So, what do you think about when enjoying your pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakebound

Reaction score
Smoking the pipe has long been thought of as a thinking Man's or Woman's way of life. People like G.K. Chesterton and Albert Einstein just to name two were regular pipers.

So, my question is this: What do you think about or perhaps what else do you do when enjoying your pipe?

For myself, the pipe is a source of contemplation, reflection and prayer. Sometimes, I will listen to a theological talk or to the ball game while smoking a pipe.

Others here work in a setting that allows you the freedom to enjoy your pipe all day.  And perhaps, smoking a pipe assists you in your work.

Please share your thoughts, thank you.

Frank

Most of the time, while smoking my pipe, I just listen. Absorb. Live in the moment. After that I guess it would be while driving. Not being a clencher, it forces me to slow down my routine. Pondering occurs rarely, only at epochs of most intense tranquillity, when the bodily and mental health are in perfection. And at those weird points of time, where the
confines of the waking world blend with the world of dreams.

I only smoke when reading, writing, driving, or diddling around with this here computer thing, so pretty much anything that pops into my ol' haid gets some cogitation. When I eventually work myself into a frenzy of intellectual discovery and enlightenment, I have another bowl to calm myself down.

I think about whether or not I have enough blend left for the next pipe. ;)

No, I all seriousness, I just reflect on things that I need to do or how to go about doing them, pipemaking in general really.
Or sometimes just day dreaming or recalling memories.

99% of the time that I have a pipe lit I have the TV on and a computer on my lap. :shock:

I'm almost always outdoors walking, either in my apt complex or on campus. Sometimes I'm planning lectures or exams, or presentations at meetings. Sometimes, I just walk and enjoy it.

I like to sit on my porch and watch nature.Inside most of the time I'm watching TV or listening to music.

I play a lot of chess, online, and my pipe is the perfect companion to help me work through some difficult positions.

Good question. Usually, when I'm smoking, that's all I'm doing --i.e., I'm not mowing the lawn or something else. My favorite time to smoke is near dusk. So I get to watch the stars coming out, the planes getting into position for landing at the distant airport, wild critters walking or hopping across the yard unaware they have an audience. One thing I enjoy doing during an evening smoke is compiling a mental catalog of all the sounds I can hear. If the maple leaves are stirring in my neighbor's lot, can I hear the breeze moving through them? It's a very effective way to banish the day's worrisome moments from my remaining memory cells.