Smoking in Films

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sherlock Holmes films of two different eras (the ones with Basil Rathbone circa WW II, and Jereny Brett circa the 1990's).....Pipe-smoking throughout........In the Rathbone films, you could really tell that Nigel Bruce (who played Dr. Watson) was a true pipe-smoker by the way he puffed, handled his pipe, held it in his mouth, etc......

Watched the classic crime noir flick "Naked City" last night. Barry Fitzgerald lit up his pipe quite a few times throughout the movie and was even running a cleaner through it in one scene. Can't remember if he smokes a pipe in "Going My Way", but I will have to make note of it when I watch it around the holidays.

-Scott

Two images from Satan Met a Lady (Warner Bros.), a 1936 light hearted adaptation of Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon, starring a young and captivating Bette Davis, and Warren William as the gum shoe Ted Shane. In this scene Shane finds his missing pipe case, which had been stolen by another character who thought it would contain the jewel-filled ram's horn (object of all the mischief).

This movie is part of a Maltese Falcon 3-DVD special edition release that also includes the 1941 Bogart and 1931 Ricardo Cortez versions. I was pleased with all three movies.

Steve

satan_met_a_lady_1.jpg

satan_met_a_lady_2.jpg

Harlock999":d5hj0mff said:
Doesn't exactly fit the topic, but is SO genius I couldn't resist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPvWQ2UmVRQ

A fellow BoB member posted this not too long ago, but on revisit, it's just as funny!
V funny, esp since I had seen the same clip on a different board, with a v different translation. . . .

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9lIvGuCPZOc" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yesterday I watched "Dial M for Murder" because as I was flipping through the channels, I saw two well dressed men sitting in a living room, having drinks, talking and smoking pipes.

If you want to see a lot of smoking in a film (albeit more cigars & cigarettes than pipes, although pipes are present), see Fritz Lang's M -- lots and lots of tobacco use in that film!