Shag vs Ribbon? (Related to Haddo's Delight)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, although I have it in my head that shag burns faster. I always thought it makes better cigarettes than pipe tobacco. Not a favorite.

I think it matters, but to as how much, I'm not sure. I know it matters a lot in RYO. I think Mark Ryan of D&R talked about adding some shag to a pipe blend he had, and it completely changed the profile of the tobacco. The burn changed, so the flavor changed. It might be in his youtube interview I watched last week. I believe it was some shag burley he added to a blend. Don't hold me to that, but more so to the idea the finer cut changed a questionable blend to quality blend.

This might be outside the question, but I would love to try some McClelland #2015 that was cut like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. For the #2015 to be sliced just a tad thinner. My gut tells me it would be quite a different experience.

I always have to pay more attention to shag to keep it from burning too hot, too fast. I've had a few shags that weren't too bad, but just little too much puffing and the flavor turns acrid. I usually just avoid them and stick with, well, anything else, really.

Thanks for the reply's.  

I am asking because I had several tins of Haddo's Delight that were from '14 and it was definitely ribbon cut (long strips about 3 to 4 mm in width).  Opened a new tin marked from 7/17 and is more of a shag cut.  The width coming in at about 1 to 2 mm.  It looks like how I remember Dunhill EMP looking.

Not gonna have a chance to smoke any for a couple of days.

Any thoughts?

I too find that shag cut burns both faster and hotter then ribbon cut. On some of my own blends I do a combination of both. Also, Haddo's Delight smokes much better with some aging, my preference anyway. When you smoke your 7/17 tin let us know your thoughts.

PS
Sorry, did not have my morning coffee until now!
I forgot too mention my last experience with Haddo's Delight I had posted....." I'm not that DELIGHTED "! It was from 6/16 and was a shag cut and I had posted.... " to young with a high moisture content an got a severe tongue bite ".

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Lonecoyote":4icaeufg said:
I too find that shag cut burns both faster and hotter then ribbon cut. On some of my own blends I do a combination of both. Also, Haddo's Delight smokes much better with some aging, my preference anyway. When you smoke your 7/17 tin let us know your thoughts.

PS
Sorry, did not have my morning coffee until now!
I forgot too mention my last experience with Haddo's Delight I had posted....." I'm not that DELIGHTED  "!  It was from 6/16 and was a shag cut and I had posted.... " to young with a high moisture content an got a severe tongue bite ".

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Certainly prefer it aged, hope it is ok fresh though. Should have time tomorrow for a bowl.

Fight 'n Hampsters":14rk8zl7 said:
Certainly prefer it aged, hope it is ok fresh though. Should have time tomorrow for a bowl.
Please post your thoughts after a bowl or two.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I guess it's been a while since I've opened a fresh tin of Haddo's. The last tin I popped was from 2011 and it definitely wasn't shag cut.

There are a handful of thinner cut blends that I love. Some of the D&R mixtures like Three Sails are great as long as you treat them a bit different. One of the things I love about shag cuts, is that they are excellent for quick 25-30 minute smokes with no wasted tobacco. Vincent Manil's Le Petit Robin is some of the thinnest cut tobacco I have ever seen. The stuff is like peat moss, it burns quick, but damn the flavor is immediate & outstanding.

With thinner cut blends just be sure to pack the tobacco more firmly than normal and take your time, long stemmed pipes help too.

DrumsAndBeer":3dloxkq2 said:
With thinner cut blends just be sure to pack the tobacco more firmly than normal and take your time, long stemmed pipes help too.
Chris you are so right. Using these ^^^^ tips will make any shag more manageable. Shags were meant to be smoked in a Churchwarden. Of course that's just my opinion but you can try it and see for yourself. Firmly pack some Petite Robin in your favorite Churchwarden and sit back and enjoy a bit of bliss. :)

AJ

AJ":9tkhhtgs said:
DrumsAndBeer":9tkhhtgs said:
Chris you are so right. Using these ^^^^ tips will make any shag more manageable. Shags were meant to be smoked in a Churchwarden. Of course that's just my opinion but you can try it and see for yourself. Firmly some Petite Robin in your favorite Churchwarden and sit back and enjoy a bit of bliss. :)

AJ
Yup!

good advice guys, but now I also hate you all too.  Now I feel like I absolutely must plunk down some $ for some Petite Robin! :D

Is it more "cigarette" ish? Not against that just curious. Strikes me as the European version of some D&R Blends.

Shags really smoke well in those abominations of the pipe world "the pipe" from the 60's . I was amazed at how good the ones I have smoke in that style pipe. I can see them working well in churchwardens as well.

Jim