Standard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugsahearn":3tvv4g4s said:
I wonder if it's so hard to find the simple pipe I'm looking for because I some point the standard plain looking quintessential pipe fell out favor as "too ordinary" and now pipe makers all make their  pipes try to stand out with nuances or unique attributes. It really is ridiculous though if you look through the major pipe sites literally nothing except the dunhills fit my description. I feel like the companies are so out of touch with what consumers want..or maybe I am unique in my desire for simplicity?
Comoy's Tradition. Standard billiard. $40 I have a bent pebble grain that's along the same lines from the same seller. Smokes fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comoys-of-London-Billiard-Traditional-182-/391167506459?hash=item5b1366781b

Of course if you hold that Dunhill you will see that they put a white spot right in the middle of the stem.

And no, the makers haven't lost touch with the market.. If you haven't noticed the rest of us like to be able to identify who made a pipe. It comes in handy to determine its potential worth. Also, if you look closer at those old pipes you are holding as the standard you will see that each and every one of them had those type 'rackets' also.. Pipedia has an entire compendium on what marks belonged to what maker.

If you are looking for a billiard and are willing to suffer through a white spot or a white p or two dashes like everyone else that smokes a pipe go to smokingpipes.com and use their pipe locator to help find one.. They had 645 listed a minute ago. If that kinda logo is totally unacceptable get a handmade and request no logo. You are riddling this up with angst man.

Another two cents, or even less: Don't forget Savinelli Duca Carlos or Rossi, which I suspect are the same thing. They have very dark stains. You're aware, I assume, that makers generally use dark stains to mask unattractive grain? Another point: briars darken with heavy use over time.

Love the "legs" of this thread. It's up to five pages now. :lol:

puros_bran":p9u78b96 said:
  Of course if you hold that Dunhill you will see that they put a white spot right in the middle of the stem.

And no, the makers haven't lost touch with the market.. If you haven't noticed the rest of us like to be able to identify who made a pipe. It comes in handy to determine its potential worth.   Also, if you look closer at those old pipes you are holding as the standard you will see that each and every one of them had those type 'rackets' also.. Pipedia has an entire compendium on what marks belonged to what maker.

If you are looking for a billiard and are willing to suffer through a white spot or a white p or two dashes like everyone else that smokes a pipe  go to smokingpipes.com and use their pipe locator to help find one.. They had 645 listed a minute ago.    If that kinda logo is totally unacceptable get a handmade and request no logo.   You are riddling this up with angst man.  
Your misunderstanding me. I don't think the small iconic dot on the dunhills is distracting...it's tasteful and that's my point. Many of the modern day logos I find too 21st century looking and what I like about smoking is it transports me to a time long gone and accompanies my Billie holiday and artie shaw records perfectly. Again I...I as in me likes pipe that a simple , dark and don't have more than a tasteful white dot or blue spade. That's my preferences. I like pipes that look like they are right out of the thirties. Looking through billiards on smokingpipes returns a number of simple standards that I find aesthetically pleasing. But there's a god awful lot of ugly looking fuckers. Again that's JUST ME I like things that look old school

Hey E, thanks that's a great deal on the comoy. The one from P&C I'm a little skeptical about but it's the exact shape and design I'm talking. Very tasteful! I've also seen some nice on smoking pipes like the Sebastian beo billiard but it does seem harder to find the dark walnut/chestnut stain on most pipes which I really really love

Richard Burley":yzd5lrni said:
Another two cents, or even less: Don't forget Savinelli Duca Carlos or Rossi, which I suspect are the same thing. They have very dark stains. You're aware, I assume, that makers generally use dark stains to mask unattractive grain? Another point: briars darken with heavy use over time.

Love the "legs" of this thread. It's up to five pages now. :lol:
Thanks mr burley. I didn't know that about dark stains. Why is it that most dunhills are dark stained? I don't care for the lighter stains or true grains honestly. For what it's worth in all my 20s grabows i haven't ever seen a fill but maybe I just can't tell

I agree with the idea that many of the pipes are hideous.. They just sell as someone is buying them or they wouldn't stock them. But hey, smoke what ya like.

I'm not as big a Savinelli fan as some on here but that Mark has been around since possibly 1876 but for sure since 1920.
Comoys since 1825. Peterson is celebrating 150 years this year. Dunhill was a relative late comer not even bothering to open his shop until 1906.. Johnny Come Lately lol.

Anyway, you are correct. I dont get it. These '21st century marks' are for the most part not even 20th century marks.. They are 19th century marks.

Bugsahearn":6b658dwt said:
...Why is it that most dunhills are dark stained? I don't care for the lighter stains or true grains honestly. For what it's worth in all my 20s grabows i haven't ever seen a fill but maybe I just can't tell
Standard Dunhills have never been known for having pretty grain. They just never cared. Great wood, but not particularly pretty, and I assume they want to hide the fact or just like the esthetic. When they do get anything resembling a flame or straight grain they charge an arm and a leg for it, and use a lighter stain so it shows. Your Grabows may have fills; it doesn't really matter. Peterson and Savinelli have them. Sometimes. The more I read your commentary, the more I think you should either stick with the Grabows--nothing wrong with that--or go for a Dunhill or other British pipe. Or Kaywoodie. We're talkin' films from the '30s, right? Seems like that would cover it. I think I get your point; I just don't get that they're hard to find. But I sympathize--I've been looking for the perfect bulldog for decades.

puros_bran":4jcgma13 said:
I agree with the idea that many of the pipes are hideous.. They just sell as someone is buying them or they wouldn't stock them. But hey, smoke what ya like.

I'm not as big a Savinelli fan as some on here but that Mark has been around since possibly 1876 but for sure since 1920.  
Comoys since 1825.  Peterson is celebrating 150 years this year.  Dunhill was a relative late comer not even bothering to open his shop until 1906.. Johnny Come Lately lol.  

Anyway, you are correct. I dont get it.  These '21st century marks' are for the most part not even 20th century marks.. They are 19th century marks.  
Reactionary.. :joker:

Probably has already been mentioned but the Savinelli 114KS fits that bill as well and i believe comes in a couple of different finishes, the one I like being the Marron Glace, the little brother of which (207) I already own and love!

You keep returning to Dr. G's so why bother looking at others and just focus on them ? They seem to have all the facets that fit your requirements so why bother with looking at any others ? as to whether these you show are smoked or not is really a judgement call you and the seller have to make. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":tyo4cz1h said:
You keep returning to Dr. G's so why bother looking at others and just focus on them ? They seem to have all the facets that fit your requirements so why bother with looking at any others ?
hey monbla, I am def going to get a savinelli. Still like some of the models of the grabows though. Can any of you experienced smokers tell me what this is on the bowl? I was wondering if might be mold from from the grabow paper sitting in the bowl for decades?
I'm hoping ts not I've seen it on some other older nos pipes. Is anyone sure what it is? Thanks

_57-110.jpg
" />

Also I got this nice little unknown pipe today just says imported briar. Anybody know what brand it is from the logo?

_57-211.jpg
[/url][/img]

Strange I can't find it pipephil and that site is pretty good about searching by single letter logos. It had a stinger that I pulled out, the bowl isn;t carbon caked and it just says imported briar with the circled L logo

Bugsahearn":xpdzx0j0 said:
Thanks guys I will keep an eye out for those brands especially comoy's, gbd and barling which arent always so expensive on ebay. What is it that makes dunhill and savinelli better than old grabows? I've read they used the same briar and just assumed it's all in the name no real difference in quality.
Savinelli comes from Italy and that makes the difference :twisted:

Can't find info on the pipe anywhere...imported briar is the same font as my greybauhs so it could be a Spartan pipe but I don't know of any brands with an L logo or uncaked bowls? Anyone ever seen this logo before

Bugsahearn":4igak1u8 said:
Can't find info on the pipe anywhere...imported briar is the same font as my greybauhs so it could be a Spartan pipe but I don't know of any brands with an L logo or uncaked bowls? Anyone ever seen this logo before
Looks like one of hundreds of "Basket Pipes" many B&Ms sold which were made by many different makers. Without a place of manufacture stamped on it, your guess is as good as any who or where or when it as made. many of these were made by many of the British makers as well as Italian firms back in the day and still today. As far as the "L" in the circle your guess is as good as anyone's as to who it is  as it is not the circled L that Lane used on Charatan pipes back when they owned the firm.  If it looks good to you and is in your price range get it!! :twisted: :twisted: with all this "ping-ponging your doing from pipe to pipe your only adding to your confusion, If it were me I'd get FOCUSED on WHAT I want from WHICH maker and spend my time looking for THOSE only!! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

I already have that one monbla. It was under ten bucks so I picked it up. It's real nice and simple just like I like. I was just wondering if any of you codgers recognized the brand logo. I haven't tried it yet. One thing I have noticed is on slot of the pipes where I pull the stinger...is the hole is drilled not centered but on one side of the tenon. Is this purposeful for stingers or just a common misdrilling
monbla256":e7i0olp9 said:
Bugsahearn":e7i0olp9 said:
Looks like one of hundreds of "Basket Pipes" many B&Ms sold which were made by many different makers. Without a place of manufacture stamped on it, your guess is as good as any who or where or when it as made. many of these were made by many of the British makers as well as Italian firms back in the day and still today. As far as the "L" in the circle your guess is as good as anyone's as to who it is  as it is not the circled L that Lane used on Charatan pipes back when they owned the firm.  If it looks good to you and is in your price range get it!! :twisted: :twisted: with all this "ping-ponging your doing from pipe to pipe your only adding to your confusion, If it were me I'd get FOCUSED on WHAT I want from WHICH maker and spend my time looking for THOSE only!! JMHO :twisted: :twisted:

My PAD had become so bad (mostly for cheap grabows) that I decided to only focus on being straight dark stain billiards. Hence the reason for starting this thread.