Squadron Leader

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilgawulf

Reaction score
I happen to be lucky enough to live about a thirty minute train ride from Iwan Ries, in Chicago. Depressingly, it has been some time since they've had any Squadron Leader in stock. Tonight I finally started looking online to see where I might find some, and it every place I've visited is out of Squadron Leader. Does anybody know what's up with this? Ie. does this signify a possible permanent unavailability?

Much of the Gawith blends have been sold out for a while - happens as they are a small batch producer and have many fans (an ever growing hoard of hoarders)

It is due to be back in stock soon - a few weeks I think

Not sure how long between batches - 3 months or so...

Squadron Leader is brilliant! Agreed with Gandalf, small company with a huge fan base!

Good info here, I've noticed the same with 1792, which I will need to get more of soon 8)

petertschantz":tciedxe8 said:
Good info here, I've noticed the same with 1792, which I will need to get more of soon 8)
Have you tried SG 'Full Virginia Flake' yet........ a must in every pipe smokers cellar.
A legendary blend indeed!

Haven't tried the FVF yet, just getting into trying the 'good stuff'. It is definitely on my list!

petertschantz":yke2qrq1 said:
Haven't tried the FVF yet, just getting into trying the 'good stuff'. It is definitely on my list!
Ask ANY of the brothers on the board........ FVF is "the good stuff".
Won't corrupt you any more, Enjoy whatever it is you choose to smoke!

Not worried about the corruption, already headed down the slippery slope :shock:

I'll be trying both of them, and a lot more no doubt.

I talked with Ron Howard, the manager of smokingpipes' B&M store in Little river the other day and asked him about the gawith availability. He said that they were not expecting any shipments any time soon, though, he could have just been keeping it a little secret.

He told me one of the many reasons SG is having trouble keeping up with demand was that much of their tobacco comes from africa, and an african warlord is making trouble for them and their crop.

I spoke with the Gawith folks about 1 month ago. Their next shipment to the US was to be in mid August. I'd guess we'll see FVF and SL in stores in the next few weeks

I have been able to purchase both at my B&M for a month, I must be lucky I guess. :twisted:

St Fiacre":pl12j9d7 said:
I have been able to purchase both at my B&M for a month, I must be lucky I guess. :twisted:
Good for you Bro,
Gona see if my dad can pic some up in London for me when he goes on business next week!

Hmmmm, looks like I'm going to have to buy a few tins of SL whenever it does show up here in Chicago again. And it sounds like I'm gonna have to try this Full Virginia Flake too, though I may have to wait a while for that. :(

gilgawulf":41by6f59 said:
Hmmmm, looks like I'm going to have to buy a few tins of SL whenever it does show up here in Chicago again. And it sounds like I'm gonna have to try this Full Virginia Flake too, though I may have to wait a while for that. :(
You wont be sorry bro!

Seeing as it might be a bit before I can get any of that stuff, would you suggest any other flakes that might be along the same line? Seems like Iwan Ries has about everything in the world EXCEPT Samuel Gawith, so chances are I could probably find whatever you recommend.