Stanwell bliss

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyS

Reaction score
Indeed, I'm a Stanwell fan now, guys. Got this Stanwell Antique 144 estate the other day and today was her first bowl. What a beautiful smoke! Had some Lane Black Cav and I think some CaptB Cherry ghosting adding to the mix. I usually do the S&A treatment to any estate I get but for the scent already there was really good. Wow! :santa: I feel like Christmas is already here. What a great smoke in a great pipe. Wish my camera was working... I know, it didn't happen without pix! LOL! Time to even up the Stanwell with my Savinelli herd. :) Are all Stannys spot-on or are they hit and miss?

Well, I can't speak for all Stanwells. I only have one and I've only had it for a few weeks, but It smokes wonderfully and is quickly becoming one of my favorite pipes. I'm glad you're having similar luck with yours, Tony.

TonyS":1bmd1wva said:
Are all Stannys spot-on or are they hit and miss?
By and large, at least the older ones can be fairly safely relied upon to be decent to very good. I've had a bunch, and still have a bunch. Only one or two had anything worth complaining about as far as my opinion goes.

Even those were relatively minor issues (opening on the button was cut somewhat poorly, and the airway on another is just a teensy bit tighter than I would prefer). You may find yourself taking issue with the bowl coating on one or two, but its an easy situation to remedy.

Some are drilled to take an optional a filter, which can be a bother some folks.

I've been thinking about adding a Stanwell to my rack for a while, but haven't quite got around to it...my next pipe is either going to be a Stanwell or another Pete.

George Kaplan":p02ixxui said:
Kaiser, that pipe in your avatar makes you look like a tiny little half-person. :p
Yeah that's the Sasquatch 747 Magnum in that pic. Figured if I put that pic up it's be a unique avatar at least lol.

Stanwell pipes are a lot of pipe for the money IMO. The Danish made pieces are the ones presently hunted down by collectors especially the patent registration number pipes. Personally I have never had a bad one owning at least 20 over the years. I know of one high grade collector who sold ALL of his high grade Danish pipes, some worth over $500. And bought nothing but Stanwell pipes for under $100 each!!!!
that kind of tells me something about the smoking qualities of Stanwell. I think I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. LOL

[/quote]
Yeah that's the Sasquatch 747 Magnum in that pic. Figured if I put that pic up it's be a unique avatar at least lol.[/quote]

Kaiser,
That Magnum looks awesome, should be a long enough smoke to make it through a complete football game!!! :cheers: :cheers:

I picked up an unsmoked 1970's Danish Reserve a few months back and it is one of the best smokers I own. I did have to open up the draw a bit to my liking.

I've a friend over in Dallas who has over 100 pipes, ALL Stanwell's. He's smoked 'em since the '60s ( he's about 10years older than me) and won't smoke anything else :p i have just two, but they are some really nicely finished and fitted pipes, made from great briar and smoke very, very well. Don't think you could do much better especially for the money these days. :p

I love my new Stanwell Vario straight billiard. It is lightweight pipe that is a joy to smoke. This pipe shows up a lot in my smoke rotation. It has a tall narrow bowl that is a cinch to light and wants to stay lit. It is easily the best bang for the buck in my small collection of pipes. Sounds like yours will be as good to you as mine is to me. Enjoy!

TonyS":njp8ppnk said:
Indeed, I'm a Stanwell fan now, guys. Got this Stanwell Antique 144 estate the other day and today was her first bowl. What a beautiful smoke! Had some Lane Black Cav and I think some CaptB Cherry ghosting adding to the mix. I usually do the S&A treatment to any estate I get but for the scent already there was really good. Wow! :santa: I feel like Christmas is already here. What a great smoke in a great pipe. Wish my camera was working... I know, it didn't happen without pix! LOL! Time to even up the Stanwell with my Savinelli herd. :) Are all Stannys spot-on or are they hit and miss?
I have two Stanwell bulldogs and they are wonderful, but that's probably not a large enough sample size to determine if they're always spot-on

I have five Stanwells and they are really good smokers. I think you get more bang for your buck with this brand, especially considering the price.

I think I'm gonna have to run my own tests on Stanwell quality. Of course, this means I need to buy a few more. :D I mean, this Antique smokes so damn good. Ok, maybe it's the allure of the Stanwell hype... I don't know but it seems to smoke as good, if not better, than any of my Savinellis. This damn PAD is getting in the way of smoking! :lol:

I picked up an estate Stanwell on Ebay about 6 weeks ago.

It smokes very well and has taken a prominent place in the smalll rotation I have.

Anyone starting to see a pattern?