Sam Gawith - Squadron Leader et al.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoADayDanny

Reaction score
Just got an e-mail from Pipesandcigars that Squadron Leader is back in stock. Checked their site, and a number of other SG blends are available. After getting excited over a few false alarms, I am cautiously optimistic that this is for real. And this just after I bit the bullet and paid $25/tin to get some SL from a Canadian retailer.

I feel a case of TAD coming on! No wait, I'm sure it'll be long gone before I get paid again next week. :x

I love that this stuff comes in (Penzance as well) a measly three days after I receive my order. I hate giving the post office money.

Anyone else find it strange that PaC doesn't use the free, provided Priority Mail boxes, and even more sensible, the Flat Rate boxes? Boxes aren't cheap, and being able to provide the lowest shipping possible is a great service to customers. My last order could have fit into a the Small Priority Flat Rate box and saved one of us $4-5, not including the cost of the new box they used. I owned and operated a small music mailorder for more than a decade. Unless I'm missing some tobacco regulation in regard to mailing, this isn't smart business.

For a few minutes? C'mon... it was available for several hours. I don't see what anyone has to complain about.

Well, I haven't always had the best luck ordering from P&C, so I'll wait to start celebrating...

I've got my fingers crossed.

Incidentally (for those who are as desperate as I was) I had a very pleasant experience ordering from Walper Tobacco, up in the Great White North. The owner, Pete, was very personable; and shipping was prompt. When I first placed my order, Pete let me know that because of a Father's Day rush, he didn't have the tobacco in stock and needed to order it from his distributor--which would take a couple of days. I thought, "Here we go again. Another e-tailer who shows a tobacco in stock, and then can't deliver." To my pleasant surprise though, he was able to do exactly what he promised.

The only downside was the price.

Here's my rationalization. The amount of pleasure I will derive from the $25 I spend on this tin of tobacco greatly exceeds the amount of pleasure I derive from other things on which I spend a comparable amount of money. A modest dinner out? I might enjoy it for a couple of hours. A decent bottle of wine? Consumed over the course of two evenings. Heck, even a movie will run a guy 20 bucks or so, if he grabs some popcorn and a drink to go with it. And yet I don't think twice about spending money on those products/activities.

So spending $25 on a tin of tobacco might be rational. But why spend $25 for a tin of SL, when there are roughly 18,000 other English blends out there, readily available, for half the price or less? For me, it's because A) none of those other blends is quite the same as SL; and B) taste and scent are so incredibly powerful in evoking memories. It's the same reason people sometimes go to great lengths to acquire specific foods or beers or wines that they consumed at some happy time in their younger years.

It's perfectly reasonable... or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

Buying tobacco is a personal thing. If you're happy or derive pleasure from a tin that costs $25, so be it. As a new guy, I had plenty of other options to experiment with. $239 for a bottle of scotch? $100k for a car? A million dollar home? $25 sounds pretty reasonable to me. :)

Harlock999":ciqo4b4i said:
Well, I haven't always had the best luck ordering from P&C, so I'll wait to start celebrating...
If it shows up in your cart, I wouldn't understand why you wouldn't receive it. Maybe if more than one person was filling out their shipping information and simultaneously submitted their orders. They should have their stock #s in the database so when they run out, it won't let you order it. At this point, with digital checkouts, it should pretty much be an exact science. There's really little reason why anyone shouldn't get what their shopping cart said they ordered. If not, there's another way they could hone their business. Pretty silly to have a checkout system like that and still find themselves notifying people that they were out of stock for parts of their order.

Zeno Marx":8cd7gfpo said:
Harlock999":8cd7gfpo said:
If it shows up in your cart, I wouldn't understand why you wouldn't receive it. Maybe if more than one person was filling out their shipping information and simultaneously submitted their orders. They should have their stock #s in the database so when they run out, it won't let you order it. At this point, with digital checkouts, it should pretty much be an exact science. There's really little reason why anyone shouldn't get what their shopping cart said they ordered. If not, there's another way they could hone their business. Pretty silly to have a checkout system like that and still find themselves notifying people that they were out of stock for parts of their order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvWQ2UmVRQ
Still can't resist this one!

Hilarious, especially the part where he says he has no one to blame but himself for spending so much money buying shitty estate pipes on ebay. Love it! :lol:

What was the selling price per tin on Pipesandcigars? (I missed getting any but I'm curious about what a tin of SL is going for when it's available.)

If I understand this correctly SL is hard to come by on the other side of the pond?

So, which easy to acquire US blends am I missing out on living in blighty?

Ruta, it was $10/tin.

Gumball, I can't say that I know what's readily available in the U.K. and what's not. But I'd guess that you might not be able to get your hands on G.L. Pease blends as easily as we are here in the States. And if I'm right in that guess, then you are definitely missing out.

I received several tins today BBf & SL. I was suprised to not find any evidence of a date. is this usual for SG? Does anyone have any info on this?

"There's a story behind every bowl"

nosenhoj, there's no dating on my tins of SL... it must be the norm.

Cupojoes has 50g tins still in stock i know, i called b4 i orderd to verify. I ordered 3 tins lol. They are 12.99 a tin fyi