Shave of the Day.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning after a nice hot shower, I shaved using a 1960's Gillette, with some Col. Conks Bay Rum Soap and a badger hair brush. I put a little bit of KMF on top, and PB's right. Lather explosion!!! Great shave. I need to pick up some witches hazel after a bit. Oh and I used some Aqua Velva aftershave...(In a glass bottle might I add).
Zach

somedumbjerk":1nsqceua said:
i really let the bear go for far too long this time, hence the cuts.
Bears can be like that. Gotta keep 'em on a short leash.

IMAG0053_1_1_zps48da3353.jpg

Why you don't use a straight razor after cussing your buddy out.

Just got my The Art Of Shaving unscented starter kit(brush, preshave, shaving cream, post shave balm). Will be trying it out in the morning :)

- Tabac Original Soap
- J&M Badger Shaving Brush
- DOVO Snakewood SS 5/8
- Ogallala Bay Rum After Shave

I am pretty happy about my Art of Shaving kit, however the brush is loosing bristles every time I use it, from 3 to 8 bristles. Is there a normal break-in period for these or is this not normal?

One of my new Ogallala Bay Rum soaps
Art of Shaving trial Badger Brush
Gillette FatBoy Adj. with a Wilkinson Sword Blade
And my new Ogallala Bay Rum Lime and Peppercorns aftershave

I'm glad it settled down.

I have a cheap boar that sheds if I just look in its general direction.

So am I but it is getting fairly thin (missing at least 60 bristles by now). Plan on trying a boar next, think it will be the Omega 10066 or a 11575, or possibly a 10049. Oh and the AOS brush is a black badger.

I'm not particularly fond of AOS.. you might contact them for a replacement though.. its worth a shot.

I had an Omega Boar for six years, passed it along to a brother... fine brushes.
I just got a Semogue 1305.. I don't know if it appeals to you but I can tell the difference in the bristles vs the other boars I've owned.. supposedly it's '90% top bristle' or some such.

Westcoatshaving.com was where I actually purchased it but vintagescents.com was the primary research site for the purchase.

AOS said they were going to refund the price so I can repurchase the brush but that was almost a month ago. They said that they sent the refund to CitiBank(I guess they issue it on a card) to process and CitiBank had a glitch in their system. AOS really has poor customer service.

Not a shave of the day.. just showing the herd.
IMAG0092_zps349c5f52.jpg

L/R
Art of shaving Travel Brush supposed to be "pure badger" but actually feels more like a finest/best
Simpson Special 1 Pure Badger
Thater 4125 Silver Tip Badger
Semogue 1305 Premium Boar

PB, how does the backbone of the Simpsons compare to the AOS? I have the same AOS and an Omega pro 10049 that is huge. I am looking at getting another boar but a medium sized one, so I'm thinking of an Omega 10275 and another badger but a bit bigger than the AOS so either an Omega 63162 or the Simpson special in pure.

Merkhur HD 34C, Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood soap with a boar brush and C&E Sandlewood post shave balm......

Large mug of fresh coffee and radio accompanying - what a fantastic way to start the day! I'd never have managed the time to do this when I was still working..........who'd have guessed that getting old and retiring could bring so many benefits? 
imagegif

Fraternally

Jers

puros_bran":lnc4yoi1 said:
Not a shave of the day.. just showing the herd.
IMAG0092_zps349c5f52.jpg

L/R
Art of shaving Travel Brush  supposed to be "pure badger" but actually feels more like a finest/best
Simpson Special 1 Pure Badger
Thater 4125 Silver Tip Badger
Semogue 1305 Premium Boar
I'm continually amazed at how "into stuff" people get :twisted: . I have the same silver tipped badger brush my father gave me when I was 18, used it all thru 'Nam and it's still going strong. Don't know the brand, it just says Made In Canada on the bottom. I do have my fathers Red Badger brush he used all during WWII till he died at 82. Guess it's a family tradition, use 'em in war and then they are "broke in" for a lifetime of use! :twisted: