SG tobaccos and bite

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbo

Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I've only tried two SG tobaccos, Cabbies and Lakeland Dark, but I always seem to get a steamed tongue off of them. I've tried drying them out for up to twenty four hours, different pipes and different packing methods. The only thing that helped a little was using a cob but I still got a little burnt.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong? I really love the taste of these two but can't smoke them currently and it's put the fear of God into me about trying other SG mixtures.

Thanks all

Tim

Strange I've never had them bite and i am a fast puffer! i get it is about mouth chemistry

Buggerations, I've a feeling you might be right Bugs. I'll try jarring them up for a while and try again in a year or so. A real pity seeing as I really love the taste of these two.

Thanks Bugsahearn.

Tim

Hey Tim,

I'm with Bugs. I'm a bit of SG fan and have never experienced any bite. That said I've not sampled either of the two blends you speak of.

As you've alluded to, perhaps dry them a little more and over exaggerate your sip.

Good luck old bean,

Stick.

Stick":709zuy18 said:
Hey Tim,

I'm with Bugs. I'm a bit of SG fan and have never experienced any bite. That said I've not sampled either of the two blends you speak of.

As you've alluded to,  perhaps dry them a little more and over exaggerate your sip.

Good luck old bean,

Stick.
I'm somewhere in the middle here, Tim. I have been burnt worse than a cuckold and also been able to smoke their blends days on end.

Old Stick is on to something here. Sip slowly, very very slowly. I haven't tried those two blends you've mentioned but I like to take a fresh flake out of the tin or jar and rub it out immediately until it looks like a shag. I let that rubbed out portion sit for maybe 10-15 mins, no more. I think SG blends need to be a little damp for maximum flavor. Maybe this will allow you to sip slower, so you're not searching for that flavor hence over puffing.

Just my take.
Nate.

Also, (maybe you've done this) try smaller bowls and narrow chambers. And make sure you don't over pack, it'll be a shorter smoke, but if it's w/o bite, then it's worth it.

I used to get burned from them as well. Of course, I barely let them dry before loading. Once I got that part figured out, I found if I loaded too large a bowl, I got issues because the cherry was so hot that it cooked my mouth and I lost flavor. Now I use a short bowl, about 2 cm tall, and 1.5 cm in diameter. Haven't been burnt since, flavor all the way to the bottom, and the pipe stays cool.

Chemistry does play a big part though. Experimentation is all part and parcel of this game..

Best wishes!

Ozark Wizard":o3n95u5n said:
I used to get burned from them as well. Of course, I barely let them dry before loading. Once I got that part figured out, I found if I loaded too large a bowl, I got issues because the cherry was so hot that it cooked my mouth and I lost flavor. Now I use a short bowl, about 2 cm tall, and 1.5 cm in diameter. Haven't been burnt since, flavor all the way to the bottom, and the pipe stays cool.

Chemistry does play a big part though. Experimentation is all part and parcel of this game..

Best wishes!
I think this is it. Smaller bowls=SG success!

Wow!! Interesting!! I've never encountered any bite from SG blends. However, I don't smoke them all. I have been finishing off some jarred Balkan Flake. No bite out of that! :cheers: FTRPLT

JimInks":3c14w0ec said:
I never got bite from SG blends either.
Of course not Sir, you are the consummate tobacco aficionado! I'm sure you are more than practiced at avoiding the dreaded burn/bite. I have learned to handle myself better most of the time. Not all, but most.........:lol!:

Ozark Wizard":qgnlz4in said:
JimInks":qgnlz4in said:
I never got bite from SG blends either.
Of course not Sir, you are the consummate tobacco aficionado! I'm sure you are more than practiced at avoiding the dreaded burn/bite. I have learned to handle myself better most of the time. Not all, but most.........:lol!:  
Lol! Well, I don't ever puff beyond a moderate rate, and often, a slower one. I never let my tongue get near the bit, and I drink cold drinks, preferably ice tea and/ ice water. Since we introduce hot smoke into our system, cold drinks are good for better enjoyment, including refreshing and soothing the tongue. Although, I admit in the Fall and Winter, hot tea or coffee with the right tobacco is quite enjoyable.

I'd say smoke slower. I've been smoking both those blends lately and never had a problem. Don't puff it fast to keep it going if it wants to go out, just let it go out and relight. Use matches.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with Sammy G's biting me. But there again I dry them out pretty thoroughly first as they seem to come at excessive moisture levels, and prefer my 'baccys on the dry side anyhow.

Don't get the dreaded bite very often anymore. Maybe I've wised up. Or maybe I've just been lucky!

:|

Cheers,

RR

another thing to consider...these are both newer blends. Cabbie's def gives me a spicy tingle in my mouth and Lakeland is similar to 1792 which if any SG could bite me it'd be this. Try some of the older blends...FVF for instance

So far, through the blends I have tried, only St James Flake and Firedance haven't bitten me. I haven't tried them all though. It could be that I was steaming my tongue though, due to lack of dry time.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will try both a smaller bowled pipe and even smaller sips than usual and see how that works out.

I may also need to bring my Mr Coffee mug warmer into play to help dry out the tobacco more easily as it's currently still about 70% RH here even in Autumn.

I'll report back and let you know guys know how I go.

Thanks again

Tim

Timbo":1teeidvq said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will try both a smaller bowled pipe and even smaller sips than usual and see how that works out.

I may also need to bring my Mr Coffee mug warmer into play to help dry out the tobacco more easily as it's currently still about 70% RH here even in Autumn.

Thanks again

Tim
I understand the humidity issues. I will either place the drying tray near the air conditioner unit, or I came upon a thought whilst soaking pouch moistening discs. So I grabbed one of those silica gel packs you get in pill bottles and would put that in a container next to the tobacco. Not touching, mind you. Another time, when I spaced out where it was, I put the tobacco in a ramekin, then put that in a ziplock bag with a handful of white rice. Waited a half hour and it was perfect. I figure if it dries out damp electronics, it should work on wet flakes.

Just a thought..........

Ozark Wizard":sny4wnzv said:
Timbo":sny4wnzv said:

Thanks again

Tim
I understand the humidity issues. I will either place the drying tray near the air conditioner unit, or I came upon a thought whilst soaking pouch moistening discs. So I grabbed one of those silica gel packs you get in pill bottles and would put that in a container next to the tobacco. Not touching, mind you. Another time, when I spaced out where it was, I put the tobacco in a ramekin, then put that in a ziplock bag with a handful of white rice. Waited a half hour and it was perfect. I figure if it dries out damp electronics, it should work on wet flakes.

Just a thought..........  
You can get food safe silica packets from amazon like the ones you find in beef jerky.

Timbo":7t2s9yhk said:
Guys,

I've only tried two SG tobaccos, Cabbies and Lakeland Dark, but I always seem to get a steamed tongue off of them. I've tried drying them out for up to twenty four hours, different pipes and different packing methods. The only thing that helped a little was using a cob but I still got a little burnt.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I'm doing wrong? I really love the taste of these two but can't smoke them currently and it's put the fear of God into me about trying other SG mixtures.

Thanks all

Tim
Some pipers frown on the use of a filter but whenever I have a blend that bites (usually aromatics) I smoke them in a pipe using a 9mm filter and the problem is resolved. :)

AJ