Scotch 101

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dutch

Reaction score
Sorry, Sean Connery: Scotland's greatest export will always be whisky. The country's residents have been distilling for hundreds of years, and the alcohol is some of the most highly sought-after in the world.

It's also one of the most highly regulated spirits in the world. There are just less than 100 distilleries operating in Scotland, and they all must abide by the Scotch Whisky Association's rules. The alcohol has to be made entirely in Scotland and aged there in oak casks for at least three years and one day. (Most of the casks used are bourbon barrels made of American oak. Some distilleries also age whisky in old sherry, wine and even rum casks.) The final product has to be a minimum of 80 proof. After malting, the barley used for many Scotches, especially those made on the island of Islay, is dried using smoke from burning peat. This gives the finished whisky a pronounced smoky flavor.

There are two major categories of Scotch: single malts and blends. What's the difference? Single malts, like The Glenlivet or The Macallan, are made from 100 percent malted barley and are the product of just one distillery. A blended Scotch, like Johnnie Walker or Chivas Regal, is a combination of single malts from many different distilleries and aged grain whisky. (This smooth whisky is produced in a column still and can be made from any kind of grain, rather than just malted barley.)

Not that long ago, the only Scotches you could buy in the U.S. were blends. That began to change in the late 1970s, when Americans started to buy less whisky and more vodka. As a result, the blenders also began buying less whisky. In an attempt to spur sales, the distillers began bottling their single malts and marketing them directly to drinkers. Single malts have become so popular that many distilleries are now running around the clock and have stopped selling to blenders altogether.

Here's a shot of spelling with your glass of Scotch. Whisky from Scotland, Canada and Japan is spelled without an "e." Whiskey from Ireland and the United States is spelled with an "e."

How To Drink Scotch:
To appreciate Scotch in all its peaty glory, it should be sipped straight, but don't be afraid to add a bit of bottled water. That may sound like sacrilege, but it helps to open up the whisky's flavors and aromas, and it's actually how most experts and master distillers prefer to taste the spirit. For younger or more full-flavored whiskies, feel free to add ice or club soda. Scotch also goes well with ginger ale or in cocktails like the Rob Roy, Blood and Sand and Rusty Nail.

Noteworthy Blended Scotches:
Ballantine's, Chivas Regal, Cutty Sark, Dewar's, The Famous Grouse, J & B, Johnnie Walker, Teacher's

Noteworthy Single Malts:
Aberlour, Aberfeldy, Ardbeg, Ardmore, Auchentoshan, The Balvenie, Bladnoch, Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Caol Ila, Cragganmore, The Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, Glen Grant, Glenfiddich, The Glenlivet, Glenkinchie, Glenmorangie, The Glenrothes, Highland Park, Isle of Jura, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, The Macallan, Oban, Scapa, The Singleton of Glendullan, Speyburn, Springbank, Talisker

Follow Liquor.com on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Liquor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/liquorcom/scotch-101_b_1070448.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk3%7C109903

Very timely, as I was just doing some online "research" to inform my next Scotch purchase!
I may try to find some Clynelish :drunken:

One of my favorites lately has been Balvenie Doublewood....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QzaarBCRxOE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pm9zG7dPCC0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Huge Lowland single-malt Scotch fan. It's under-appreciated bunch of whiskys (yes, without the "e," there's a difference http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/whiskey-vs-whisky-whats-the-difference-straight-up-cocktails-and-spirits-100476 ) and I believe they're overlooked because there's a stigma with "highland" versus "lowland" and masculinity, entertainment, highlighted history, etc. Plus, Americans are typically after the "most purity" and "authentic" possible, which I suppose is alright, provided it's accurate. There's more regions to Scotland than "Highlands" or "Speyside"

Auchentoshan, Glenkinchie, McClelland's, and Littlemill, are not as easy to find as say, the Glenlivet (Speyside) at your local grocery store, but adventuring out or using the Internet can find you a very reasonably-priced bottle of Lowland Single Malt, say, $20 - $60.

Bladnoch, Rosebank are a lot harder to find, and have a price often to match (Bladnoch is easier on the budget). I had the honor of having a shot of Rosebank when on a business trip once, and it left me begging for more Lowland ever since. The shot alone was $50 in the bar, and I wasn't buying. Luckily I struck up an intelligent conversation with the right guy that
had good taste!

Lowland Single Malts are known for their drier, less "syrupy" mouthfeel, are excellent straight up (neat) as any Scotch should be (at least tried...whether you add water or an ice cube is your business... :) ) and has subtle character different than any of the others. It's not as peppery as aged Speysides (nor as sweet, which I prefer), isn't peaty or as smoky as Islay Malts (think Laphroaig).

Highlands must not be dismissed, as there's even split-up regions of Highlands to consider... Western Highland malts are a second favorite of mine, as they are also dry, and I avoid Northern Highland malts because they have too much bouquet and fruit brightness for my taste... what a journey, trying as many as I can!

It's so much damn fun! :D Expensive fun. :(

Scotch has a spirit all its own, which is why I like it so much. Besides rye whiskey, I drink it almost exclusively!

Interestingly, wine makes me a total jerk, I want to go out and get cheeky with cops and ne'er-do-wells...feed me Scotch, I'm a puppydog. :D (with the exception of Sherry wine, which is also under-appreciated and delicious.)

Just a suggestion, If you do go J. Walker, go straight to Black and skip over the red. I keep a bottle of JW Black around for special occasions and i honestly love it, costs around $35 here, well worth it.

Dutch said:
One of my favorites lately has been Balvenie Doublewood....

Amen to that one, brother. If'n you like that, and have some spending coin, you will love the Balvenie Portwood (21 yr). It is sooo good.

I usually go with Johnny Walker Black, but I keep the gold label for very, and I mean very special occasions.

Scotch. Pfft. You know why they import Bourbon barrels for aging?
In hopes of getting a wee small dram of the finest whiskey in the world.

Harlock999":478v2x1k said:
Very timely, as I was just doing some online "research" to inform my next Scotch purchase!
I may try to find some Clynelish :drunken:
Okay, the Clynelish was not really to my liking.
Very bitter finish. I still drank all of it though... :drunken:
Had a glass of Ardbeg 10 yr old last night. Much nicer. Much.

This is a great thread, I love Wiskey with my English blends...one of my favorite single malts would have to be Ardbeg.

Laphroaig 10year is a fav of mine, very intense mineral quality, and the king of Peatyness. I'm a big fan of Balvenie Doublewood as well, been singing it's praises for a few years now.

I tried some Coal Ila in a cigar bar a few months ago. I wasn't sure what to think. I need to get a bottle.

I'm a big fan of the Balvanie Double Wood! :D

Bought a bottle of Talisker 10 yr old last night.
This one, I really like, Warm and fruity/smoky with some peat.
I think I could drink it all night...

I am a happy member of the ISMSS (International Single Malt Scotch Society) and we meet at all the major pipe shows. Rules are that you must bring a FULL bottle of single malt to enter. The selections are fabulous and endless. You name it, we've tried it. :D :D

docwatson":txwdggnx said:
I am a happy member of the ISMSS (International Single Malt Scotch Society) and we meet at all the major pipe shows. Rules are that you must bring a FULL bottle of single malt to enter. The selections are fabulous and endless. You name it, we've tried it. :D :D
That sounds wonderful and dangerous... 8)

docwatson":lg8jqiew said:
Really?? Im surprised i've never heard of this... even in my issues of Whisky advocate... do you have literature on this brother?
Im going to the chicago pipe show this year Hopefully I can run into some of you guys I bring nothing but drams and other piece offerings... :D

The club known as ISMSS was started by a select group of pipe smokers and we gather at every show that we attend. It may sound impressive, but it's just an excuse for all of us to get together and imbibe some great malt and smoke our pipes.!!! So we are not actually a huge group of members or even a chartered group, but are aficionados of fine malt and all good friends and pipe smokers. And you will not find us published or advertised anywhere, but If you wish to introduce yourself in Chicago and bring along a full bottle of single malt it could be interesting.
:cheers: