So what's with Dunhill?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordies

Reaction score
Any news on when Dunhill will be available?? Seemed like it was hot news there for a few days. Nothing sense...

I had made this post very recently on another board...

2q0niq0.jpg

That's a beautiful sight! Its from CAO's display/booth at the recent RTDA (IPCPR). Bugger on, as I do, about how the blends aren't the same, etc., etc., but there's something very comforting about seeing them on store shelves again.

This article has the arrival date pushed back to October due to demand.

ShellBriar":6vyx8547 said:
I had made this post very recently on another board...

2q0niq0.jpg

That's a beautiful sight! Its from CAO's display/booth at the recent RTDA (IPCPR). Bugger on, as I do, about how the blends aren't the same, etc., etc., but there's something very comforting about seeing them on store shelves again.

This article has the arrival date pushed back to October due to demand.
Sweeeeet! :bounce:

The guy that owns the B&M I frequent says his shipment is due sometime in October. He also said it would be really expensive.

Iwan Ries has been taking pre-orders and the price for Nightcap is $10.50. That's actually cheaper than their prices for some of my other favorite tobaccos.

spoke with he CAO rep he assures me that it is in stock and should be shipping shortly to our B&M

The Views contained in this post are personal opinion. They are not intended to sway the general opinion for or against said product.
Now with that out of the way.

I couldn't care less. "Reviving the grand name" blah blah blah... Corporate greed from a company that isn't even associated with the Grand Old Name.. And what's worse is the actual Dunhill Company is ashamed of the same folk who built them into a luxury goods empire.. Screw Dunhill and Screw anything with the Dunhill name. I'd quit smoking before I bought a tin bearing the name...
I have 2-3 tins of old production thative held due to worth and will eventually sell or gift them, but other than that there will never be anything bearing that name in my home.

puros_bran":xpdn21lf said:
The Views contained in this post are personal opinion. They are not intended to sway the general opinion for or against said product.
Now with that out of the way.

I couldn't care less. "Reviving the grand name" blah blah blah... Corporate greed from a company that isn't even associated with the Grand Old Name.. And what's worse is the actual Dunhill Company is ashamed of the same folk who built them into a luxury goods empire.. Screw Dunhill and Screw anything with the Dunhill name. I'd quit smoking before I bought a tin bearing the name...
I have 2-3 tins of old production thative held due to worth and will eventually sell or gift them, but other than that there will never be anything bearing that name in my home.
D
um, more for us I guess

puros_bran":sspfyv56 said:
Corporate greed from a company that isn't even associated with the Grand Old Name...
Maybe I'm slow, but you'll have to explain the corporate greed part of this. It seems to me that they are just offering a product that people want at a price that is competitive with other products. I will admit that along with Esoterica and Samuel Gawith, Dunhill has moved down my list in favor of McClelland and Pease tobaccos, which are always available. However, I'll still smoke any of those brands from time to time.

utahpipeman":m94dd74f said:
puros_bran":m94dd74f said:
Corporate greed from a company that isn't even associated with the Grand Old Name...
Maybe I'm slow, but you'll have to explain the corporate greed part of this. It seems to me that they are just offering a product that people want at a price that is competitive with other products. I will admit that along with Esoterica and Samuel Gawith, Dunhill has moved down my list in favor of McClelland and Pease tobaccos, which are always available. However, I'll still smoke any of those brands from time to time.
Haven't most of these blends been in continuous production with Orlik and available in some European markets? I thought that the issue here was only distribution. As for corporate greed and so on...sure, Dunhill seems to want to distance itself from its leafy past in favor of toys for boys, but so be it. Some will no doubt avoid the new tins for this reason while for others the shame + distance issues will be irrelevant.

For my money, I think it's the tobaccos themselves that are irrelevant, but that's just me. When they were available, my Dunhill smoking consisted of about 1 tin of Nightcap per year and 2 tins of Elizabethan. I'm of the mind that anything Dunhill can do, someone else can do better.

The corporate greed is for the non-dunhill companys involved in these shenanigans.. they bought usage of a name for the reputation it carries to sell a product to people who believe it has anything to do with the products that originally bore the name...
It's akin to Kia buying Toyota's name.. It'd be just as big a sham as this is.

On the bright side, and like I said in the original post, I'm not trying to disuade anyone from purchasing the product..buy up, buy often if thats what you choose.. aint an almost free market grand. :cheers:

puros_bran":r381wo6h said:
The corporate greed is for the non-dunhill companys involved in these shenanigans.. they bought usage of a name for the reputation it carries to sell a product to people who believe it has anything to do with the products that originally bore the name...
It's akin to Kia buying Toyota's name.. It'd be just as big a sham as this is.

On the bright side, and like I said in the original post, I'm not trying to disuade anyone from purchasing the product..buy up, buy often if thats what you choose.. aint an almost free market grand. :cheers:

Well, I'll still be buying Dunhill from time to time, but I respect your opinion.

Here is some news from Pipesmagazine.com:

"The latest news on the availability of Dunhill Pipe Tobaccos in the U.S. market is that they are in production now, and will be available in mid-November 2010.

Many pipe tobacco consumers eagerly await the return of Dunhill tobaccos to the U.S. market, while others have shunned the brand. Some pipesters post of their ill will in pipe smokers forums as a result of Dunhill’s past retreat from the U.S. market. They feel that they have been taken for granted and ignored. Others feel that the new production will not match the quality or taste of the old production. The initial promises of September availability, which then changed to October, and now to November are fueling further resentment and skepticism in the pipe community.
Even so, retailers report high demand, amidst myriad inquires and expect to sell-out almost immediately. Even though some pipe smokers are angry and concerned about the quality of the new production, there are a vast number of pipe enthusiasts that have never had the chance to try Dunhill tobaccos in the past and are enthusiastic to do so.
This reporter has never smoked the older Dunhill production, but has had the opportunity to smoke the new production. Everyone of them has been excellent. So even though there are frustrated defecting consumers from the Dunhill tobacco brand, our guess is they will remain in high demand and experience brisk sales."

Here is the link:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/dunhill-pipe-tobaccos-now-coming-mid-november-2010/