Softees - Who uses 'em?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute

Reaction score
I admit, I'm paranoid about chomping on my pipe stems. I hate softees but I can't imagine not having them on all of my pipes. I hate how they look, how they feel. Before I buy a pipe, I have to make sure that I have a softee to throw on the stem before I can put the faintest of teeth marks on it. And the weird thing is, I'm a holder, not a chomper, except in rare occasions. Anyone else as neurotic as me?

I don't like em. They gave me a rash at the corner of my mouth when I tried to use them. I can understand why folks use them though.

Anyone else as neurotic as me? wintermute
Yep. I use them on almost every pipe I smoke. I am also a holder. I like them on my pipes not to protect the stem from my teeth but they add the thickness I like that allows
me to slowly puff lightly. It is now just a habit to slide one on before any serious activity.
I don't use them on cobbs because I have recently obtained some Forever Stems from
http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html
and I like the way they taste and feel.
Don't worry about what others think say or do. Just do what you like.
Ed

I started using them a couple of months ago and now all my pipes have 'em. I have also gone from a holder to a clencher in most cases. I agree they don't look the best but they save my stems some of which were getting pretty scarred up regardless of mostly holding the pipe.

I, too, started recently... and now wished I had always used them.... I'm a clencher...

I've posted this before I use the bits on all my pipes, but recently have started using clear plastic tubing, with an inside diameter of at least .5 inch, yours may vary, if too big can be shrunk or tightened up with your old ladies hair dryer, cost is way less!! Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Rubbers! :D :D :D

Add me to the list of users. I have used them for 30 of my 40 years of piping. i don't like the feel of the hard stem on my crowns. On the rare occation i don't use one, I don't like the way it feels in my teeth. I buy them by the hundreds nowadays. I also use latex rubber tubing but my supplier quit carrying it, where are you buying yours?

I use them on my pipes that have acrylic stems. Mainly these are my Stanwells. I try not to use them on vulcanite stems as they really discolor the hell out of them in most cases.

I also use them, but I cut off the raised end and just use the flat tubular part, since I don't bite on the bit anyway. This lets me sort of forget they're there.

Every single one of my pipes that I smoke have them. I am a clencher and not only do they preserve the stem but they save my teeth as well, the ones I have left anyway! :lol:

Pipetongue and StrongIrish, you guys may have something there. Covering up a black stem with a softee is no big deal, but if you have a nicely colored acrylic, it feels like a bit of a sin. Thanks.

Just call me cheap but I clench with my lips as a protector. I already had callusses (sp?) on my lips from playing saxophone for 10 years so it seemed natural to me. The only pipes I use the softies on are estates that have been chewed through by previous owners.

I have tried them on every new pipe I've acquired only to abandon them eventually in every case because I hate the way they feel.

I use them on all my pipes, but always cut the fat part of. What a difference that makes!

Markus

I don't own a pipe without a softee on it. I always keep them on hand, and the first thing I do to a new pipe is slip one on.

Should have asked here first, but I just ordered some of this stuff to use in place of the black softees. Is this what some of you have used, or close to it? It's 3/8" inner diameter, 1/2" outer. If you think it'll work, any tips on how to make best use of it in terms of cutting, fitting, etc. I assume a box cutter or single-edged razor blade would work best for cutting off individual bits?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000L8BHJE/ref=oss_product

Product Description
Plasticized polyvinyl chloride manufactured to exact specifications from virgin FDA listed material. Offers the flexibility of rubber and clarity of glass. Smooth dense bore maximizes flow and reduces sediment build-up. Handles a wide variety of chemicals, gases and liquids. Excellent resistance to acids, alkalis and many solvents, use for drainage line and protective insulation. Listed by NSF, Standard 50, 51, 61. Shore A, Durometer, 83+/-3. 1,550 PSI tensile strength. Non-toxic FDA Listed Material. Pressure range 19 to 80 PSI. -40 degrees Fahrenheit brittle point; +175 degrees max operating temperature.

Man! I hate to bethe bearer of bad news but that tubing is going to taste like a garden hose. It is vinyl and will be stiff and won't conform to the bit. The tubing I use and it works quite well is latex surgical tubing. Latex has no taste, is pliant like rubber and will conform to the bit. It is also safe, no PCB's in it as it is a rubber made from a plant and not manufactored. Sorry!