Samuel Gawith Trading Cards?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juanmedusa

Reaction score
I got two quite old tins of Samuel Gawith's Perfection recently. I bought a jar to put the contents of both in. Sometimes with these really old tins I like to pop them and jar them right away. Lets me know if I've lost the seals and have to rehydrate. In this case both tins sucked air! In the jar they went. I pulled out the wax paper holding the tobacco altogether just for ease when I did it. To my surprise in the bottom of the tins under the wax paper was a miniature Ziploc bag with some Samuel Gawith content printed on. Inside the bags were two little cards. On the front side is a picture of an actual Lakeland scene and on the back more Samuel Gawith information. Evidently there was a series of these collectible cards because they are numbered. These two were the same and numbered something like 17 of 23. I have never heard of these things. I was curious if anyone else had. What do you know about them? Does anyone collect these? What do you all think?

Ps, I know I'll need to add some pics. I'll have to borrow the wife's computer for that. Forgive me.

Wow, that's very exciting Juan and a little bit Willy Wonker. I've only been smoking a pipe for a pair of years and do enjoy Sammy G's flakes tremendously, but have never heard of this. I recon some of the 'seniors' may know. If they don't then it'll add to the intrigue. Perhaps you'll geta guided tour round the factory? !?!

Utterly disturbing avatar eklektos...truly.  

Juan I hate to tell you..but... What you have there are two of the now out of date golden tickets..if you'd opened them before they got conglomerated you, like young Mr Bucket over in the chocolate industry, would have been given the factory.  The other 3 golden tickets were never found either.  So.. Old Sam said screw it and gave it to his cousin Lou Gawith.. Not cousin Lou that sells wallpaper.. I'm talking about  the one that married that Hoggarth Girl.. The blond one, what was her name? Beth maybe?  Anyway, part of the mystery is solved and we can blame you for the merger but I'd still like to know where the other three tickets landed.

interesting juan I can't wait to see the pics and wonder what the cards say?

Bugsahearn":iko37247 said:
interesting juan I can't wait to see the pics and wonder what the cards say?
I still owe you the pics but I have one in front of me. It says:

[Front]
{Colorless landscape scene pictured}
"Brothers' Water & Kirkstone Pass"

[Back]
" THE ENGLISH LAKELAND

A series of 25 views. (This is no. 17)
The House of Samuel Gawith, Kendal
(Est. 1792)
Presented in each vacuum tin of Fine Tobacco.
Manufactured in the heart of the English Lakeland for 200 years.
Printed in England"

[The Bag]
"Samuel Gawith & Co. Ltd.
Kendal
Tel. 0539 720117"

Interesting juan how old is the tin? When did perfection first come on the market? Around 2000?

I have no idea. I got these from a b&m that's clearing out old forgotten tobacco from their warehouse. I got some Esoterica from the same bin that had a bag manufactured between 90 or 91 to 95. I haven't the slightest when Perfection was introduced. I kept one tin lid which I'll picture with the cards in case a slueth can spot any hints from the label. They still had several tins of Skiff Mixture. Maybe I'll try my luck at those.

Judging from the telephone number the card - if not the tin of tobacco - must date back to before April 1995.

After that all UK telephone numbers had a 1 inserted after the initial zero with SG's number now being 01539 720117.

puros_bran":vdckw4ci said:
Utterly disturbing avatar eklektos...truly.  

Juan I hate to tell you..but... What you have there are two of the now out of date golden tickets..if you'd opened them before they got conglomerated you, like young Mr Bucket over in the chocolate industry, would have been given the factory.  The other 3 golden tickets were never found either.  So.. Old Sam said screw it and gave it to his cousin Lou Gawith.. Not cousin Lou that sells wallpaper.. I'm talking about  the one that married that Hoggarth Girl.. The blond one, what was her name? Beth maybe?  Anyway, part of the mystery is solved and we can blame you for the merger but I'd still like to know where the other three tickets landed.

Wouldn't want you disturbed... :) My daughters say hi BoB.

Changing a pic won't magically make me less disturbed. The doc says it is most likely genetics.

High eklektos daughters!! :cheers:

chris":2hfupb4z said:
Judging from the telephone number the card  - if not the tin of tobacco - must date back to before April 1995.

After that all UK telephone numbers had a 1 inserted after the initial zero with SG's number now being  01539 720117.
Hi Chris,

That crossed my mind too. Chances are that's some old 'baccy!

Cool find John! I've seen these cards, but I can't for the life of me remember where. Just curious if you tried a bowl before sealing up the jars?
Mike.

I have one of these. It came in the very first tin of 1792 I ever bought back in the mid-to-late 90s.

IMG_zpspuzub9ng.jpg

IMG_0001_zps0nbbx1pa.jpg

See! Never doubt the Brothers. That's definitely one of them. Your pics will embarass the quality of mine. Pics to follow.

I didn't take the card completely out of the bag because I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it back in.

Cool! I love the samuel gawith bags too with the red print very old looking