Stacked Billiards?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
I have had my eye on a few, a Don Carlos in particular, and was wondering f anyone had an opinion of the shape. I was wondering if they generally smoked good or bad.

I found that I never smoked em to the bottom. Anything deeper than about 1 3/4" seems to deep for practicality.

Puff Daddy":7vak61d0 said:
I found that I never smoked em to the bottom. Anything deeper than about 1 3/4" seems to deep for practicality.
Same with me... now I look for pipes with a Chamber depth of 1.5" or less.

I have two stacks and like them for flakes, well dried and screwed in. Smoke slow and figure most tampers won't fit. You might need a long nail with a small head to suit the pipe. Yes - they are hard to smoke to the bottom with anything even a bit too moist.

I guess those stacks are designed to let you stay in the "Zone" longer.I don't
own one but I have some pipes over 2" in depth of chamber and they allow
you to linger in the "Zone" for a longer time.
The "Zone" to me is about 1/3 to 1/2 way into the smoke when the taste reaches
a crescendo and stays there until you get to the last 1/4 of the bowl. :D

Winslow :sunny:

I have an Ashton stack that I like to smoke, but given the 2 1/4" chamber, at times find it hard to get the flame from matches, which are all I use, to ignite the tobacco at the bottom of the bowl. I am successful but wouldn't want to have to contend with a deeper chamber.

I like stacked bowls both for flake tobacco and like Winslow, complex blends that reach their full potential during the second half of the bowl.

They don't seem to do as well with cube or coarse cut tobacco's

Mike Brissett

I've got a few chimneys, oddly enough all made by Mike (see above) and all are beautifully made. But as I smoke them more, I'm finding that I don't smoke them to the bottom, and generally I don't enjoy the bottom smoke of the taller bowls, regardless of the tobacco. I ordered them that way, so I guess after almost 40 years of puffing I'm still learning what I like? My preference seems to be towards shorter, wider bowls these days. If Mike ever catches up with his back orders, I may send back the last two he made and have him take them down a notch.

The major exception is a really tall chimney he made for my packing Kirsten that fills my hand top to bottom, and I enjoy it when winter packing, as it's a great, hour and a half hand warmer.

Natch