Smoking technique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulbookbinder

Reaction score
I like to sometimes take the smoke from my mouth and exhale it out my nose - not on every puff but frequently - as it adds to the flavor. I contend that the smoke is going from my mouth, into my nasopharynx, then out my nose, while my wife says I must be inhaling the smoke into my lungs then out the nose (which I do NOT want to do). It does not FEEL like I am inhaling. Who is right, me or my wife - done properly can one exhale smoke from the nose without it entering the lungs??

thank you,

Paul

yes, you can exhale through your nose without involving the lungs,,,well at least I can

There's a new thread on this exact topic in Pipe Techniques entitled "out the nose".
Some people just can't seem to figure out how to voluntarily circulate air like this without involving the lungs, when really we do it all the time without realizing it.

You are right. I snork every puff, and I smoked cigarettes for 22 years. I'd know if it were going into my lungs. Because of cigs, I'm not even sure if I can exhale without snorking. :tongue:

Enjoy telling your wife she's wrong...God knows when you'll get the next chance.

I would venture to say that most pipe smokers (cigar smokers, too) use that exact technique to fully enjoy the smoke. Some can be a bit much if you send to much smoke that way, but it IMO it adds a hell of a lot to the whole experience.

Snorking is talked about a lot more among cigar smokers than with pipe smokers; equally valid in any case, or so they say. When I snork the taste experience between it and exhaling through the mouth is different, but this is a difference in degree only. I taste no fundamentally different tastes when snorking. But what do I know; many who've contributed to the culture of cigar smoking have far more experience than I.

similar process to how you drink wine and spirits. (or at least how I drink whiskey)

Zeno Marx":d28jy36n said:
similar process to how you drink wine and spirits. (or at least how I drink whiskey)
You inhale whiskey!!?? :lol:

Rad

I do the same, exhale through my nose that is. I know that I'm not inhaling into my lungs because, never having smoked cigarettes, when I do accidentally inhale I immediately start coughing up a lung.

George Kaplan":oet5q5r5 said:
There's a new thread on this exact topic in Pipe Techniques entitled "out the nose".
Some people just can't seem to figure out how to voluntarily circulate air like this without involving the lungs, when really we do it all the time without realizing it.
Interesting to see the same topic so close together. I started the one a few days ago "out your nose" when I noticed that a pipe smoking buddy of mine was not getting the full enjoyment by not running the smoke through his sinus'. As many have stated here,it really enhances the flavor.

Jeff...

You are correct, exhaling thru the nose does not involve the lungs. I do it on almost every puff. Our sense of "taste" is really mostly smell.