Shiny Briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiedPiper62

Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone with knowledge & experience recommend a wax, paste and/ or solution; along with a process for getting my smooth and rusticated pipes as shiny and as polished as possible? Thanks & Best, PiedPiper62

As polished as possible? You're going to have to get a buffer and wax, learn the technique, and become adept at buffing--not as simple as it looks. Even experts sometimes round off edges, soften nomenclature, maybe even have the pipe snag and go flying across the room. I just use Paragon wax on the rare occasions when I think a pipe ought to look more shiny. It's applied with just a rag, and works quite well. Beware waxing sandblasts and rusticated pipes--the stuff goes down into the crevices and looks horrible.

I don't know what Ron Powell (Cartaphilus on this forum) uses, but his pipes are the most blindingly shiny I've ever seen. I suspect he just knows how to do it; no magic, no secret ingredient.

Richard Burley":4hjuysrt said:
As polished as possible? You're going to have to get a buffer and wax, learn the technique, and become adept at buffing--not as simple as it looks. Even experts sometimes round off edges, soften nomenclature, maybe even have the pipe snag and go flying across the room. I just use Paragon wax on the rare occasions when I think a pipe ought to look more shiny. It's applied with just a rag, and works quite well. Beware waxing sandblasts and rusticated pipes--the stuff goes down into the crevices and looks horrible.

I don't know what Ron Powell (Cartaphilus on this forum) uses, but his pipes are the most blindingly shiny I've ever seen. I suspect he just knows how to do it; no magic, no secret ingredient.
This for sure. Myself, I've learned to enjoy the soft luster a well smoked pipe takes on as it's smoked. For me it's far more pleasing than that 'new" shiney look. JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

I don't use a buffer, but I could. I use this stuff, an old toothbrush or natural bristled brush in the case of rustication (two: one to get it in the tiny spots and another to get it out of the tiny spots), and a 100% cotton rag. A very little goes a very long way. I think I've done 50 pipes and have only used 1/3 of the tiny 2oz tub? I believe they also sell on eBay, but please don't hold me to that.

https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax

and they also sell another type of wax, though I have not used it:

https://www.finepipes.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=wax&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&dto=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy