Solar Eclipse

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natch

Geographer Ultimo
B of B Supporter
Reaction score
1712440986190.png

Scarlett getting ready for the solar eclipse next week, (even though she won't see it in Virginia).
Conway is quite close to the maximum event line, with an estimated time of just under four minutes of total maximum. There are estimates of up to a million and a half visitors in the state (we only have a population of 3 million), and stores, gas stations, restaurants, and other services are bracing for what might be a rather chaotic couple days. The worst is expected to be immediately after it is over (early afternoon) when most will hit the roads to return home. Could be a zoo!

Well, that was just about perfect for an eclipse. The weather was clear, so we went to my university and had a blast with several thousand others. Busses from Tennessee, Texas, and Florida were arriving but it was spread throughout campus so plenty of room, food and drinks for all. The major impression it left with me was during the almost four minutes of total eclipse it was as dark as twilight, but in every direction the horizon looked like a perfect red/orange/pink sunset. 360 degrees of beautiful!

Almost no traffic jams afterwards, at least in our town, which surprised me. The Interstate is at a dead stop, however.

mmmm common to me I see one every time I drop the soap and bend down to pick it up in the shower :LOL: sub note Natch that kid has style I love the crocks if nothing else he will grow up being a good fighter sorting out the haters :cool:(y):D

The eclipse was approx 35% here and the weather was mostly clear + cool (45F). Took my small refractor with solar filter outside and watched the moon's progression across the sun for the first half hour. I then attached my old Canon DSLR to the end of the scope and snapped a few photos. This one was taken right around maximum.

Attachments

• Max eclipse.JPG
    Max eclipse.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm not sure of our percentage, but because we weren't in the main arc, I decided to watch it on TV. I'm glad I did. Weather Channel had great footage from Mexico to Maine. Maybe watched seven eclipses (possibly more), all with varying degrees of solar flares and sun surface activity you can't normally see without high-tech filters and NASA assistance. The local and national stations decided to show their eclipses in a corner square on the screen and pay greater attention to the crowds and the hosts yapping. I don't understand that decision. Weather Channel had them full screen, and the weather people were talking, or not talking, as a background and dropping lots of information. So keep that in mind next time anything like this happens: watch Weather Channel. Enjoyed it far more than I would have expected, and it is their fault.

The eclipse was approx 35% here and the weather was mostly clear + cool (45F). Took my small refractor with solar filter outside and watched the moon's progression across the sun for the first half hour. I then attached my old Canon DSLR to the end of the scope and snapped a few photos. This one was taken right around maximum.
It was over 75% coverage here in the Piedmont of NC. although a bit too cloudy at times, it was still interesting watching the progression.