Scotch 101

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
docwatson":8m9s43na said:
The club known as ISMSS was started by a select group of pipe smokers and we gather at every show that we attend. It may sound impressive, but it's just an excuse for all of us to get together and imbibe some great malt and smoke our pipes.!!! So we are not actually a huge group of members or even a chartered group, but are aficionados of fine malt and all good friends and pipe smokers. And you will not find us published or advertised anywhere, but If you wish to introduce yourself in Chicago and bring along a full bottle of single malt it could be interesting.
:cheers:
Ill have to do that... got just the bottle in mind
cheers
mike

I'm new to Scotch. Is Dewar's a single malt or blended? I suspect the former. I've got a friend that will have nothing else but Dewar's.

Megaluddite":erabqy18 said:
I'm new to Scotch. Is Dewar's a single malt or blended? I suspect the former. I've got a friend that will have nothing else but Dewar's.
Dewars is a blended Scotch, but apparently, they also produce a single malt called Aberfeldy.

Blended is no laughing matter and often is scorned, but it ought not be.

Imagine the difficulty in maintaining continuity in a single malt... Now multiply that to the Nth power... Welcome to blended whiskey. An art unto itself.

Also it is no bearing on quality. A single malt can be crap just as easily as a blend. It is much like tobacco blending. Making Christmas Cheer each year is easy. Making Escudo a bit of a challenge, but Westminster is a miricle.

Slight variance in Glenlivet Is expected, it is an organic product. Truthfully unless you are a world class taster doing side by sides your probably not even going to notice.
But what happens when when up to 40 spirits have those minor changes? How does your Dewars maintain 'a soft blend of vanilla with honey and blooming heather'.
Vodoo? Art? A boatload of luck?

puros_bran":d517vew6 said:
How does your Dewars maintain 'a soft blend of vanilla with honey and blooming heather'?
The power of suggestion. The big distiller have it down to a mechanised science that chemically and mechanically reproduces booze like General Mills reproduces Corn Flakes. The advertisers sell it in pretty ads and modern media that it's just like "This" and even has some of "This" in it.

What amazes me is how many of the smaller single malt distillers who were barely producing a couple days a week, or even ended up shutting down for a while, now can make special bottlings that sell for exorbitant prices without most buyers having ever sampled a drop first. Internet Gotta-Be-Like-Mike popularity, Vox Populi run amok? Many blended whiskys are really good, I'll drink Famous Grouse or Pinch, but single malt is different. maybe that's why it's become so popular in the age of the internet bringing even the smallest out-there little things to the masses for us to dwell on.

There are many wonderful blended scotches out there.... Jonnie walker black label, pinch, chivas, even cutty shark from time to time... these blends are appealing to the nose and to the palate. As a true scotch drinker I can fully appreciate the blend masters blends to deliver you a good product, However I do favor single malts as I believe it is the "true identity" of a scotch as appose to several blends thrown together.

I also love the fact that there are many types of regions (like wines) that Scotches are produced.. you have Highland malts, Lowland, Island, Islay, Speysides, ect. each region in which has their own unique kind of "flavor" and "identity."

As far as special bottlings I to think some are quite absurd, but in the past 10 years there has been a huge uprising in whisk(e)y collecting and regions all over the world have tooken partial to the collecting we see many distilleries those in scotland in particular producing these multi wooded small casked aged for 25 years in the queens basement made by her kind of thing selling for hundreds a bottle and collectors drop hundreds and thousands with out batting an eye.

I have to weigh in as someone who grew up going to Whisky tastings and who, while not a professional by any means, has worked hard to learn his stuff.

First, there ARE bottlings out there where it is recommended to add a little water. HOWEVER, this is because some bottlings are dispatched 'concentrated' rather than ready to drink. If your bottle does not specifically say that it needs water added to it, it's very poor form to add water. People adding something to make a cocktail of it, that's fine. It's better appreciated straight but everyone can understand using the best ingredients for your cocktail. But to add water is a sign that the Whisky itself was made poorly and as such is too strong or astringent to be drunk without water.

Second, the reason it's frowned upon to add ice or even cold rocks etc to your Whisky is that the temperature change messes with the flavour. It changes the actual structure of the Whisky and gives you a drink completely different from the one intended.

There are a lot of really good resources out there for someone looking to get into Single Malts and Blends and a lot of awesome stuff has been posted on here. But I felt the need to add my two cents because those are faux pas I've seen many a drinker, old and young, make in a tasting setting and while most are too polite to say anything, those who aren't will say things that don't deserve to be said.

Many fine malt whiskys are bottled at 46 to 55 percent alchohol because that is the cask strength, that is where the blender intended it to be. If you buy these cut down to 40 percent all that is happening is that the blender is adding water for you. Better to buy cask strength and add a little at each glass. As to adding ice, the idea is to drink whisky at the optimum room temperature that allows the whisky to breathe and open up. Room temperature in SCotland is not exactly the same as room temperature in California. So, if I have a cask strength Laphroaig and add three or four teaspoons of water via a small ice cube, I both chill the whisky to room temperature and cut the alchohol at the same time.

You can't drink 50 plus percent alchohol whisky and expect to taste it.

Puff Daddy":h8ai7pv0 said:
Many fine malt whiskys are bottled at 46 to 55 percent alchohol because that is the cask strength, that is where the blender intended it to be. If you buy these cut down to 40 percent all that is happening is that the blender is adding water for you. Better to buy cask strength and add a little at each glass. As to adding ice, the idea is to drink whisky at the optimum room temperature that allows the whisky to breathe and open up. Room temperature in SCotland is not exactly the same as room temperature in California. So, if I have a cask strength Laphroaig and add three or four teaspoons of water via a small ice cube, I both chill the whisky to room temperature and cut the alchohol at the same time.

You can't drink 50 plus percent alchohol whisky and expect to taste it.
I usually just say concentrated since I've had issues trying to explain to people exactly how alcohol content is measured/cask strength/bottling procedures etc.
Most commercial bottlings are pre-diluted and shouldn't need to have any more dilution added. I've seen as many people try to enjoy a cask strength straight as I have people diluting an already diluted dram and wondering why the flavour is so off.

I have to be honest, I'd never considered that the room temperature would be so different in California, but that's probably because even now that I'm in Idaho, I usually have a dram when it's cooler in the evening and in my shady man cave so I've never had a Whisky I needed to chill in any way.

Your method of cooling and correctly diluting a Cask Laphroig is brilliant. Very well thought out. :cheers:

Room temp here at Casa Daddy is usually in the mid 70's, whether by heater, air conditioning or open window. It's where Mrs D likes it, so that's where it stays. My meager single malt collection (4 bottles) sits in the same little cabinet as my tobacco, which is in the bedroom, not near a window or heat source. My whisky is pretty much always 75 degrees plus or minus a couple.

I've actually just changed from simply dropping in a small cube to keeping a tall glass of ice water next to my Glencairn glass. I now use a teasoon to add ice cold water instead of the ice cube because it's more measurable (1teaspoon for 43% whisky, 2 teaspoons for 46%, etc.) because I accidentally killed a glass of Springbank the other night. I had already added an ice cube and all was going well, had been sipping on it for maybe half an hour and it was quite opened up but still seemed a little sharp, so I added another very small cube out of a glass of ice water. It was too much, cooled it and killed it, all the aroma and flavor just quit on me. I'm quite sure if I'd just added a half teaspoon of water it would have worked out well. Cubes are not perfectly measurable and can give problems, but in warmer climates and with some standard practices (same amount of consistent temperature whisky, same size cube, no messing about with it afterwards) they work well. Except with chronic fussers like myself :x

Harlock999":s4kkx745 said:
Bought a bottle of Talisker 10 yr old last night.
This one, I really like, Warm and fruity/smoky with some peat.
I think I could drink it all night...
Going to finish off this bottle tonight.
Great stuff, and highly enjoyable.
I'd expect Kenny Dalglish to be doing likewise...

That Talisker is on my short list. A couple weeks ago I was standing in the aisle trying to decide between that and a bottle of Macallan 12 sherry cask, went with the Macallan because I was comparing some sherried speysiders (rank: 1 Aberlour 12, 2 Glanfarclas 10, 3 Macallan 12). Should have gone with the Talisker, but research being what it is..... Next forray, the islands :D

Puff Daddy":2dqpof6l said:
That Talisker is on my short list. A couple weeks ago I was standing in the aisle trying to decide between that and a bottle of Macallan 12 sherry cask, went with the Macallan because I was comparing some sherried speysiders (rank: 1 Aberlour 12, 2 Glanfarclas 10, 3 Macallan 12). Should have gone with the Talisker, but research being what it is..... Next forray, the islands :D
Well, I experienced a brief episode of common sense and refrained from killing off the Talisker last night.
Drank two very enjoyable glasses while contemplating Scottish room temperature...
Will definitely need to replenish soon, though.

Do you experience the intense pepperiness Talisker has a reputation for? Honestly that was the one thing that stuck in my mind while standing there staring at the bottle, and what made me say "Just grab the Macallan...." . I've done the same thing when passing on Bunnahabhain and Auchentoshan, let something I read on the web influence my decision to try it. Prolly shouldn't do that.

Good call on not kiling that bottle, now you can spend the morning without a headache and there will be a glass of Talisker waiting for you this evening :D

Puff Daddy":psuthhmx said:
Do you experience the intense pepperiness Talisker has a reputation for? Honestly that was the one thing that stuck in my mind while standing there staring at the bottle, and what made me say "Just grab the Macallan...." . I've done the same thing when passing on Bunnahabhain and Auchentoshan, let something I read on the web influence my decision to try it. Prolly shouldn't do that.

Good call on not kiling that bottle, now you can spend the morning without a headache and there will be a glass of Talisker waiting for you this evening :D
Not really. I don't think pepper figures too heavily overall. I do agree with maltmadness:
"Taste: Sweet. Some fairly faint smoke and organics, evolving into peat. Very subtle fruits in the finish."

Harlock999":euk5v5a7 said:
Not really. I don't think pepper figures too heavily overall. I do agree with maltmadness:
"Taste: Sweet. Some fairly faint smoke and organics, evolving into peat. Very subtle fruits in the finish."
Aye, I have to agree with this. I get much more of the Citrus and mellow peat than anything heavily smoky or peppery.

Harlock999":uh388z0k said:
Puff Daddy":uh388z0k said:

Caol Ila is peppery.
Having a glass right now.

Just finished off a bottle of Old Pulteney, which turned out to be the opposite experience I had with The Macallan - I expected to really like The Macallan and didn't, expected to be less than thrilled with Old Pulteney but turns out it's really an excellent malt. I spent quite a number of evenings wondering what it was about this stuff that was so satisfying, and last night it came to me - Umami. Certain malts have that umami characteristic where there's a meaty, substantial and satisfying body accompanied by a saltiness or some other mouth watering characteristic. Umami in a bottle, Old Pulteney. Wonder if it would go with a good miso soup or if that would be overkill?......

Yesterday morning, I shared a few puffs of London Mixture with my girlfriend, and she remarked that it smelled like "Scotch". The only single malt she's had is Ardbeg, and I had to totally agree with her. The smoky earthiness of the Dunhill blend and the Islay malt were in total accord. It's crazy, but she just seems to "get it".