Shakori Hills

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrozenfearz

Reaction score
I've been real busy lately cramming for this, that, and the other since the semester is coming to a close, but I found out about this "hippie" festival being held not far from where I live. I'm going to try as hard as I can to attend at least one of the days, so I'm hoping to pick on the collective knowledge of the wise BoB.

Shakori Hills
http://www.shakorihills.org/performance-schedule/

The only artist I know off of the performers list is Bela Fleck... I'm hoping that some of you guys may be able to recommend some of these other artists to me or share any knowledge/experience with the festival in general.

Also, if you're planning on going and want to meet up (I'll bring my Stanwell!), let me know!

I have been to the festival a couple of times. It is interesting to say the least and there is a lot of good music. There are usually a few old time bluegrass bands and several progressive bluegrass bands, along with a wide variety of eccletic stuff. Of course a lot of strange characters that are fun to watch. I might just have to ride out there one afternoon. It is only about 25 miles or so from my place.

If you know Bela Fleck, well Rusted Root might not be "your thing," sort of heavy on tribal drums and 'good vibes" but they put on a great live show. There seems like a lot of great acts there, I bet whatever you see will be good.

If I am not sure about something google, or better yet lala.com will let you listen to thousands of songs online, a lot of things you might not find locally.

Wow, the macdonald, I think you may have turned me on to Rusted Root for good. Based on your description I thought I might like them and now I'm stuck youtubing instead of studying for my tests! :D

My last test of this week is Thursday morning, so I think I'll shoot my way out to Shakori Hills on Thursday for some quality relaxation time with my pipe and good times.

Lots of unique names for the groups and individuals that will be performing! And speaking of visuals...the one that intrigued me is "Donna the Buffalo". A western looking Viking? :shock:

Jim

phrozenfearz":ebnpe792 said:
Wow, the macdonald, I think you may have turned me on to Rusted Root for good. Based on your description I thought I might like them and now I'm stuck youtubing instead of studying for my tests! :D

My last test of this week is Thursday morning, so I think I'll shoot my way out to Shakori Hills on Thursday for some quality relaxation time with my pipe and good times.
Rusted had one almost hit, "send me on my way" that pops up on soundtracks often. They are sort of love em or hate em group, but I love em...although at 20 years old I nearly fell out of a balcony in Springfield Symphony Hall at their show.

I saw Rusted Root open for Carlos Santana in 2000 or so. They are INCREDIBLE live. (So is Carlos!) The only other act I recognize is Bela Fleck, but I am sure there are plenty of quality bands if these two are included in the line up. Go check it out!!

Yeah, I've decided that I'm definitely going to go on Thursday. Also, I checked out Mandolin Orange and quite liked them. They are very "folk", but have a great sound.. and they're from just up I-40 in Carrboro, NC.

And perhaps the best news of all for a broke uni-student..... $5 discount for broke uni-students!

I am really excited about seeing Rusted Root. They sound like they really pour a lot of energy into their performances and that is one of the biggest factors in my enjoyment of a show.

Natch":vcwpeiwh said:
If you happen to hear them, let us know what the Hew Haw Nightmare is like. I have great visuals in my mind!
A couple of my friends are going on Saturday and I may be joining them, but I've got a lot of work to do over this weekend and am pressed for money, so I don't know if I'll be going more than just one day. :( If I do, though, I'll be sure to upload some videos!