Smoking in Films

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeywillow

Reaction score
What are your favorite movies in which people smoke? Your favorite scenes? It doesn't have to be just pipes!

One of my favorite movies ever is called Smoke. There's a lot of plotlines in this movie, but it's centered around a cigar shop run by Harvey Keitel and the people who go their for tobacco and socializing. There's a few Tom Waits songs on the soundtrack and a handful of great actors (Harvey Keitel, William Hurt, Jared Harris, Stockard Channing).

There's a companion film to it called Blue in the Face which is a lot of the same with slightly less plot...it's more like a faux documentary. There's a Soul Coughing song on the soundtrack and some of the same cast - and in this one, a few seconds of someone actually smoking a pipe!

This is a post copied from another forum:

"On Mon., 1-17-11, @ 7:45 A.M. EST, on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), the greatest "pipe movie" ever is being shown: "Crossfire". It's a highly rated post-WWII film noir murder mystery with an excellent cast including Robert Young, Robert Mitchum and Robert Ryan. Keep an eye on Robert Young's pipe smoking police detective character as I was impressed with his ability to keep a pipe in his mouth continuously during what I remember as his first scene in the movie."

I set my DVR.

SMOKE is one of the oddest films I've ever seen,,,the dialog has to be an adlib deal,,,,,they could have done a lot more with the premise.IMHO

The Expendables has Tool (Mickey Rourke) smoking a chuchwarden,,,

It seems to me in every John Wayne movie he gets pissed, rips the cigarette from his lips and throws it on the ground,,,

Bogie makes smoking part of the dialog,,,he conveys more lighting a cigarette and taking a drag than ten minutes of script could,,,,

Just saw the new True Grit and loved the scenes with Matt Damon and his meerschaum. Plus you cant have this thread without bringing up lord of the rings. I also love the movie Rob Roy showing traditional scottish clay pipes.

There are lots of pipe smoking scenes in the BBC mini-series "Oppenheimer".

My favorite is when Lieutenant General Leslie Groves, the director of the army portion of the Manhattan Project, gives Robert Oppenheimer a new pipe at Christmas. Oppenheimer's face lights up and he stuffs it right away and lights up. Then Groves drops the other shoe - in return he wants the name of a suspected communist that Oppenheimer knows and has been withholding - a thorn in the side of their relationship. He makes it an order (which he had been hesitant to do before), and Oppenheimer capitulates.

Steve

Greetings,

My favorite pipe smoking film, and favorite film of all, is on TCM today at 4:15 ET.

"Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House", starring Cary Grant, Melvyn Douglas and Myrna Loy. Grant, and especially Douglas, smoke their pipes throughout the movie, in almost every scene, start to finish.

(Shameless Plug)
In fact, I love this film so much, I decided to make a limited edition , 2 pipe set, replicating the pipes seen in the film.
You can see it here:
http://www.pipeandpouch.com/blco2pisetwd.html

Please take a look. And enjoy the movie!

Craig A. Cooper
Cooper Pipes
www.PipeandPouch.com

I don't know how I could have forgotten the scene at the beginning of Inglourious Basterds where Monsieur LaPadite smokes his humble cob and Hans Landa pulls out his enormous pipe - which looks to me like a Butz-Choquin calabash. It really is a gorgeous pipe...it'll be in my collection someday.

Oh my gosh, I just roared through the post of that YouTube site with Hitler ranting about this internet pipe tobacco order! That is funniest thing I have seen in weeks! Very well done! Anything but Mixture 79! Fantastic!

Can't say this one is my favorite, but it's worth a viewing.
Also, I can't say he's exactly smoking that pipe!

it_came_from_outer_space_1.jpg

it_came_from_outer_space_2.jpg

The Quiet Man with John Wayne but Barry Fitzgerald does the most pipe smoking.

I blush with shame for having seen the film in my much younger days, but I switched from Malboros to filterless Camels after watching Mickey Rourke smoke in Angelheart.

And of course, Lord of the Rings.... The pub in Bree with Aragorn.

And Harlock999, I was pounding on the chair laughing at that video, "sacastic reply" "estate pipes on eBay" "smoke cigars like that fat ******* Churchill"!

CyrilLucar":ipolpcz4 said:
I blush with shame for having seen the film in my much younger days, but I switched from Malboros to filterless Camels after watching Mickey Rourke smoke in Angelheart.

And of course, Lord of the Rings.... The pub in Bree with Aragorn.

And Harlock999, I was pounding on the chair laughing at that video, "sacastic reply" "estate pipes on eBay" "smoke cigars like that fat ******* Churchill"!
:cheers: It never fails to entertain! And it's just so true...