Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding job Trout Bum. Thanks for including the University Flake for me - hope it doesn't put me to sleep before I get into the rest of the baccys. I think that I'm more excited about the sampling than trading this round. You guys have been very generous so far. I'll start digging around for something interesting to add.

Mr. Houston,

I would agree; the sampling was the best part! Definitely give UF a go -- the tin I included for sampling is unopened, so go ahead and pop it. I recommend letting the tobacco dry a bit before sampling, as it tends to be fairly moist right out of the tin -- enjoy! Also, watch out for the Dunhill Royal Yacht -- that stuff packs a pretty stout vitamin N hit as well, though it is rich and tasty, but quite strong. Have a blast!

TB

Excellent play Trout! I notice that the box lacks MacBaren's Navy Flake! I'm starting to suspect some sort of conspiracy! :lol:

Hey Mike, I have a humble request: could you possible post on the BOB forum you notes in the Box Pass on the included bulk tobacco blends? I had assumed they were posted here somewhere and did not make a copy. If you could post em up here on the BOB I would be most appreciative!

The box arrived in Houston mid-day, just before the heavy rains began. I got the call from the wife at work, because she knew I was looking for it.
Of course, that just killed the afternoon, because I wanted to get home.

Tonight was burley night. Please understand that, in general, I don't favor burleys. But there are many to choose from in the samples. Is this Mike's influence?

Started off with ERRd. I've been wanting to try this one, because I recently bought a tub at $30.80 from one of my local B&Ms that is overpriced. I have held off from opening it, because I don't want to waste a sealed tub. I opened the sample in the box and was greeted with a very lite coconut aroma. Loaded a bowl and smoked 1/3 of it. Sure enough, this isn't my thing. But glad to know.

There is currently a sample and sealed tin of Exhausted Rooster. Went there next and smoked it for awhile. Again, this isn't my type of tobacco. However, I did give it a good go and think that it is a very tasty blend. This could almost be a Pease blend. Really, I understand why you burley fans are buying so much of it.

Based on some pre-planning with Trout Bum, there are 2 unopened tins of University Flake in the pass. One is for sampling and with his instructions, I popped it. Could only let it sit to air for 20 minutes before trying it. I have to say that this may be the most beautiful flake I've ever seen. Honors would typically go to a F&T flake, but these are narrower and more delicate. Every flake matches. I pulled out a tiny Wiley that doesn't get much smoke time, but is likely a group 2 size - looks like a lady's pipe. But with previous warnings about the strength of UF, I didn't want to take any chances. Upon first light, I could tell that this is a strong flake, although I fully rubbed it out. The smoke was a bit harsh at the start. It quickly settled down and was a very nice smoke. Trout Bum was correct that this might take a couple of pipes to fully appreciate the blend. This could be a real keeper. Knowing that he likes the Orlik Golden Sliced, I can see why he favors this one. It's similar, but stronger. I've got the tin airing out tonight and will hit it again tomorrow.

Tomorrow night I want to try the Black Twist Sliced. It smells like a good strong tobacco.

I also popped the FVF sample tin and have it airing out. I've wrestled with this one a couple of times, and am bound and determined to understand what everyone sees in it. To date, I just don't get it. I like straight VA flakes like the Rattrays and McClellands. But so far, the flavors of the lakeland just seem odd to me. Will likely smoke some before my pass and keep a couple of flakes to continue the journey.

In preparation for this pass, I dug through the cellar and found some 8-year old 2015 to throw in. For those who have been putting some age on 2015, you'll be able to taste what happens. My take is that the VAs mellow, but not the perique. So the effect is a much more prominent perique level.

Trout Bum. What's the story on the cherries? Your wife did a beautiful job on the presentation! Should I try a couple and pass the rest along, or will they spoil? Is it all or none with these?

Trout Bum":9sycm5r0 said:
Hey Mike, I have a humble request: could you possible post on the BOB forum you notes in the Box Pass on the included bulk tobacco blends? I had assumed they were posted here somewhere and did not make a copy. If you could post em up here on the BOB I would be most appreciative!
Okay, here goes:

TINS/BLENDS FOR SAMPLING

• MacBaren- HH Mature Virginia Tin: HH Mature Virginia is the second blend in the HH line. Like the first HH blend the inspiration came from recipes developed around 1890. This wonderful blend is typical for that time and is easy to describe as a “back to nature” tobacco. The taste of the HH Mature Virginia comes from the full and rich natural flavors of the many different Virginia tobaccos. Creating this blend was a challenge of an extraordinary art. Looking at many different recipes we were inspired by the talented use of Virginia tobaccos to make the natural sweetness come out. Another inspiring idea was the use of very specific Virginias to reduce the tongue bite to almost nothing without compromising the sweetness. However, one thing is to have an idea, another is to actually taste the idea come true. After several months of testing and adjusting we can now say that our plan has become reality! – It has become HH Mature Virginia. All together we have used 22 different tobaccos to create this blend and of these 15 are Virginia tobaccos. Before blending the tobacco the Virginias has been stored for years to mature and develop the final aromas, just like when good wine is put aside for aging. Virginia types like bright yellow/golden leaf, mature red/mahogany leaf, dark Virginia and a black Virginia Cavendish are blended and left to store so that each tobacco taste marry into a taste unity. To enhance and support the Virginias a touch of Oriental is added and finally the taste is rounded with just an easy hand of pressed Burley. Looking at this blend you feel curious to have a closer look as the color variation invites to a closer examination.
• C&D Exhausted Rooster Tin: Exhausted Rooster: A Toney/Tarler blend. C&D's annual blend for the 2008 Chicago Show. A tasty flake of Virginias, Dark Fired Burley and a dash of Perique.
• GL Pease- Montgomery Tin: Virginias, Virginias, Virginias! Several grades of wonderful flue-cured leaf, from soft yellow to deep red, are combined with just a touch of dark-fired Kentucky for a little added richness. A special process, recovered from ancient archives, provides the finishing touch to this wonderful blend. Naturally sweet and possessing subtle complexity, Montgomery presents delightful new dimensions for the lover of sophisticated Virginia blends.
• Gawith Hoggarth Bulk- Black Twist SLICED: Traditional full-bodied tobacco, hand-spun into a rope form. Enjoyed either as a chewing tobacco or pared with a knife for the pipe. (This Black Twist is already sliced). A full-flavored, cool smoke. Not a suitable smoke for the beginner.
• Gawith Hoggarth Bulk - Bosun Cut Plug: Virginias and dark-fired with flavors of clove and other essences.
• Esoterica Bulk- Woodbridge: A wonderfully complex mixture consisting of six light Virginias, four Virginias pressed until reddish-brown and then rubbed out, plus Golden and dark Virginias hot pressed until jet-black. Altogether, twelve different Virginia tobaccos, lightly laced with licorice and natural fruit extracts, perfectly blended and fully matured. A true luxury blend that leaves the pipe clean and dry.
• McClelland Bulk- A.M. Pipe (EMP replacement): McClelland's replacement for Dunhill's discontinued Early Morning Pipe bulk tobacco. A top-quality, traditional light English tobacco, perfect for smoking in the morning when there is a nip in the air, the dew on the grass and the day holds infinite possibilities.
• McClelland Bulk- 2050 Oriental Cavendish: An unusual mixture because it contains no Latakia but still has the round, rich flavor one expects from this style of tobacco. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish made with Eastern Belt Carolina leaf combine to make a tobacco which should satisfy a great many smokers.
• Art's Endeavor, Member of Smokers Forums: This blend, created by long time smoker Art A., is a wonderful blend of Red Virginias, Perique, Latakia, and Orientals.
• Heart and Home- Frenchy’s Sunza Bitches: A brand spankin' new Russ Oulette blend called...Frenchy's Sunza Bitches!!!! Yeah, after much excited anticipation I filled up one a' my LJ Heart pipes with my very own Russ Oulette blend. Needless to say I wasn't disappointed. Ya' might say I'd be a rotten judge of a blend created for me, that I'd be a tad biased and you'd be absolutely right but still and all I gotta say this is a gloriously delicious blend. Perique up the ying yang and, according to the baggie, Bright Virginia Flake and Burley finished with Bourbon (hope it's Jack Daniels). I'm tryin' to be objective as hell when I tell yiz I love the hell outta' this blend. It ain't for the faint a' heart nor for lovers of super-mild blends but if ya' got some puffin' experience under yer belt or ya' just like a blend with some cahones this is your baby, actually it's my baby. You who are familiar with Russ O's blends like the aforementioned LJ Virginia and Burley, Virginia Spice and Old Tartan will love Sunza Bitches and it definitely lives up to its name 'cause when ya' take that first puff that's exactly what you'll say, "wooooh sunza bitches this is good stuff!"
• Heart and Home- Anniversary Kake: Anniversary Kake- We wanted to celebrate the 1st anniversary of the Hearth and Home tobaccos with a special blend, and due to a fortunate "accident", we were able to create this one. We ordered a blending Virginia that we expected to be all Red, but it turned out to be a mixture of everything from Lemon through Brown, and when we opened the bag, the aroma was amazing. We were able to order more of this tobacco, and then we combined it with St. James Perique (a good amount), heat-treated and pressed it. The result is a smooth, flavorful cake with a mouth-watering chocolate and fig pouch aroma.

Top a the morning, gents. Let's get down to business:

Mike: Thanks for posting your notes on the different tobaccos in the box -- they are most helpful!

Mr. Houston: Here is the back-story on the the brandied cherries: Those were made by my Aunt Karla, who lives in California. She has won blue ribbons in the California State Fair for those cherries, her home made pickles, several other canned goods, and numerous home made breads. She is truly talented. I think the best play would be "all or nothing," to use your term, regarding who gets 'em. I am not sure how they would fair once opened and not refridgerated, plus, no matter how you slice it, they are somewhat of a risk to pack with all that tobacco. The jar they are in is not much bigger than a GLP 50 gram tin, but it is made of glass none the less. So, I think it would be best if the first person who wants them should just take them.

I am glad you liked the UF. Exactly one year ago (last March) I began this journey down the road of pipes and tobaccos. Oh, I had played around with the pipe for many years, but that was just basket pipes and bulk aromatics/ black cavendish blends. And then I discovered quality briar and artisanal tobacco blends. UF was the first flake I ever tried, and I agree, it is a beautiful flake, probably the best I have ever seen after smoking many types. I really enjoy it in the mornings with strong black coffee. It is definitely a favorite tobacco of mine!

Have fun with the box o' goodies and keep us posted!

Cheers,

Trout Bum

Mr_Houston":qawt14zg said:
I also popped the FVF sample tin and have it airing out. I've wrestled with this one a couple of times, and am bound and determined to understand what everyone sees in it.
I know how you feel, it took me several weeks of determiniation and practice to learn how to smoke FVF, and now I absolutly love it. First, I had to let the tin air out as you are doing, then I had to find the right pipe. I had read somewhere here that flakes liked small bowls and definately found this to be true, a smaller diameter (5/8"-3/4") did work out best. I have an Akroplis Amadeus #346 that loves FVF and FVF only. I have tried the folding and stuffing method and it's OK but I found that I (and the pipe) prefer to break up the flakes into 3/4" chunks then rub it out, then I pack it using the Frank method. The lighting sometimes can be the hard part depending on the moisture content, when it's too moist you'll be relighting alot. I noticed that if it's too dry you just don't get as much flavor, so you'll need to pay attention to that. I guess for me it's especially the aftertaste that I love, as you know with most tobaccos you get some aftertaste, but with FVF the aftertaste gave me a craving for more. I would wake up with the taste in my mouth and I couldnt wait to light up another bowl of it. When smoking it I just want to eat the stuff right out of the tin.
So as you can see, I like it :drool: .

Regarding FVF: I too have yet to "get it." But I am working on it. I am a big fan of virginia flakes (I really like Orlik Golden Sliced, PS Luxury Twist, Flake Medallions, etc.) After reading and hearing all of the hoopla, I thought I would LOVE this right off the bat. I like it just okay, but, as I have found with other tobaccos, it can take some time to get to know them and appreciate them. So far, for me, FVF remains elusive. I have not given up hope yet on this very popular flake!

I tried the Bosun Cut Plug last night. Whoa! I am assuming that this is a Lakeland style of tobacco, of which I am completely unfamiliar. It was indeed "soapy." But I kind of liked it! Very interesting and very different. But that's what is so cool about the box pass: getting to sample a bunch of different blends and styles! I am dumbfounded at how many flavor profiles and variations there are out there.

Alright, then, Trout Bum over and out.

Sounds great so far!

Mike you have out done yourself on putting together this pass. Very well organized and put together, including the notes. Thanks again.

Trout Bum, checking in:

Time -- 8:26 in the AM
Temp -- 20 degrees in the Fahrenheit, blue bird day
Coffee -- cup number two of high grade, industrial strengh, artisanal java
Pipe -- bowl number one of Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding
Outlook -- Stupendous

Well, last night I tried the 2008 Christmas Cheer. Quality tobacco, great flavor, subtle and sweet virginias, a little bitey, but very good overall.

I also sampled the Esoterica Stonehaven. The biggest flakes I have ever seen! Very dark tobacco, a mild and somewhat evasive chocolate like smell to it, very nice! I very much enjoyed this flake. A rich and fairly strong blend, very tobacco-y, with subtle notes of chocolate and... almonds, maybe. I get the feeling that this is a serious tobacco, and deserves attention and time to discover the layers of complexity. My intitial impressions lead me to think that with some time and study, this could become a fovorite for me. Very dark, strong, no bite, and rich and tastey.

And this morning, I popped the tin of Plum Pudding that has been calling my name. W-O-W! This stuff is awesome. And it is spicy! I look forward to getting to know this tobacco. It is going quite well this morning with black coffee and some Mile Davis.

Thanks again, Mike, for putting this together. I am still very much enjoying it!

The day is bright, the outlook...

Stupendous.

Mikem":rdm6uabm said:
I will agree about the Plumb Pudding. It has become one of my favorites. I just purchased an 8 oz tin last month.

I am gonna have to try this stuff. Sounds like a good blend. :D :D

Gentlemen,

I am at this moment smoking the sample of Old Joe Krantz from ye ol' box pass.... first time smoking this blend; am puffing it in a Pete 80s. VERY NICE! This tobacco is quite enoyable; I think I even like it better than it's cousin, Haunted Bookshop. OJK goes a little deeper, a little stronger, a little richer. Not the slightest hint of a bite. I would have to say that this mixture and Exhausted Rooster are the tastiest blends I have sampled so far from the pass. (not including the Plum Pudding I traded for!)

I am listening to some blue grass on the radio, drinking some sparkling water on ice, and enjoying a smoke that just seems to get better and better as the bowl progresses.

Many epiphanies, but mainly "Holy $^#! I'm a gonna be dad!"

And so it goes...

What great fun! I have gotten to smoke some burley blends and some very strong tobacco. I'll post thoughts later. What this box needs is some more english blends and I've put accordingly. I kept the brandied cherries and they are delicious.

For those of you that have wanted to try nasal snuffs, I've put in a few that I like. The SP is a good place to start.

Takes:
University Flake
Irish Flake
Full VA Flake
Dark Fired Shag
Kensington
Presbyterian
Anniversary Flake - Bulk

Puts Tins:
Haddos Delight
Yenidje Highlander
S.G. Commonwealth
Blackwoods Flake
Ashton Winding Road
Robert McConnel Pure Latakia

Puts Samples
A.C. Peterson Caledonian No 466
Lancer's Slices
Davidoff Royalty
10 to Midnight
Mt. Marcy
P.S. Proper English
2015 - 8 years old

Puts Nasal Snuff:
Wilson's Cherry Menthol
G&H Wildmint
G&H SP
G&H Dry Orange

I'll get the box packed up this evening and shipped on. Thanks for letting me play.