"So what got you into smoking a pipe?" .....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good afternoon brothers,

Among my travels in the military i have noticed that, although it is becoming more popular, there are still few pipe smokers when compared to the rest of the tobacco smoking world. As i meet people around the various smoke pits of different countries one question seams to keep being asked, not that i mind it of course, but that is "So what got you into smoking a pipe?" Personally for me i never took to cigarettes, and after a few years enjoying cigars i wanted to expand my tobacco adventure and see if i could enjoy pipes as much as my cigars. Of course i ended up being a huge fan of a pipe full of my favorite tobaccos along side a mellow glass of whiskey or disaronno, and actually this is much more preferred than a cigar. So i ask you as well my brothers, "So what got you into smoking a pipe?"

-jon

Started in college in the early 70s and puffed on and off for the next 20 years. But about 20 years ago I was too into cigars, their prices started going through the ceiling (which for a teacher is about 3 1/2 feet high!) and picked up those old pipes again. Although I still enjoy a cigar every month or so, I'm dedicated to pipes and don't foresee changing.

Natch

I raked over my decision to start the pipe for about 3 or 4 years before I finally jumped in. I'm only 27. I grew up around smokers all my life but I never had any interest in it at all. The pipe, however, always stuck out to me though. Even through my younger years I always wondered what it would be like to smoke a pipe. I'm not real sure what it is but I think there is a lot involved in it. I remember growing up in the rural areas where it was common to have fires in the yard. I remember smelling all the different woods and I would even stand in the smoke to see what it smelled like, tastes like, and felt like. While tobacco isn't exactly connected with woods I think the same senses and desires are involved.

For a very short time my dad smoked a pipe but I was really too young to remember ('cause I don't remember ever seeing him smoke one). My folks were straight cig smokers. I never really got the attraction for cigarettes. From what I can see it's not much more than a quick Nicotene fix to help a craving. Not much of an experience in there. I never cared to pursue it at all. Somewhere at some time in my life I caught the scent of pipe tobacco and that smell was burned into my brain and never left.

I approach most everything in life as an experience rather than things that just happen. Drink for example. Wines and Beers interest me very much and I am in no way a heavy drinker (maybe one drink every other month, seriously) but when I do have a drink I savor everything about it. The colors, flavors, places of origin, and even the bottle designs. Same goes for teas, coffees, whatever. It's like everything is a piece of artwork in it's own way and I stop to appreciate it and at least try it once (restrictions apply to some things of course).

The same goes for the pipe. It's a whole experience that truly is rich in many ways. Rich in history, heritage, tradition. The pipes are all a work of art and design. The tobaccos, with the different blends are so complex and there is always something special about them all for the individual. I also approach the pipe as I do drinks. It's only an occasional thing but when I get the chance I savor every second and log every sensual experience. I only just started smoking the pipe in late November '09. I have only purchased a 50g tin (Peterson Gold Blend) and I still have close to half of it left over. I only have one pipe. Also a Peterson, "Kildare" straight. (which will expand to more if I have the resources for it). Every bowl I have brings more and more of the experience and I look forward to trying other pipes and tobacco blends.

Here's to the Pipe, and here's to our Military friend!

Happy New Year folks!

Pipes were a segue from cigars for me in the military. It came as the perfect way to detox from the insane amount of stress I came across while deployed. I enjoy pipes much more than cigars and I can only wish I started smoking pipe earlier.

My biggest influence on pipe smoking was my old man and my grandpa. I have fond memories of the two of them sitting on the porch, smoking pipes and talking about the old days when I was a kid.
So thanks to them, I've smoking pipes for nearly 20 years now :)

My Dad smoked a pipe and tobacco use was an accepted right of passage from the time I was about 9-10 years old when I started chewing tobacco. I was always intrigued by the pipe. Took up the pipe shortly after that and then on and off through out my life along with chewing tobacco. Started smoking a pipe on a daily basis in the late 90's. Never cared for cigarettes at all and never really got into cigars either. I dip snuff now when it is inconvenient to smoke the pipe, which is becoming a good amount of the time now.

I started to smoke pipes in the late 50's to early 60's, my grandfather a mean bastard told me not to smoke a pipe, I told him F##K You, been smoking a pipe ever since, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

My friend got me into cigars the summer of '08. That winter it was cold and cigars are to awkward to smoke with gloves. So, I hoofed it to the tobacco shop there (nasty place, mad atmosphere and the proprietor was always in a terrible mood and unhelpful)
And I bought my first pipe there and some tobacco. And though I still smoke cigars and have a good two dozen in my humidor, the pipe holds a special power over me.

My Grandfather smoked a pipe as did a close family friend of ours. This may sound strange but I ALWAYS knew I'd be a pipe smoker too. I think I was 5-6 years old when I began appreciating the aroma of the smoke and the overall ritual of it all. Plus the two men I mentioned were major influences on me in other ways. Both were world class gentlemen who I wanted nothing more than to be just like...

Anthony":5q3d8c9s said:
I enjoy pipes much more than cigars and I can only wish I started smoking pipe earlier.
Me too! You were smart enough to discover that 32 years younger than me.
I was a contented cigar smoker and never even thought about pipes.
In April '08, when guys, (like FrankLuke and Ramon) on ICC (International Cigar Club),
were talking about pipes, I had to give it a try.
It was love at first puff and I've been a piper since.
I still enjoy a cigar now and then, but I much prefer pipes.

I remember I liked the look and smell of pipe tobacco--I recall many of the old Italian-American men that my grandfather chatted with in the park smoked pipes, as did my Rabbi. My parents took me to the Owl Shop, just to soak up the atmosphere. (For lifelong nonsmokers, they're pretty hip.)

Later on, I was in a play where I played a tweedy RAF officer, who of course had a pipe. A counselor loaned me one (a Kaywoodie I think) and I carried it around all week. Though it would be years before I actually put a match to tobacco, I think that week is when I really began to imagine myself as a pipe man. Hell, who says a summer arts camp can't be manly?

I was 19 or 20 and looking for ways to pick up chicks. I figured smoking a pipe was kind of eclectic and sorta hip, in a bookish, almost nerdy kind of way... like Kerouac or a young Bukowski. For a young chap like myself, it was fun, and the ladies did notice. I had no idea what I was doing, and would puff like mad on an old Bari I picked up in a tobacco shop out of an estate basket. I would go for huge clouds of aromatic smoke, probably 1Q or something like it. I dabbled with it, off and on, for many years, with only limited success. Then one day, about two years ago, I discovered that the pipe and tobacco world was much deeper than I had ever suspected. I had never even seen a "tin" of tobacco before. I got a hair up my arse and ordered a Peterson and some University Flake. KA_BOOM! The rest is history.

Ken you ever think he did that so you would smoke a pipe instead of cigs or something??????

When I was in high school a chick I liked smoked a pipe, her mom would let her smoke a pipe,cigar, or chew.. But cigs and dip were off limits. (I never quite figured the logic other than assuming she wouldn't smoke a pipe due to 'coolness' factor). I bought a cob and some capt black or half and half or something of the type and tried to woo her.. Lol.. Didn't work, I was just as ugly and nerdy with a pipe as without..

Later on when me and the buds camped we'd all buy cobs or grabows and a pouch of Capt Black.. Or occasionally Swisher Sweets..

Still later I tried again with a Grabow and Bugle Boy, that didn't work either.. So I started getting into Cigars. Fuente 8-5-8 and Punch mostly.. Soon that evolved into being a Stogie nut ( I knew I knew Hermit from somewhere besides the Pipe World).. My step dad smoked a pipe and would always tell me how pipe tobacco was Better than cigar tobacco.... Of course I would run the pipe down and laugh it off trying to get him to smoke a cigar with me..

Somehow that led to an Iwan Ries pipe (Savinelli) and a pouch each of MacB Va#1 and Golden Extra.. I'd smoked them up and pops offered me some Penzance. Check mate. I was a had lad. Been smoking a pipe for I think 5 years now, maybe 4, I don't know.. I've owned about 100 pipes but only have about 25 now (still to many) I have no clue how much tobacco I smoked, been gifted, gifted away, stashed, lost, stashed again, I don't even really know how much I have now..lol...(I wouldn't know on the pipes other than knowing how many holes are empty in the racks). I do know I enjoy it, and I am thankful to the pipe boards and the pipe brothers, especially the defunct Knox Cigar Board and the defunct Knox Cigar Bros here :D :D :D.

1964....First year of college....Lots of prof's and students smoked pipes (in class no less!!!). Sooooo....I jumped on the wagon and 45+ years later am still at it!!! I also do cigars, but the pipe is my "go to" smoke!! FTRPLT

My dad, grand dad, great grand dad and great great grand dad smoked pipes along with several uncles and friends of the family. It just seemed natural that it was something I should do. When I was 14 I decided it was time and haven't quit since then. I've learned more about pipes and tobaccos in the last 7 years due to the internet and pipe boards like this one than I did in the previous 40+ years.

Jim

Seems we've had similar discussions here before, but alway fun to read stuff from new folks, and share anew.
I was raised in an anti-tobacco family so my exposure was from outside the family. The only person I knew that smoked a pipe was a father of a good friend in high school, he always had some old beat up full bent something or other pipe, a tub of Sir Walter Raleigh baccy and a big package of paper matches. I loved going over there and watching movies while his dad smoked his pipe, the aroma was great. This friend and I finally bought a couple of cob pipes and a pouch of Capn Black, and I loved it. I was 16 yrs old. The next few years I experimented with cigars (swisher sweets) or Camel Cigs, always found that when drinking I liked Camels while fishing I enjoyed the Sw.Sweets. Still smoked the pipe on occasion, finally getting a Dr. Grabows. As the years progressed I would go for periods- years without smoking (especially when married the first time). Then something would click and I would feel the need for a smoke, usually Camels, although never a chain smoker, I rarely finished an entire pack. They usually went stale before I finished them. Finally about 2-3 years ago I picked up my pipe again, but quickly tired of the usual pouch baccy's, so I tried the stuff in the jar on the counter of the local B&M. Got frustrated with that, so I hit Google with 'Pipe Smoking' or something similar; and as they say "the rest is history". It's funny, about the time I picked up the pipe again I found out my deceased grandfather who I was fairly close to had smoked pipes (two of which I now have) but had quit before I came along.

I was content as a cigar smoker for many years. I had my little 35 stick humidor and would keep just enough cigars around to have one or two every weekend. Then Puff Daddy went and bought me a Tsuge for fathers day 2006. What a guy that p-diddy - I'm not even his father. :lol!: (Where's the darth vader emoticon when I need it?)

Been a pipe smoker ever since. Only smoke the occasional cigar now. Thanks again for the pipe :afro:

Like most, I was a "stogie man" before I took to the pipe.
I always appreciated the artistic value of a handmade pipe.
I pretty much got tired of rotating four fully stocked humidors and maintaining them (pain in the ass for sure!) A very close friend of mine made the leap from cigars to the pipe a few years back. At the time, I was interested but didn't take the plunge. I lurked around on various pipe related sites and was hawking E-Bay listings for the "right pipe for me". I grabbed my first Nording and haven't looked back since.
I too, enjoy the occasional cigar, but the pipe is right for me. I started of with VaPers and steered away from aros. I have only recently dabbled with them.
I pretty much can say that I was very pleased with my "introduction" to the hobby and I enjoy the fraternity of this board in particular.

Now if can can only find my next "monster" XL pipe..............

It just seemed like the cool thing to do. You know, peer pressure.

OK, I'm lying. My grandpop's pipe in the "junk" drawer.

It actually did become a bit more cool when the new church I started attending had several pipe smokers. It's always good to be invited over for lunch with one of the elders and draw a few smokes.

thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

A coworker left this quote foe me on my facebook page: "'For my own part I tend to find the doctrinal books often more helpful in devotion than the devotional books, and I rather suspect that the same experience may await many others. I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings... unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.' - The last sentence reminded me of you :p"

it made me chuckle cause once again i was studying a few of the differences in doctrines between the Christian denominations and Catholicism last night and as i packed my second bowl this popped into my head

Pipe smoking is truly a wonderful and beautiful hobby of contemplative nature.