Showing work experience unrelated to field?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I realized, macro-level here, there's a ton of experience and job diversity in our ranks here at BoB, ain't there? That's pretty cool. 8) I'll have to remember that if I'm flummoxed with business or personnel issues.

For once a thread seems to be lining up in the same direction with everyone basically saying the same thing as far as advice is concerned... I'm shocked! :lol: Mr. E needs to come in here and suggest the interview be started with a pair of boxer shorts worn on the head--that gets 'em hired every time. :p

8)

Late to the game - but I just wanted to address the initial question. Yes absolutely include all job experience within a relevant time frame and all experience related to the field in which you are applying. I have been involved in the hiring process of about half a dozen attorneys and quite a few more support personal and a handful of IT folks.

What stood out most to me about one of the attorneys was that he was laid off by a very high dollar corporate firm (the kind of attorney whose sh*t shouldn't stink) and went to work at Starbucks while he was looking for a new firm. Also, you would be surprised what might be relevant to some employers. As part of an internship in college I got a license to sell life, health and disability insurance. I never used it, but it did put it on one of my internet profiles and that actually got me contacted by a fairly prestigious law firm looking for an associate to do health care regulation work. I didn't take the job, but it sure did help me negotiate my next raise.

And a lot depends on how you present the "unrelated" information.

I know of a fellow who was the successful candidate for a senior financial position with a well-known multinational. The interview process went on and on, passing from one interviewer to another. He had a classic brand differentiation problem. How could he stick in the awareness of all these guys? As a young man in a rural state, he made $$$ by trapping. He somehow managed to work youthful work experiences into his interviews. His exit line was something like, "Nice meeting you. I don't know if you'll hire me or not. But I'll tell you one thing -- if you do hire me, I'll be the only guy here who's managed a trapline."

He could pull this kind of thing off -- granted, not everyone could -- because he looked like Mr. Brooks Brothers. And yes, his credentials got him into the race, but the same could be said of all the other candidates.

Ya know, this has made me want to go out and hunt a job, except I don't actually want to work. Maybe I could go out just for the fun of the hunt and, if successful, could subcontract it to someone who needed it.

Added: Best "unrelated experience" I know of was a lawyer who eventually ended up as a "government affairs" -- i.e., lobbyist -- kind of fella. He worked his way through college as a borscht belt waiter/comedian in the summer. He was a brilliant guy. No one knew as many jokes or could tell them as well as he could. Asked if he planned to keep his hand in the trade during retirement he replied, "I never, ever, ever want to hear the words law or government again." At the retirement send off our boss said, "He's the only lawyer in the damn department who doesn't tell you how to make a watch if you ask him what time it is." (not everyone laughed, as I recall) His hobby was archeology, and he then left for an extended trip to tour South American ruins.

Okay, I'll stop now.

Happy hunting to all job seekers.

Note to self: Categorize job-hunting advice in the same box as how-to-deal-with-women advice.

"Every man's an 'expert.'" :lol:

8)