Smoking while driving

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done it a few times, and don't think it's a bad idea. I smoke cigars driving from college to home an hour away, as clenching for that long and attempting relights/tamps on the highway is just a little too painful and scary for it to be a common thing. Trips around town are the best time.

SmokeyTweed":yb0mp1j9 said:
Some of you guys won't believe this,

Up here in Alberta in some areas it is ILLEGAL to smoke in your car with minors as passengers!
Yep.
In California we have the same law in effect but thats OK......next step is no smoking in cars at all and then it'll be no smoking in your homes .
Wait a minute....thats happening already too. :monkey:

Well since my bike doesn't have a windscreen, I don't even attempt a pipe while riding. I have managed a cigarette on the way through the neighborhood without much trouble, but that was at 25 mph. Maybe when I get my dreambike GoldWing one of these days I'll think about trying a pipe while riding.

rick":ec7xiqr1 said:
then it'll be no smoking in your homes .
Already happend at my house, :queen: wife's law, no smoking in the house. :cry:
I do have my workshop where I smoke :king: , but I've found that during the week I smoke in my car coming home from work most often.
Yesterday I drove my pickup in to pick up a load of hay & to run out to a job site, so I got to enjoy a couple of bowls of Walnut in my Kaywoodie 13B.
I also use a zippo pipe lighter, which works very well for lighting on the run.

EJinVA":gxlbc3ir said:
rick":gxlbc3ir said:
then it'll be no smoking in your homes .
Already happend at my house, :queen: wife's law, no smoking in the house. :cry:
I do have my workshop where I smoke :king: , but I've found that during the week I smoke in my car coming home from work most often.
Yesterday I drove my pickup in to pick up a load of hay & to run out to a job site, so I got to enjoy a couple of bowls of Walnut in my Kaywoodie 13B.
I also use a zippo pipe lighter, which works very well for lighting on the run.
Just something about smoking Walnut in a Kaywoodie, right EJ? :D

Justpipes":jcd5mto1 said:
Just something about smoking Walnut in a Kaywoodie, right EJ? :D
Just seems to be a natural fit to me, like peanut butter and jelly. Or a cold beer on a hot day after splitting firewood.
I'm really starting to notice these kinds of combos with pipe & baccy. When I reach for my Missouri Meer I pick up my Prince Albert.
I've got a cheap inexpensive 'real' Meerschuam that I got online for 25 bucks, I find I like Drum (RYO) baccy in it.
When I pick up my Tinsky Rhodesian I pick up C&D Organic Pipe Dreams.
I guess the natural evolution of pipe smoking is happening before my eyes.
Of course I like my Mac Baron Navy Flake in anything.

I thought I would revive this thread as it's become apparent that I have to smoke my pipe coming to work also. In the original post that I started this thread with I talked about smoking on the way home from work, but recently I've noticed myself getting irritated coming to work also. So for the last couple of weeks I've experimented with smoking a bowl on the way to work every so often. The day's I'm smoking my pipe I arrive at work calm and collective, when not smoking I arrive irritated and angry, cursing all the 'idiots' driving out there.
So my prescription to all those suffering from "Road Rage" is to smoke a pipe!

EJinVA":ovljb9me said:
I thought I would revive this thread as it's become apparent that I have to smoke my pipe coming to work also. In the original post that I started this thread with I talked about smoking on the way home from work, but recently I've noticed myself getting irritated coming to work also. So for the last couple of weeks I've experimented with smoking a bowl on the way to work every so often. The day's I'm smoking my pipe I arrive at work calm and collective, when not smoking I arrive irritated and angry, cursing all the 'idiots' driving out there.
So my prescription to all those suffering from "Road Rage" is to smoke a pipe!
Here! Here! :D

I only tried smoking a pipe while driving once. I chose Haunted Bookshop so that it would be a blend that didn't require a lot of relights. I wound up with myself and the entire cab of the truck covered in ash, and a burn hole in the seat.

No more for me.

JJPHOTO":whs8e19q said:
I only tried smoking a pipe while driving once. I chose Haunted Bookshop so that it would be a blend that didn't require a lot of relights. I wound up with myself and the entire cab of the truck covered in ash, and a burn hole in the seat.

No more for me.
You must drive a stick shift.

Actually I think it's because I live in a tiny town so it's not much of a drive - meaning that it's a lot of stop and go, all at or under 30 mph. The wind also blows here incredibly hard almost daily, so you don't get the vaccuum so to speak out your window when driving at a faster speed.

So going slow and stopping alot allows the wind to rush in and blow the ash everywhere. If I were traveling consistently at a higher speed I think there wouldn't be a problem at all.

Well, I guess this is my first post to this group. Been lurking for quite a while. I work a full time job, commute there's about 25 min each way. In the mornings I eat first, then when I'm done with my "breakfast corndog" I fire up my pipe and smoke 'til I get to the parking lot at work. As soon as I pull out the gate to leave, I fire up again, smoking all the way home. I also work part time (30-35 hours per week, is that still considered part time or am I in denial about having 2 full time jobs?) delivering pizzas. I smoke on the way back to the store almost every delivery, but never on the way to the customers. I couldn't imagine driving and not smoking. I do drive a stick-shift/manual transmission/straight drive, whichever you want to call it. The only time it's tough is when the wife calls me on the cell when I'm trying to light up, she gets pissed 'cause I tell her to hold on while I light my pipe. I just tamp with my right index finger most of the time. Its usually MacBaren's VA#1 or some blend of that mostly, but sometimes on my way home from the pizza joint late at night I'll have a bowl of something English, usually Namaste'.

Aaron

Personally I can't see it in town. Normally a pipe relaxes me, but not in traffic.

I enjoy a pipe on a long drive but in town driving I can't do.

30-35 hours per week, is that still considered part time or am I in denial about having 2 full time jobs?
Denial! :p

I smoke while I'm driving too. Though usually it's only a half or quarter bowl, cause I don't ever go all that far. Saves on the ash buildup and subsequent blowing around. I've perfected the knee steering, shifting with the right hand (I drive a manual) and lighting with the left...oh yeah, I can text message too! :lol!:

I have dumped out a finished bowl all over the seat though...oh well, the car will get a full scrub down when all the nasty snow melt mush is gone!

Yeah, my wife doesen't dare set foot in my car. "It reeks" to use her terminology I call it "fragrance". There are tobacco flakes and ash all over the front seats & console. Oh well, as long as I'm not taking pot shots at other drivers I figure it's OK :twisted: .

I have found that If you want a great tool for driving and smoking, go to WalMart Automotive section. In the car accessories there is a little cup holder/Organizer. Its a rubber insert that divides the space into two halves, with two smaller holes at the 11 @ 1 o'clock positions for pencils.
I use the two open half areas for a lighter and a pipe rest, and the two holes fit a chek tool/ tampers perfectly.

Great for the long drives, and no juggling your equipment..... :joker:

Yeah, my wife doesen't dare set foot in my car. "It reeks" to use her terminology I call it "fragrance". There are tobacco flakes and ash all over the front seats & console.
Hmm, my girlfriend says the exact same thing! Must be a girl thing! :lol!:

Hey! Just like me! I only smoke on the way home. PC creeps insidiously into our lives...

The differential window opening works well but I am about to get a sunroof installed as I hate the wind noise in my ear. Sometimes I give up, close the windows and drive in a fog.

Doug

Confidence Cohen":r3wyf6gz said:
I can't smoke in the morning, due to the "teacher smells like smoke" issue. I will however say that smoking in a car is quite amazing. I do have a major concern. I noticed that when driving and smoking, my pipe burns so much hotter due to the wind/AC. I am a hot natured guy that needs a major breeze to keep me sane. I used to keep my sunroof open to remove smoke from the car, and keep the ac on low. Now I drive a truck with no sunroof.

If you're like me with this, here is my resolution: Crack the driverside window and roll down the passenger side window almost all the way. Keeps the breeze on me without burning the pipe too hot.

I usually am smoking while driving. I even recently started driving my son to school in the morning to lengthen the drive. On a good day I can throw in a couple of errands and stretch it to two cups of coffee and a full bowl. I do have to vacuum around my seat a little more often but it's worth it. A subtle and exquisite pleasure!