Stanwell Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back when I only had a 7 day rotation, I had 2 Stanwells, both the same shape. And I wasn't impressed. This was when I was younger, so I really can't say why it just didn't seem to smoke as good as my Petes and Savis. I don't know much about drilling or opening draws and stuff like that (even less in my twentys). I know when they were up in the rotation, I was always like "ah man, the Stanwells."

I traded them along with a 3rd that I had picked up for a Wiley, and I thought I'd got the better of the deal.

I traded for an HCA smooth calabash, and this pipe is a keeper; I imagine this is more like the experiences you guys had. I dunno, maybe I got one of the few that were less than perfect. This was also many years ago, so perhaps they've improved.

I got one of them Nannas coming in, so I'm anxious to see how it smokes. Still I'm not above giving them another chance.

Back when I first started buying pipes (back when I could only afford one per year if that ), the talk was about the big 3. Of the 3 I found to Peterson to be the most reliable. Savinelli makes a great pipe, but I've had a bad one. And I have one autograph that is drilled to hell and back.

I have three Stanwells in my rotation and I keep skipping my other pipes and going back to them. I have a 186 that I bought at my local B & M that is absolutely my favorite pipe and one I ordered from Sweeden (thanks for the tip P.D.) that is an excellent puffer. Hate to hear the bad news. Guess I'll try to snatch up a couple more from my B & M before they are gone. :affraid:

Centurian 803":aodzcxr8 said:
I have three Stanwells in my rotation and I keep skipping my other pipes and going back to them. I have a 186 that I bought at my local B & M that is absolutely my favorite pipe and one I ordered from Sweeden (thanks for the tip P.D.) that is an excellent puffer. Hate to hear the bad news. Guess I'll try to snatch up a couple more from my B & M before they are gone. :affraid:
I've got a vario 186 myself - a magnificent pipe, one of my top 3.

Just pulled the trigger on a Stanwell 124 revival,,,,next?,,,,a classic 32?????

There are a couple new Stanwells being sold tommorrow on E-Bay
by Pipestud........a guy could get a nice deal. 8)

Winslow :sunny:

Was at an antique mall thingy yesterday and found a couple pipes. Nothing interested me, but I did walk away with a question. Don't all original Stanwell stems have some type of logo on the stem? One of these didn't have any marking on it at all. Just black. It didn't look like a replacement. Can anyone help me answer that?

I m thinking about a stanwell ive been watching on ebay. Ive heard good things about them and I dont have one. So im figuring I should do something about the lack of a stanwell in my barn.

KGrHqVHJBcE63Vg0w5zBO5oH9LSm60_3.jpg
This is what im watching

When it comes to value, for me it's a toss up between Nording and Stanwell.

I managed a pipe and cigar shop in a small college city in the 90s. Outside of true bucket pipes, one of the two pipe brands we stocked was Stanwell. I don't remember the Stanwells being small pipes. They were average sized pipes; nothing that would make you think they were of an unusual size in either direction. So...now to my question(s): Is my memory failing me? Are Stanwells generally smaller pipes? Or are certain shape #s commonly on the smaller size? Or have did they become on the smaller side at some point?

I recently picked up a Tom Eltang 125. I picked it up off eBay, and I have to say I'm confused and disappointed by how petite it is. I checked Smoking Pipes' history, and the two I found were similar in dimensions. I don't want to yet conclude this shape is just on the small side without asking around and gathering more evidence.

Zeno Marx":mlnk14ty said:
I managed a pipe and cigar shop in a small college city in the 90s.  Outside of true bucket pipes, one of the two pipe brands we stocked was Stanwell.  I don't remember the Stanwells being small pipes.  They were average sized pipes; nothing that would make you think they were of an unusual size in either direction.  So...now to my question(s):  Is my memory failing me?  Are Stanwells generally smaller pipes?  Or are certain shape #s commonly on the smaller size?  Or have did they become on the smaller side at some point?

I recently picked up a Tom Eltang 125.  I picked it up off eBay, and I have to say I'm confused and disappointed by how petite it is.  I checked Smoking Pipes' history, and the two I found were similar in dimensions. I don't want to yet conclude this shape is just on the small side without asking around and gathering more evidence.
I have a couple of Stanwells, most of them normal size pipes.......group 3 or 4 Dunhill.  I do have  a second (Royal Guard) which is a smallish pipe and which is one of my favourite smokers.  A friend of mine also collects Stanwells and his are "normal" size pipes, too.

Can't speak for the Eltang

Well, a 5-inch pipe is obviously shorter than a 5.5 or 6 inch pipe, and that shape is only 5 inches, I believe. Stanwell has a lot of 5 inchers, which is a bit small in my book. I tend to buy at least a 5.5 inch length with a 3/4 inch bore, and I always check that regardless of marque. Off the top of my head I'd say many Stanwells do run small, for whatever that's worth. But many Petes are deceptively small, too--for example, the 338. So I always check, unless badly smitten. (I've got a few that I'd prefer to be a tad larger.) Are you concerned that there may be a larger version of the 125 out there somewhere, and that you'd like to have it? I wouldn't think there is.

Richard Burley":vpyv0y9h said:
Well, a 5-inch pipe is obviously shorter than a 5.5 or 6 inch pipe, and that shape is only 5 inches, I believe. Stanwell has a lot of 5 inchers, which is a bit small in my book. I tend to buy at least a 5.5 inch length with a 3/4 inch bore, and I always check that regardless of marque. Off the top of my head I'd say many Stanwells do run small, for whatever that's worth. But many Petes are deceptively small, too--for example, the 338. So I always check, unless badly smitten. (I've got a few that I'd prefer to be a tad larger.) Are you concerned that there may be a larger version of the 125 out there somewhere, and that you'd like to have it? I wouldn't think there is.
thanks for that feedback. good information. and yes, I would love to find a 6"x2-2.25" version. I'm not interested in anything monstrous.

Glad this thread was re-opened:

Stanwell makes an excellent crafted pipe for the price. I own 8 and not one has the slightest fill. All are outstanding smokers but most at the 5" mark. Below is a picture of my two favorite Stanwell pipes: the top one is the Royal Guard measuring in at 5 1/4" and the lower is the #95 measuring in at 5 1/2". Both have a beautiful grain made out of well aged briar, which were easy to break in. They both smoke better then some of my pipes costing 4 times more. All of my others measure in at 4 7/8" to 5" exactly. Because of the wide stem on both they're perfect for clenching.
PS
If you want longer Stanwells look at the 75th Anniversary Series pipes
XlXOKIn.jpg" style="width: 600px;height: 400px

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!