St. James Flake from the new batch

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermit

Reaction score
Anybody get any St. James Flake from the new batch?
I just opened a pound package. I was immediately
stuck by the aroma; not what I was expecting.
While I jarred it up, I smoked a bowl. I don't know
what happened, if the box was mislabeled or if
something went wrong at the factory, but it
definitely contains Latakia. Something definitely went wrong.
I'm not too pleased. :x

Say Hermit, was that from Pay Less Pipes & Tobaccos? I was a little suspicious about their St. James Flake. It didn't seem like anyone got any St. James Flake this time around, only them, and everyone else has boxes (lb or 250g) while they alone sported bags. It struck me as their offering was rather singular and I didn't trust it... of course this is all moot if you got it somewhere else.

No, it was from 4noggins.
I didn't bother to mention that since it isn't Rich's fault.
It was a sealed one pound box.

I haven't had any of the new batch yet. I just ordered 4oz from Rich today. I'll let you know if it smells like SJF or Latakia once it comes in next week.

Johnny":j60dk0p6 said:
I haven't had any of the new batch yet. I just ordered 4oz from Rich today. I'll let you know if it smells like SJF or Latakia once it comes in next week.
I'd tell him to open it and smell it before it ships.

Hermit":t9veogba said:
Johnny":t9veogba said:
Is he still open? I'd think because it's open bulk that he would notice if it smells like Latakia
edit: he is closed after 5pm EST I'll take my chances...

Johnny":qzbleszz said:
Hermit":qzbleszz said:
Johnny":qzbleszz said:
Is he still open? I'd think because it's open bulk that he would notice if it smells like Latakia
Yeah, I spose if yer gettin' four ounces, it would be open.
I got a sealed pound and I didn't notice it til I opened it.

Hermit":uicdibbl said:
Johnny":uicdibbl said:
Hermit":uicdibbl said:
Johnny":uicdibbl said:
Yeah, I spose if yer gettin' four ounces, it would be open.
I got a sealed pound and I didn't notice it til I opened it.
I can't believe (well, I do...mistakes happen) that they mislabeled a bunch of it. I got in on the recent SG madness and got a few boxes of FVF and one of BBF and didn't have anything wrong with any of them. I sincerely hope that this isn't going to become a trend of SG. I really like a lot of their tobaccos. There is a box of Squadron Leader coming with this order too, hopefully it isn't something different. Would kinda be cool if I opened it and it was FVF though :twisted:

I have a cold, and my nose is clogged. Hard to smell. I received a pound with an order earlier in the week. I was going to jar it up this weekend. Just opened it after reading your thread. I definitely smell Latakia but there are a couple pounds of Squadron Leader in the order as well. I cannot tell if it's in the tobac or just impregnated in the wrapper. If my nose was working right, I could be of more help. Once this cold clears up, I'll smoke a little and let you all know. By the way, it came from Mars, if it matters.

Definitely Latakia, I just chewed some. :(

It's not Balken, or Chocolate Flake. What do we have? SG mystery blend?

:affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid: :affraid:
I just recived three pounds of FVF from Smokingpipes.com and it smells off to me also. I opened up a couple of jars from the cellar and they are not even close! WTF is going on ? I'm debating whether I should ship it back or hold onto it since this order had already been on back order for over six months!!! Any ideas on how to get in touch with Gawith's distributor(s)??? :scratch:

This seems to be a major peoblem with the current US supply.
It appears all blends have been effected by this lack of quality control :x

DoverPipes":mmfss94y said:
I just recived three pounds of FVF from Smokingpipes.com and it smells off to me also. I opened up a couple of jars from the cellar and they are not even close! WTF is going on ? I'm debating whether I should ship it back or hold onto it since this order had already been on back order for over six months!!! Any ideas on how to get in touch with Gawith's distributor(s)??? :scratch:

Sorry to all you cats who didn't get what was expected. I don't think any of us will have luck with them (SG) directly but it should be mentioned to the retailers and let them know.

Rugbysh9":bc0dbh2t said:
DoverPipes":bc0dbh2t said:

Sorry to all you cats who didn't get what was expected. I don't think any of us will have luck with them (SG) directly but it should be mentioned to the retailers and let them know.
Contacted Sykes already. Waiting to hear what he says.........

DoverPipes":4ah0geae said:
Rugbysh9":4ah0geae said:
DoverPipes":4ah0geae said:

Contacted Sykes already. Waiting to hear what he says.........
Just saw that on FB...good idea!

All my FVF is fine and a pound of BBF is fine.
It's just the pound of SJF that's kagoo.
I don't know what it is, but it ain't SJF.
Rich at 4noggins is in touch with SG to
figure out what to do about it.

It was just my SJF, as well. MVF, FVF, SL, BBF, Kendal Plug all were fine. I'll call Mars on Monday and see if it can be returned. I highly doubt there is any product left for an exchange.

fishnrust":s1v6avva said:
It was just my SJF, as well. MVF, FVF, SL, BBF, Kendal Plug all were fine. I'll call Mars on Monday and see if it can be returned. I highly doubt there is any product left for an exchange.
If it does need to be returned, it won't be fit for resale.
The packaging is gone and the flakes are folded in
half and stuck in half pint jars. Not much point
sending it back. This is one of those situations
where they should send the SJF (or issue credit)
and tell us to just do whatever we want with the mistake.