Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onabullit

Reaction score
I really am enjoying this blend. I am usually not much for medium english, and haven't found anything with turkish that i particulary like. The coarser cut of the components allow for very easy packing, lighting, and an effortless cool smoke.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this blend. It was part of a 9 x 250 gram purchase I recently made. The box contained one ziplock folded over and the contents were quite spongey. Did this ever come in a foil pouch in the box in the 250 g format? if so when?

I guess it's been months since I ordered it in the 250g box. But that should be in a sealed foil bag, not a ziplock baggie.

I spoke with nate about this, he says that the 250 g boxes come in both foil and ziplock. I suppose this may be a later production. Damn good baccy!

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, quite hard to come by right now.

Mike

Liked it quite a bit. Had it and Commonwealth around the same time. The nod goes to Commonwealth.

Glad someone brought this up. I bought some bulk SG including a 250G box Kendal Cream Flake and 8 Oz. of G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake and was very nice moisture level as I like getting it with enough that I am not worried about it drying too much, but I also got a pound box SG FVF and it's not dry to the point of brittle, but dryer than I wanted it. I did add a bit (some drops) of Crown in to help. Have thought about opening one more tin of the 50G size that I know is very moist and combining it in for the moisture as I know it will transfer and level out over all of it.

Finally to my question...this didn't come in a zip lock and just a box with cellophane wrap over top and paper inside. Is this how it always come in a pound box?

Skip

yes skip,

1 lb SG flake boxes come only shrimkwrapped wrapped in a piece of paper on the inside. that is exactly the state my BBF arrived in and i rehydrated it with some blimpies over a few days
-Ben

Now there is a word I am unsure what it means, blimpies; so if you don't mind please explain what that is.

Skip

they are small football shaped humidifiers that you dip into distilled water and put in with your baccy. somewhat hard to find though but that is what they are called. I also put my cigar humidifier into a large tupperware with really dry baccy and htis does the job pretty quick.

OK thanks and I have a bunch of the cigar humidifiers, some round and maybe 1 1/2" across and some large like a candy bar size. However I still have my Humidor which will hold probably 5-6 boxes of cigars and it's almost empty and has very good humidity in it. It has this very large wood box with holes and some stuff inside it to hold moisture which has some of the propylene glycol in it and needs now to just add distilled water for probably the next year or so. It's very heavy and made from Purple Heart wood, works great. Maybe I will start using it as soon as I finish my last 4 cigars as don't think it would be a good idea to put them in the same space even though it has 2 levels.

Shame I was not going to use it any longer and thought about giving it to my son which smokes some cigars.

Heck I bet that I have a dozen of the large candy bar shape and the round ones combined so will try that if the drops of Crown don't do it enough.

Thank you again for the term enlightenment as I had not heard that name before. Don't have any football shaped ones, but think what I have will do if I can get them into that jar with the whole pound in it too. Or just have it hold as is until I finish my cigars unless someone thinks it wouldn't hurt to have them in the same box.

Skip

make sure to gently separate the flakes 8-12 hours into rehydrating, this will make them rehydrate a little more even. or else you will have moist flakes on the sides and dry in the middle.
-Ben

Thanks for that tip for sure. Right now I have it in a Qt. Jar and it's so full there is no way to put anything else in and the flakes are almost as long as the jar.

Skip

I think you misunderstood me the bulk comes in a zip lock that most dealers get in a 5lb bag the 1lb box is just sealed in plastic and most times not very well. As far as the 250g packages I have never bought one.

nate560":cjo6i9iw said:
I think you misunderstood me the bulk comes in a zip lock that most dealers get in a 5lb bag the 1lb box is just sealed in plastic and most times not very well. As far as the 250g packages I have never bought one.
Both my 250G boxes came in fine condition and the box was not bad, but not as moist as I would want to feel safe it wouldn't dry too much. So I am trying to just add a little. What I have is ready to smoke and unlike in a tin which is way moist which I would love it to be between that as if too moist it weighs more too which you loose some of when it dries a little.

I am well pleased with both of the 250G and the 8 Oz. size I got.
Skip

I'm hoping to find an actual tin of this to buy someday.

To those who have a stack of it stored - you've got a pile of gold. :king:

Matt

It's a go to blend, I'm working my way through a jar I put up a year and and a half ago, it's aged beautifully.

How long did you age it? I just bought 2 tins opened one...wasn't all that impressed. So I jarred it up and was going to let it sit. But how long? A year, 2, 5? Thoughts.
:?:

I found this one to have a lighter body, but an enjoyable sweetness. It was not as full as I expected, but I think I like it anyway. Need to smoke more to craft a better understanding of it.

You can't go wrong with Squadron Leader IMHO. Well worth trying Commonwealth too, its less tangy than its brother but is bursting out with cool latakia. Lovely stuff. :D

The SL was aged for about 2 years. I don't keep exact notes but I probably jarred it in the summer 2009.