Smoking in the heat.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewest

Reaction score
Here in Western KY, we've had heat advisories every day for what seems like the last month, and it doesn't look like it's gonna let up anytime soon. My pipe smoking seems to have dropped off as of late. Does anyone else see there smoking habits declining due to the heat? It just doesn't seem to taste as good. Maybe it's the humidity. I step out back to have a smoke and come in ringing wet. Any thoughts or comments?

Yes, it's the humidity. So I'm more selective in what I smoke. I have found that Storm Front, which has cigar leaf, is improved and much more pronounced because of the high humidity. So if you have any cigar leaf blends, you just might find that they are more robust.

Good question, for me, I just don’t enjoy a hot pipe on a smoking hot day. I find myself not smoking anything during a heat wave. All my smoking is done with a window open or outside.

I think that if you partake in more fluid intake like ice cold stuff.. You will enjoy a good smoke.. When I smoke my mouth fills with saliva and if your dehydrated you will not enjoy any type of smoking.. Just saying..

An ice-cold full-bodied beer or a summer mixed drink with lots of ice helps !!!!!!!!!

NeroWolfe":lw1x4x41 said:
An ice-cold full-bodied beer or a summer mixed drink with lots of ice helps !!!!!!!!!
Hear Hear good man.. On the spot.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Yeah, it's hot as hades her in NC. I smoke only outside, so unless it's a weekend and I can work in my mancave, where I do have AC now, very little smoking gets done. I too have to have a nice, ice-cold brew to make the smoking enjoyable.

yeah i have noticed this as well. usually cigars are better in the summer or when its hot out.
:sunny:

Guy":zi6hmi7k said:
Good question, for me, I just don’t enjoy a hot pipe on a smoking hot day. I find myself not smoking anything during a heat wave. All my smoking is done with a window open or outside.
Same here. I go on summer smoking hiatus when it gets too hot.
Suffered last year during summer, but so far, it's been nice in So. Cal., so I can't complain...yet.

We reached 101 last week with about 70% humidity. Next week, we're supposed to get the same on Wednesday.

I need a break from the heat. A nice winter snow, a walk and my favorite pipe, sounds pretty nice right now.

Yeah, the heat here in GA has been bad as well, I don't get to smoke a bowl except in the morning and late evening here.

It is almost always unbelievably humid here so have no choice there and it hits nineties all summer. Was able to smoke inside but wife quit cigarettes, so back out into this jungle heat . So I smoke about the same , have noticed if I smoke fast all my pipes will gurgle

I may have heard incorrectly, but I swear the weather man said we've had 59 days of 90+ degrees heat so far! No wonder I'm cranky most of the time. LOL!

Hot as Hades here this morning; but.....under the porch, with a coiuple of cups of Mocha Java coffee and a Mark Tinsky Canadian with some St. James Flake, and all is well !!!!!!!!! Later today will shift to a VERY large tumbler of ice, Orange Juice and Campari, and a couple of bowlfuls in other pipes.....This evening a Sam Adams Ale and a nice nightcap of one more bowlful......Maybe a small cigar just before bedtime............Life is good, guys; life is good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (P.S.---I hate to admit it, but being retired is nice as well !!)

Just out of curiosity does a pipe really smoke better in a dry climate, i've never had the chance for a non humid smoke, its cool right now at 87 degrees and 82 humidity.

Gentlemen, come to cool, refreshing Central Arkansas where it's only 105 today, with a humidity level in the lower 80s the heat index is 118. No breeze to make one uncomfortably chilly. Truly refreshing; talk a long walk in the sun kind of weather (if you were born and raised in hell, that is!).

Considering I was born less than 100 feet from Lake Superior, anything above 70 is unbearable. But alas, my job keeps me here (and fall, winter, and spring are great), and I've learned to live with it. Cold drinks, smoking before and after sunrise, and don't move anything at all (except the arm lifting the beer or pipe to your mouth) is the secret.

Natch

MartinH":ivuqeujd said:
I may have heard incorrectly, but I swear the weather man said we've had 59 days of 90+ degrees heat so far! No wonder I'm cranky most of the time. LOL!
I commented to SWMBO last night that I just couldnt enjoy a pipe in this heat. 108 today. I think we're at about 32 days (+ or-) of 100 degrees or more. I was in Wichita Falls, Tx on Monday... 112. And they want me to wear a tie to work? Not gonna happen.

My smoking is at an ebb since I've been up here in AZ for the summer. A half bowl here and there, and maybe a full one at night. Out on the porch at 105F is just not the thing... :no: