SCHIP tax on pipe tobacco !!!!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The politicos are addicted to the money that cigarettes taxes bring in,that's it.
Schweinhunds!

Winslow :x

I have been thinking about this as to how it relates to those on this board. Many people are upset and believe it is wrong, as I do, but I don't expect to see a lot of complaining on this board because many here voted or expressed the intention to vote for the legislative and presidential faction responsible for passing SCHIP. Is it better to vote for candidates simply because you hate those that are currently in office at the time without considering the overall erosion of freedoms and ridiculous tax increases that you know are coming with those that were elected? Judging by the out come of this past election cycle most think it is ok. And when the tax cuts implemented during the past administration expire this year don't act so surprised and start whining when you suddenly realize that you are paying even more taxes than before when most were promised that they would not see any tax increases. Apparently the majority desired these tax increases and social agendas so if you voted for it, knowing that it was coming, don't complain about it! And when you see your children and grandchildren not being able to better themselves because the government is controlling their financial destinies through unfair taxes without representation, keep your mouths shut!

As long as you vote, you always have the right to complain. The only way anything ever changes is if enough people get together at the same time to complain.

Problem for us is, pipesmokers as a group are small. We apparently are not as offensive as cigars and cigarettes are. Especially cigarettes. Therein lies the instrument of our demise. More people want cigarettes stamped off the face of the earth, than don't. We get taken for a ride.

Justpipes":wbbv1fl6 said:
I have been thinking about this as to how it relates to those on this board. Many people are upset and believe it is wrong, as I do, but I don't expect to see a lot of complaining on this board because many here voted or expressed the intention to vote for the legislative and presidential faction responsible for passing SCHIP. Is it better to vote for candidates simply because you hate those that are currently in office at the time without considering the overall erosion of freedoms and ridiculous tax increases that you know are coming with those that were elected? Judging by the out come of this past election cycle most think it is ok. And when the tax cuts implemented during the past administration expire this year don't act so surprised and start whining when you suddenly realize that you are paying even more taxes than before when most were promised that they would not see any tax increases. Apparently the majority desired these tax increases and social agendas so if you voted for it, knowing that it was coming, don't complain about it! And when you see your children and grandchildren not being able to better themselves because the government is controlling their financial destinies through unfair taxes without representation, keep your mouths shut!
Hear hear

Justpipes":mrbvneb8 said:
That's the way I see it.

I just got through ordering another $150.00 worth of pipe tobacco from Pipes and Cigars. With what I already have hoarded this should carry me through this year and a start on next year.

I have a question about SCHIP. Don't know that anybody has the answers. Will they classify Prince Albert, Carter Hall, etc. as Roll your own cigarette tobacco or pipe tobacco?

I predict that there will be confusion in this area and that Congress will immediately pass FITTA (Fairness In Tobacco Tax Act). This would bring the taxes on pipe tobacco up to equal the tax on Roll your own tobacco.

What do you think?

Stan41

I broached this subject on other SCHIP threads....that is, using PA, CH, Granger, Half& Half, etc. for RYO. Again, that's what the "old guys" did when I was a mere child!

This SCHIP legislation is just another way of the electorate voting themselves "largesse" (to paraphrase Thomas Jefferson) from the public Treasury! I don't really think the Founding Fathers intended for me, or anyone else, to pay someone else's mortgage, child's health insurance, or any other expenses for which they are personally responsible :evil: FTRPLT

BTW....Might be time to move this to the Rubber Room!! If I really get "wound up" about this, things could get extremely ugly extremely fast :twisted:

ftrplt":q5j2irxn said:
BTW....Might be time to move this to the Rubber Room!! If I really get "wound up" about this, things could get extremely ugly extremely fast :twisted:
Easy, fella. Easy!! I thought about the rubber room but decided to place it
here to allow more discussion.

So, if you can hang it together, go kick the dog in place of "losing it" here
since "we" need to talk about this for everyone's benefit. :study:

It has become accepted practice for congress, both parties, to promote the use of sin taxes for a social cause. "it's for the children" is a card most often played.

Drinking is still more social accepted than smoking. But they will be a target down the road.

So, y'all gonna make a list of all your guns and send it in so y'all can start paying your gun owners tax that has been proposed?

Oh, what about the mileage tax proposed by a good Republican. You drive so many miles and get taxed on those miles. Oh yeah. Obama shut that idea down. For now.

Products we purchase or need to buy to live and get to work, often do not reflect their true value of cost to make, plus a fair profit. They often times have a demanded profit margin starting with the maker/farmer/ore miner/etc and that continues though several steps or levels of middlemen. All demanding huge profits for handling. Add to that shareholders who demand profits and are unwilling to accept any risk. How do you control the markets? Have the big bad Federal government step in. Only big business has learned that if they lobby/purchase/payoff that same politician working to control them, they can get loopholes.

The proposed gun tax is HUGE!

There is a move on in Illinois for insurance mandates for legal gun owners. From my understanding (I've not read much yet, but I plan to) you the gun owner will be required to purchase liability insurance $1 MILLION minimum coverage (insurance which to date no carriers even offer) or be guilty of Federal crimes if this bill gets passed. The goal here would be to make owning a gun and insurance coverage would be so prohibitive as to effectively make owning a gun financially impossible for the average citizen. :bounce:

I'll try to find some sources in the coming days, so far the MSM is pretty dead on the subject, I'm sure efforts are being made to keep this one under the radar. I'll post my finding in the Rubber Room as I'm sure the subject will be 'too sensitive' for discussion in here. :shock:

To date my only source

I'm sure the next 'health care' issue and focus will be obesity.

Ok, OK!! I ain't kickin' my dogs :lol!: However, I still think a McDonald's "french fry" tax would be akin to a tax on "tea!" :twisted: FTRPLT

Justpipes":xwmlk3pf said:
Is it better to vote for candidates simply because you hate those that are currently in office at the time without considering the overall erosion of freedoms and ridiculous tax increases that you know are coming with those that were elected?

Hope and Change, baby!
:lol:

I'm getting out of Illinois when I retire,moving South to Va.,and taking my guns
with me.The government in this state is so corrupt on so many levels that it boggles
the mind.Three governors have done prison time for corruption since I could vote,
and another little weasel is about to.[Blagoivich] The buffoon who was placed in the
senate[Burris] has told so many lies about his appointment that he can't remember
what he said. :x

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":uoasc4ef said:
I'm getting out of Illinois when I retire,moving South to Va.,and taking my guns
with me.The government in this state is so corrupt on so many levels that it boggles
the mind.Three governors have done prison time for corruption since I could vote,
and another little weasel is about to.[Blagoivich] The buffoon who was placed in the
senate[Burris] has told so many lies about his appointment that he can't remember
what he said. :x

It's helping to sell newspapers. :)

With declining numbers like this just for pipe tobacco it's easy to
see how the tax burden will transfer to the general public........

Expressed in millions of pounds..........
Year ... Vol Sold ..... Change %
2000 .... 9.9 Mlbs .... -8% (change % is a SM est.)
2001 .... 9.1 Mlbs .... -8% (change % is a SM est.)
2002 .... 8.2 Mlbs .... -10% (change % is a SM est.)
2003 .... 7.4 Mlbs .... -10% (change % is a SM est.)
2004 .... 6.5 Mlbs .... -12% (actual chg % reported by ACNeilsen)
2005 .... 5.6 Mlbs .... -14% (actual chg % reported by ACNeilsen)
2006 .... 4.9 M lbs ... -13% (actual chg % reported by ACNeilsen)
2007 .... 4.5 M lbs .... -8% (actual chg % reported by ACNeilsen)
2008 .... 5.3 M lbs ... +17.7% (WSJ article)

So to the anti's I say this.......be very careful of what you wish for. :suspect:

stan41 said:
I have a question about SCHIP. don't know that anybody has the answers. Will they classify Prince Albert, Carter Hall, etc. as Roll your own cigarette tobacco or pipe tobacco?
Stan41[/quote

SHHHHHHHH !!!!!!,,, :pipe:

Winslow":aagbnzn0 said:
with me.
Come on down Brother we'll take care of ye.

EJinVA":uukc1nxk said:
Winslow":uukc1nxk said:
with me.
Come on down Brother we'll take care of ye.
You might have him worried about our Southern Hospitality now :lol: