip the ball to whatever spot Polamalu just left. Result: 8 - 8.

Plus the Steelers are notorious for letting young defensive players sit and watch while the vets who "know the system" handle the heavy lifting. In the new, improved, less hazardous nfl, this approach is problematic.

I think Harrison didn't get MVP in the Detroit SB at least partially because his highlight reel from that game also included him beating the snot out of an opposing player who had gone after his knees. He was landing some haymakers as the guy was down, then paused, looked around, didn't see a flag, so went back to work educating the fella. But he still has the SB record for longest pick six on his personal highlight reel.

It was always fun to watch Harrison play, especially against the Brownies. Against the Browns, he was totally hilarious (to Steeler fans). In one game, he even body slammed a drunken fan who forgot to stay in his seat.

Good bye and thank you, James. Steeler Nation will miss you.

Well, as I understand (?) it, Dick's "system" is predicated on the nose tackle drawing a double team. Which frees up the LBs to penetrate. If a DE manages also, it's gravy. Big Snack wasn't managing that. Plus, the way RBs were containing him was by wrapping their arms around his neck -- if it's Harrison, it isn't "holding." (The "Harrison" rule. Along with the Hines Ward Rule. Along with the Mel Blount rule . . .).

You can't fairly put the failure of the best defense against the run, second against the pass, and best overall to get them to the SB on JH. Not when you had Ben playing crippled the second half of the season, Byron playing 57 minutes with broken freaking ribs, Mike Wallace taking the whole season off, six fumbles in the Cleveland game, three OL starters out with rolled-up knees (thanks, Human Bowling Ball !) and crap like that. The whole second half of the season was a cluster experience.

I'm still gonna root for him. Even if he goes to Bawlmer. Just like for Woodson, when he left.

There was certainly calamity a-plenty this past season, and Coach T's ready supply of leadership nostrums couldn't possibly cover all of it. Can't remember when, post-draft, the scribes were raving about "Steeler luck" -- i.e, the best athlete available just happened to play the very position the team was looking to fill. Spencer, the Miami linebacker, might not make it back for the coming season if at all, I hear. And, yes, James led the league as the subject of no-call holding. Joe Greene was famous for supplying his own holding penalty.

On the bright side, they signed Bruce Gradkowski to a 3-year deal today.

It's the only way they can keep him from coming off some bum team's bench and beating them. (He's done that twice already).

The steelers seem to be deporting star names at a pace second only to Baltimore. Hope it's for the better and not just for the budget.

Wallace and Mendenhall were bums.

Good riddance.

The problem with the continual "go for it this year" mentality is you shove deferred money forward & end up not being able to afford your own team. Everything has to fall into place. And it never does. Injuries & the arrested development of high-round draft picks seem to be par for our course.

I dunno, you do have a couple of recent super bowl wins with Big Ben, it ain't been all for nothing.

Wallace is dangerous, Mendenhall is a brute when not injured. I have to think it's for locker room morale as much as it is for money.

Let's hope Tomlin is as good with young talent as Cowher was.

I am too P.O.'ed to comment civilly.

After loosing Hines Ward in the manner they did I concluded the Steeler's management has no class; now I think even less of them.

I surely don't like it either, A, but "the system" makes it inevitable.

It's a zero-sum game, and players have short careers to (hopefully) be "set" after.

Rod Woodson leaving pissed people off.

Joey Porter leaving " " "

Hines Ward " " " "

Now it's James Harrison.

But given the system, there's no viable alternative to playing "Triage" every year.