Sixth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass for 2009

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gentlemen -- unfortunately, despite my excitement, I am quite sick. I must have the spring flu, or crud, or whatever you want to call it. I have a cough, sore throat, fever, and no energy. Ding dangit. So, on that note, I am not even going to open the box o' baccy until... well, most likely... tomorrow morning! Yes, that's it, I shall cure my common cold with good old fashioned tobacco, liberally sprinkled with some delayed gratification. What a remedy...

I will report back when there is more to report. The box is on my kitchen floor at this moment... calling my name as I cough and type this. And what a BIG box it is!!

I hope I feel better tomorrow. I REALLY want to feel better now. Okay, f**k it, I am opening the baccy box o' fun RIGHT NOW! Yes! I may not be able to sample anything as of yet, but just opening it and rummaging through the goodies may just boost my immune system into overdrive!

I AM ON IT.

Nice play Jason! :cheers: You're up Trout! :face:

Trout Bum, as my wife would demand when I had a cold, you better wash those hands before you touch anything!!! We don't want that cold spread all aound the brotherhood! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Justpipes -- you are so correct. In fact, my girl friend has a Master's degree in Early Childhood Development and is an administrator for a school district here in Colorado. So, with that being said, last night went something like this:

"Oh boy, check it out: here is the big box of tobacco from the Brothers for the annual Box Pass that I told you about. Cough - Cough. I am really excited to check it out!" (This stated whilst waving a pair of scissors.)

"Uhm... aren't you, like, really ill? As in, maybe you should wait for a day or two to open it, so as you don't spread germs all over the continental United States?"

"Ya, ya, I am really sick but I really want to open it and check out this goblin-horde of tobacco treasure!"

"Okay, hand over the scissors and go directly to bed."

"Ah, gee-whiz."

So, the box remains unopened, on my kitchen floor, lonely, awaiting the attention it so righteously deserves.

However, I am feeling significantly better than yesterday, and hope to open it tonight, or maybe tomorrow. And yes, I shall remember to wash my hands!

Trout Bum, just have a nice bowl of Lancers Slices (or insert your favorite Latakia blend) going when you open the box. That should stave off any germs. Or you can always wear gloves and one of those hospital masks. Hope you get better soon.

Good day, gentlemen.

Well, I must say, as a participant in my first “box pass,” I am impressed on multiple levels. Firstly, I would like to thank Mike for putting this together and for all the work he put into organizing this thing. And Mike, THANKS MAN! for including the pre-printed labels. This made it SO easy when it was time to send the box to its next destination.

Before I start, let me add that I had an absolute blast doing this, and that the entire experience far exceeded my expectations.

Today, Tuesday, found me with a day off and finally over the flu. So, I brewed up a big pot of coffee, kicked the dog and my girlfriend out of the living room, and sat down for a morning of extravagant tobacco trading fun! I opened the medium-largish box and immediately was greeted with a manila envelope. Inside were clear and concise instructions/rules, pre-printed labels with the order of addresses in which to ship, and a ledger. In the ledger, I found my name printed at the top, with a place to list all puts, takes, and samples. Very clear, very easy, very simple. What I was not ready for, was the FUN.

I proceeded to extract unopened tins of premium tobaccos, tins in zip locks that were labeled for sampling, and multiple large freezer bags full of bulk samples, each individually labeled and in a smaller heavy duty zip lock. I was overwhelmed at the amount of tobacco! So, instead of freaking out, I loaded up a bowl of the included Exhausted Rooster (excellent, I might add) and started to examine the constituent parts that made up this incredible assembly of choices and fun!

I ended up spending the entire morning, cross legged on my living room floor, smoking a pipe, completely surrounded by a veritable smorgasbord of quality weedage. What a total blast! Yippee!

“You look just like a kid in a candy store.” – Comment from my girlfriend.

Well people, get ready for some fun. I made the tough trade choices. I selected the blends I wanted to sample and bagged and labelled them. I added what I could from my meager “cellar.” I even added a surprise or two. What a great way to spend a snowy, grey, spring morning. Thanks to all the BoBbers who participated!

Trout Bum’s Official List of Puts and Takes from the Sixth Annual 2009 Spring Box Pass

Puts:

Trade:
-- Butera – Kingfisher Double Cut Krumble Kake
-- Hermit Blends Captain Earle’s Mystic Blend
-- Orlik Golden Sliced
-- Peterson University Flake
-- GLP Kensington

Samples:
 C&D Kajun Kake
 Peterson University Flake
 2003 GLP Pennington Gap
 Full Virginia Flake
 Dunhill Royal Yacht

Takes:

-- pipe nail (thanks Arctic Smoke!)
-- GLP Westminster
-- Plumb Pudding (Seattle Pipe Club)
-- 1792 Flake
-- McClelland Black Woods Flake
-- Ashton Winding Road

Sampled:
Exhausted Rooster
Bosun Cut Plug
PS Cube Cut Burley
McClelland – 2015
Edgeworth Ready Rubbed
Esoterica Stonehaven
Anniversary Kake
Frenchy’s Sunzabitches
2008 Christmas Cheer
GLP Montgomery
Mac Baren HH Mature Virginia
GLP Telegraph Hill

Bonus Puts:

1) one ultra swank Dragonfly Anglers cap from the fly shop I work in
2) one sealed jar of Karla’s homemade brandied cherries (recommended over vanilla ice cream with a touch of chocolate sauce!)
Note: this is a small jar, and it is in a heavy duty zip lock, lovingly surrounded by packing material. I would suggest some lucky box passer take this sooner rather than later, even though it is well packed. This stuff is DA BOMB.

Have fun everybody!

Cheers,

Trout Bum

PS Get ready, Mr. Houston, for a seriously kick ass good time. I sent the box, priority, this afternoon. You should have it in about two days. As discussed, I included some UF for you to sample and or trade. Enjoy!

Oh ya, by the way, Mr. Houston, “Tag, yer it.”

Great job TroutBum. Would liked to have seen the look on your face when you first opened the B&M in a box. :lol:

Keep'em lit gents, this getting fun. :pipe:

Bill

Great job TB! I saw you took some McClelland's Blackwoods Flake. That is my favorite va. to smoke.

how do you rub out a hat and how well does it stay lit?,,,great job TB,,,just like christmas,,,,hearing about this pass is a lot of fun,,smoke on,,,,

Excellent play Bum!!! Since I won't get the box until August I am going to have to work out an arrangement to get some of those cherries from you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice, very nice pass and trades. I'm glad you enjoyed your first pass. I really like the Plumb Pudding (thanks again Jason). I'm glad to see that you got to do a lot of sampling. To me that is one of the best parts about passes.