Smokers Forum Closing Down

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas Outlaw":1hldkmkn said:
Makes me think of going to Burger King and ordering a Big Mac...
Been there, done that. Reminds me of a prank I once heard and copied. I used to go in and order a hamburger with cheese. They would tell me I needed a cheeseburger. No, I would tell them, I want a hamburger with cheese. They finally asked why and I told them I prefer the white wrapping paper to the yellow.

Dave":w5jmvlak said:
[

Dont feel bad I got a warning for trying to be clean about the word I typed is types exactly as I typed it there the stars are mine not the censors

A***H****
Hey, I got tagged for something very similar... I guess that's why I'm seeing so many SFers here on BoB..?

At any rate, I think this is a very respectful and laid back Forum, thanks again for having me. :D

Smokers Forums will not be missed by a good many in the pipe smoking community. Good riddance.

SF still seems to be up & running. If they were going to close shop, wouldn't it have happened by now?

dougc905":ll0fcv9i said:
SF still seems to be up & running. If they were going to close shop, wouldn't it have happened by now?
Actually no.
It was gonna close in several months when the money ran out.
It has since changed hands and will sally forth.

Well, I for one am happy that all of you "bad actors" have found a new home here! Let's raise the jolly roger high folks! We are officially the scallywags of the pipe world! :gatewheel:

Hermit":7p2j961v said:
dougc905":7p2j961v said:
Actually no.
It was gonna close in several months when the money ran out.
It has since changed hands and will sally forth.

Eh, rain in my parade why don't ya...

Well, I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell. If I read it correctly, Art (the tamper guy) now runs the show?

Bill":rztq1w2e said:
Well, I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell. If I read it correctly, Art (the tamper guy) now runs the show?
Hi Bill,

That's a different Art. It's not Mingkahuna Art.

Rad

Rad Davis":rs1pkrqd said:
Bill":rs1pkrqd said:
Hi Bill,

That's a different Art. It's not Mingkahuna Art.

Rad
Hey ya Rad,

Thanks. By the way, if that cad Tinsky hasn't given you a Farside "School for the Gifted" mug, I have one. ;)

Bill":ne2wy0p9 said:
Smokers Forums will not be missed by a good many in the pipe smoking community. Good riddance.
DITTO!!

Bill":0dv6s94p said:
I would like to think that new ownership of SF *might* eliminate the nazi like atmosphere there but only time will tell.
no they haven't. jeeps!

I have read all the posts on this and I have to say, it makes me chuckle. I don't see where anything has changed there with new adm., if anything much stricter. I am seeing many old buddies here and I will get more active. I am a high poster at SF in the time I've been there and I have to admit I am more than nervous of the bans, warnings and such. I got a warning yesterday for recommending a PWW blend and stating how good she was at blending aromatics though I am not a fan of Carole herself. I figure one of the adm must smoke her blends. I stated I am not a fan because I have had terrible service from her and she is very moody at times. #191 sure is a good blend though if you are so inclined to aromatics.

I'm in both too - but I find myself checking with Brothers more. Brothers has a little more edge - a little more variety in thought. It's not that SF isn't good - the repair section is where I've learned everything - and good people are at SF no doubt about it. But it's a little light on humor, perhaps baudy humor. I found a ebay description that was longer than my arm and it was crazy - so I cut and pasted for effect really. I got tagged for it. My fault I didn't read the posting rules - but my point was the description was so crazy that I posted as is - oh well - live and learn. Post got pulled but it was really funny stuff .... Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.

woody":man91l15 said:
Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.
"probably an opinion I could not express on SF." Herein lay the crux of the problem
at SF. They limit free speech. This among grown men is an insult. :roll:

I know what you mean Woody, I am even nervous posting my feelings here. I had them on my loading page on my computer but removed it after my warning yesterday. I really felt nit picked and it bothered me more than it should. I fell we are grown mostly mature men and some women and should be treated as such, not as kids. I have been on some forums where they go too far, but there needs to be a grey area and not all black and white. Life is too stressful as it is without feeling you can't be yourself on a forum. For many of us, I am disabled, it is the majority of our social interaction. We are among friends in a world that has turned it's back on smokers and we need to be able to relax. My warning really caught me off guard. All they had to do was send me a nice note stating not to say anything negative about her and I would have complied. Instead I get a stern warning and when I responded asking what i did, the answer back was curt and stiff. Oh well, I will have to be myself here!

woody":nrjsq9ds said:
I'm in both too - but I find myself checking with Brothers more. Brothers has a little more edge - a little more variety in thought. It's not that SF isn't good - the repair section is where I've learned everything - and good people are at SF no doubt about it. But it's a little light on humor, perhaps baudy humor. I found a ebay description that was longer than my arm and it was crazy - so I cut and pasted for effect really. I got tagged for it. My fault I didn't read the posting rules - but my point was the description was so crazy that I posted as is - oh well - live and learn. Post got pulled but it was really funny stuff .... Perhaps Brothers is the Maxim of pipe smoking, and SF is the Good Housekeeping of pipe smoking - both good - but where would you go first? Just a personal opinion - probably an opinion I could not express on SF.
As I've noted before, I frequent SF & here. But. Woody, you're correct that SF, though populated with many fine folk, does seem to be a bit "stiff shirted" in terms of being light on humor, (if it exists there :D ). earl

Gee, I might be hanging around here a bit more now. Just got the message when I attempted to access the SF site that I, too, had been banned. Pretty odd in my case since I've entirely behaved myself there. Inquired into this bit of oddness and will see if I get a response. All I can say is strange. :face: earl