Standard Tobacco Company News.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimInks

Reaction score
This was posted on SToP's facebook page

The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania
July 21 at 8:35am ·

Buy It While You Can

With the FDA Deeming Regulations poised to take effect in about two weeks, I have some sobering news for our friends. Unless something changes, there will not be another production run on the 5 original Standard Tobacco Co. of PA blends. Once the current inventory of War Horse, Bengal Slices and John Cotton's is sold, there will be no more. Ever.

I've held off making this announcement until I was certain that the end is near. August 8, 2018 is the cut-off date for selling post 2007 blends such as ours without an FDA Substantial Equivalence (SE) approval. Since it now appears highly unlikely that we will get an SE, and since our distributor does not want to get stuck with product that they can not sell, their plan is to sell out existing stock and not re-order.

Caveat: If we sell out of everything quickly, the distributor might change their mind and do another run, but that is doubtful given the glut of new, last ditch blends clogging up production and warehouse space. Also, if the FDA is forced by congress to change the grandfather date to include post 2007 blends such as ours, then we are free to continue production. That, however, is exceedingly unlikely at this point in time.

I can't tell you how sad and disappointed I am to have to tell you this. It's not where we wanted to be at this point in time, but I wanted to give you all the opportunity to order your favorites before it's too late.

-Dan

I talked to one of the principals of the company today, and I was told the WarHorse Bar and WarHorse Green as well as the Murray's and Dobie's blends they've been planning will still come out by August 8, 2016.

I suppose I'm expected to be grateful that my choice of smoking weed is being simplified by The Officious Classes.

This only the beginning but it's going to get a lot worse. They will ban the sale of all tobacco products over the Internet. You don't believe it? Just watch! :x :x :x

AJ

KevinM":38fsu9sd said:
I suppose I'm expected to be grateful that my choice of smoking weed is being simplified by The Officious Classes.
Indeed. We get what we pay for.

Though I have only tried the Bengal Slices, and liked it, it is a shame that the dominos are already falling. As far as internet sales, I can see that ending soon enough as well. Funny to think marijuana is becoming legal nationally, but tobacco is getting the boot. It happened to alcohol once. but it made it back to shelves eventually....

Methinks it is time, maybe past time, for a third American Revolution. I'm gettin' real tired of "they" tellin' me what I can or cannot do! Enuff for now or this is off to the Rubber Room :bom: :bom: :cheers: FTRPLT

I talked to one of the principals of the company today, and I was told the WarHorse Bar and WarHorse Green as well as the Murray's and Dobie's blends they've been planning will still come out by August 8, 2016. [/quote]

Kind sir...Of which Murray's and Dobie's blends will STC be releasing? Thank you in advance :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":7kbnh791 said:
Methinks it is time, maybe past time, for a third American Revolution. I'm gettin' real tired of "they" tellin' me what I can or cannot do! Enuff for now or this is off to the Rubber Room :bom: :bom: :cheers: FTRPLT
I'm not sure we can muster another Revolution but we can certainly unite, choose a leader, and have our say heard by Congress. We need a show of unity and someone like the NRA had in Charlton Heston to lead. This isn't just about tobacco. It's about our right to choose and our right to pursue happiness. Now is the time to get the ball rolling. :x :x :x

AJ

Crikey. This is really happening? I've seen the build up but it's still a blow. Will you guys across the pond still be able to order from Europe? Granted, the P&P will boost the price but at least you'll be able to order online and there are some great blenders across the Channel...

Stick":e0oo4c7w said:
Crikey.  This is really happening?  I've seen the build up but it's still a blow.  Will you guys across the pond still be able to order from Europe?  Granted, the P&P will boost the price but at least you'll be able to order online and there are some great blenders across the Channel...
Aye mate, it's for real. The lawyers are involved and that may provide some time but the handwriting is on the wall. 'baccy is evil and must be banished, but pot is OK since it fattens the coffers much more than 'baccy tax. Must have your priorities right. And of course it's for the children.

And yes of course we can order from outside the country, at least until there's a bust like what happened with all the kooban seegars from a certain country a few years ago!

No Cheers!

:no:

RR

Bull crap...pot at its best is like a 35% tax...

Cigarettes in many states have upwards of $5-7 per pack tax. And that doesn't include all the hidden taxes, that's just the straight across the board excise.

Having said that.. I am with you in sentiment. I've been saying pot will be legal and cigarettes illegal since the days of King Bush I.

Just saw this posted elsewhere:

Dear friends of Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania,

There has been much discussion on various forums about the future of Standard Tobacco and its blends. To paraphrase Mark Twain, the news of our impending demise is premature.

I want to empathetically say that Standard Tobacco fully intends to soldier on through these uncertain times and we look forward to bringing new and exciting blends to market in the coming weeks. There are new blends under the Dobie’s and Murray’s names now available for pre-order on the P&C website (type in the names in their search engine). Dobie’s and Murray’s have been in the planning process for several months. Also, we will be seeing the finished War Horse Bar and War Horse Green this week in anticipation of putting them on the P&C site before August 8.

Regarding the existing Standard Tobacco blends, we remain committed to the John Cotton, Bengal Slices and War Horse Ready Rubbed blends. However, at the end of the day this is a business for all concerned parties. Sales of our John Cotton blends have not been as robust as we had hoped so there are inventories yet to be drawn down. Nothing insures continuance like a full order book. That being said our partners at P&C remain supportive and committed to the success of the Standard Tobacco lines.

Navigating the labyrinth of the new FDA Deeming regulations is daunting to say the least and no one can say with absolute certainty what the final outcome will be. So, we will continue with our business as usual while hoping that some positive changes for our industry will be resolved in the near future.

Finally, to our customers and friends in the pipe community, we want to thank you for your overwhelming support and kindness. Standard Tobacco was born from a dream and a “what if we did this” conversation. Much hard work went into faithfully re-creating the blends we have today. This work came from a love of the hobby and a willingness to share with others. We intend to stay true to those principles and continue to fight for rights of all pipe smokers to make informed decisions about their personal lives.

John Fruhmann
CEO-Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania

:( :x :fpalm:

Both of those posts make no sense to me. Everything I've read about the FDA regulations, including the regulations themselves, point to a 2-year grace period for blends introduced before the installing of the regulations. This is why I'm also confused about P&C's notes and letters about their removing of blends. I'm guessing there is no intent to pay the application fee, sure, but it is still my understanding there is a grace period nonetheless, no?

Perhaps these guys know something we don't?

Hopefully companies will just start selling "mix yourself" packages. I love John Cotton's Smyrna.

Yo josh

You were wondering why folks like P&C are already discontinuing blends that technically have a grace period of 2 yrs. + a few days to sell out. Except for unicorns like Penzance and S'haven, it takes a while to turn over a batch of tins. P&C specifically does not want to get stuck August 2018 with a bunch of goods that will literally have to be trashed when it becomes illegal to sell them. So they are trimming their sails now in a variety of ways.

The situation is complicated by the rush to introduce blends before August 8, 2016, in case the Deeming date gets changed and thus the new stuff would slip in under the wire. This is happening with cigars too. I heard last night at the Lehigh Valley PC that Rocky Patel is introducing 50 new cigars in the next few days.

hp
les

lestrout":mb8vhvep said:
Yo josh

You were wondering why folks like P&C are already discontinuing blends that technically have a grace period of 2 yrs. + a few days to sell out.  Except for unicorns like Penzance and S'haven, it takes a while to turn over a batch of tins.  P&C specifically does not want to get stuck August 2018 with a bunch of goods that will literally have to be trashed when it becomes illegal to sell them.  So they are trimming their sails now in a variety of ways.

The situation is complicated by the rush to introduce blends before August 8, 2016, in case the Deeming date gets changed and thus the new stuff would slip in under the wire.  This is happening with cigars too.  I heard last night at the Lehigh Valley PC that Rocky Patel is introducing 50 new cigars in the next few days.

hp
les
^^What Les said^^
       --AND--
They have also paid the taxes to the Feds on these products. Not only would they lose the product, they would lose the tax money that they have already prepaid! :affraid:

lestrout":hi7d12dt said:
Yo josh

You were wondering why folks like P&C are already discontinuing blends that technically have a grace period of 2 yrs. + a few days to sell out.  Except for unicorns like Penzance and S'haven, it takes a while to turn over a batch of tins.  P&C specifically does not want to get stuck August 2018 with a bunch of goods that will literally have to be trashed when it becomes illegal to sell them.  So they are trimming their sails now in a variety of ways.

The situation is complicated by the rush to introduce blends before August 8, 2016, in case the Deeming date gets changed and thus the new stuff would slip in under the wire.  This is happening with cigars too.  I heard last night at the Lehigh Valley PC that Rocky Patel is introducing 50 new cigars in the next few days.

hp
les
Then, if I'm understanding you correctly, STP's post would indicate sales haven't been what they expected; thus, they will not produce another batch because of their fear to have overstock?