Shape preferences, is this normal?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernPiper

Reaction score
So, I've noticed that I have an EXTREME preference to round shapes, like prince, tomato, author, etc. I like looking at pipes of all sorts online and stuff, but when it comes to "would I smoke it", I only want the ones I've mentioned above.

One of my main questions is, from what I can tell, most of these shapes call for a shorter but wider bowl. But isn't a tall and narrow bowl usually more desireable? Another question, am I just an oddball or do you fellas ever say "you can't convince me to buy that pipe because it is a (lovat, billiard, straight, bent, etc.)"

I like all shapes except the egg I think, but I always prefer to smoke the rounder shapes and I would include a short rhodesian in your list. They just seem to fit in the hand real well.

I don't really know much about what shape bowl is better for what, but I believe that people feel that certain types of tobacco lend to different types of bowl shapes. I just kind of let the pipe speak to me then dedicate it to a tobacco family that I feel it belongs to or just randomly assign it to a family based on the proportion of pipes i have to how often I smoke that family.

Depending on smoking habits, comfort and style preference. I have noticed people do stick with a particular shape type for usual smoking.

I smoke only bent billiards so I find it extremely strange and more than a little weird that you would prefer rounder pipes. :bounce:

There certainly is a difference in how flavors will build up in a tall bowl or in an extremely large bowl. That's not to say it's good or bad, but just different. And then there's just the differences in individual pipes too. I have a couple of pipes that both have large deep bowls, and one of them makes Kentucky Gold taste like heaven and one of them makes it rough.

I read once when Gerald Ford was running for President his handlers insisted he give up his favorite bents for nothing but straight pipes as they feared comments like "As bent as his pipe!" would make the rounds. Like Gerry I much prefer a bit of a bend, but enjoy a few straights as well - as for bowl shape I guess I'm a freehand man, all other things being equal.

Smoke whatever you like!! Part of the pleasure of the hobby is smoking a pipe that looks good to YOU.

SouthernPiper":m7vozjv4 said:
One of my main questions is, from what I can tell, most of these shapes call for a shorter but wider bowl. But isn't a tall and narrow bowl usually more desireable?
One of my favourite smokers is a pot of questionable orgins my wife picked up for me. I find that with blends like Nightcap, it *seems to* allow more of the natural sweetness of the leaf come through. (Oddly enough, when I first smoked the pipe in question, I hated it...I also hated the blend Nightcap...it wasn't until I decided to play the masochist and combine the two that I discovered just how good they *both* are.)
Of course, bring a flake into the picture, and I'm looking for something narrow and tall...

I like bulldogs/rhodesians, and no two of mine are exactly alike, so there is considerable variety within a similar shape family.

i know exactly what you mean! When i first got into pipe smoking and even just admiring the people who did it i always loved the bent shapes. so visually appealing with their old world charm. I knew i would love bent pipes...or so i thought turns out my first pipe was a small straight billiard then my next was a large straight brigham billiard and so on and so on. I have to say the shapes i have come to love are canadians and pokers.

I can't seem to purchase freehands. Subconciously i lean toward straight pipes, looking at my collection as it stands 75% are straight pipes. :pirat:

I'm a billiard man bent and straight with several bulls in my pack. I love oom pauls and I have several I also prefer smooth to rusticated although I have both. I have many great no names and several great names, but in all my pipes my main criteria is LARGE size. I love a long smoke and I prefer the burn characteristics that a large bowl offers. I'm up over 30 pipes now and the newest one yet to arrive is a new Stanwell Silke Brun.

Many years ago I only bought bent pipes. Now a days a love straight pipes with large bowls, usally lovats or canadians. But I also have one Sav Author, the 320ks which has got a nice BIG bowl. Excellent smoker. Also have 3 bulldogs, one straight, 2 bent.

I also have a straight GBD pot which is a HUGE pipe and I just love it.

So what am I saying? I LOVE PIPES!!! :lol!:

" isn't a tall and narrow bowl usually more desirable?" That has been discussed several times in various threads and although there seems to be somewhat of a general agreement about which (tall and narrow vs. squat and wide) chamber smokes better with which type of tobacco, it seems (as always?) to come down to personal preferences.

Most seem to prefer taller/narrower chambers for Va flakes, and although Va flakes are the majority of what I smoke, I prefer much wider chambers for them.

Natch

I'm a big fan of the rhodesian and smoke this shape more than any other. That being said, I do have a few billiards which I primarily smoke virginia flakes out of. I also have a few freehands but they get less attention now a days. I've also noticed that I have a propensity to straight or 1/4 bents. I love the subtle flow of the lower line in a 1/4 bent rhodesian!

I own exactly ONE straight pipe. It's an old (1920's) Peterson. I have found I just don't hold on to straights.

I'm breaking in a new Stanwell Silke Brun #19 that feels terrific in the hand as well as between the teeth. It has a rather thick bowl yet it is not heavy. It's a very beautiful and well made pipe. Below is a link to three pics. I honestly do not know what shape one would call it. Please let me know if any of you do. I purchased it from 4 noggins.

http://www.charlespipes.com/store/1883931/product/STSB19

This made me look over my pipes and I realized that I don't favor a particular style. I have a bunch of different styles and shapes. My tastes have change as I have gotten older, I think.

I do tend toward large bowls and straight pipes these days compared to more bent and curved pipes of the past.

For what its worth.

favor bulldogs and rhodies; preferably bent--but i have an assortment of shapes overall in a minimal collection--