Stanwells AGAIN

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those guys are great to order from as well. Take paypal, ship immediately and confirm they've done so. Typical Krauts. :)

Coincidentally, I picked up one of my old Stanwells last night (this one is about ten years old) and smoked a bowl of old Nightcap in it and it was pretty darned good. I really do admire the quality of the stems and briar and would have to say that they smoke better than any machine made pipe I own. That said, I think it would be tough to compare a mass produced stem with a handcut stem. I love the way that Jeff Gracik's and Jody Davis' pipes smoke, particularly the comfort and draw of their mouthpieces. Ultimately though, I think the "bang for the buck" factor with Stanwells is huge and they occupy a regular spot in my rotation right along with pipes costing considerably more.

P.S. Per a prior post, I might try smoking some Sobranie in the crapper this evening, but I have a strange feeling my wife might find this to be . . . er . . . unacceptable.

"P.S. Per a prior post, I might try smoking some Sobranie in the crapper this evening, but I have a strange feeling my wife might find this to be . . . er . . . unacceptable."

Yea, she might not like the smell of the tobacco, either. :lol!:

Natch

Danish_Pipe_Guy":8a3o24cq said:
I now honestly believe that a properly engineered hunk o' wood with a wide open draw will smoke every bit as well as any pipe on the market!
You nailed it. The fact of the matter is that a pipe collector is a pipe collector. In addition, a Dr. Grabow is a pipe, just like a pipe made by Bo Nordh is a pipe.

Proper engineering is something objective. We can quantify it. I also believe that the carbon cake is also a great equalizer.

Subjectivity enters the picture when we get into aesthetics. Is a Bo Nordh Ramses more attractive than a Dr. Grabow? That's up to each individual.

I've been in the Stanwell buying mood as of late. In my opinion, they have the best selection of desirable shapes for an affordable price... at least at the moment. I really hope things don't go downhill -- recent news hasn't been that bright.

Matt

pipedirector":c8xpn0oo said:
I've been in the Stanwell buying mood as of late. In my opinion, they have the best selection of desirable shapes for an affordable price... at least at the moment. I really hope things don't go downhill -- recent news hasn't been that bright.

Matt
Keep going bro, for as long as the Danish hold up, looking at scoring a couple more estates myself!!

I've had few Stanwell estate pipes this far but -thanks to this thread- just ordered Stanwell Nanna Ivarson. Poor excuse, but early xmas gift maybe.

Raid":noox87dq said:
I've had few Stanwell estate pipes this far but -thanks to this thread- just ordered Stanwell Nanna Ivarson. Poor excuse, but early xmas gift maybe.
That be a killer pipe!! NANNA is a good choice and a really snazy looker!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Raid":0byrfanb said:
Treating yourself to a new "Stanna" is NEVER a poor decision, but instead is ALWAYS a brilliantly calculated purchase. You will not be disappointed! I have one and it is freaking awesome. Let us know how you like it!

I just saw a nice estate Stanwell "Brass Band Dublin" on the Smokers Haven site. I've had a couple of Stanwell's one I bought somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's and it was lost somewhere when I put my pipes away for safe keeping LOL! The other is newer and is smoked alot with a wind cap and the top down. ( A little to cold for that right now)

I have 2 Stanwell brass band pipes that I picked up off of Ebay and they are both excellent smokers. The second one I got is a military mount where the 2nd band wraps all the way around the end of the shank to form the metal fitting. It smokes very dry and has a nice open draw. As such it has become one of my regulars, especially for straight virginias. I never owned a Stanwell before joining BoB but now I have 6 or 8 and would not part with any of them.

Raid":yxi7nra3 said:
I believe you'll love this pipe - mine is great. As I've mentioned before, I'm considering buying another one!

Matt

I have quite a few Stanwells that I reach for on a regular basis. One designed by Sixten Ivarsson was a contributing factor for my getting into pipe making. Very decent smoking pipes.

StephenDownie":35v2bal8 said:
I have quite a few Stanwells that I reach for on a regular basis. One designed by Sixten Ivarsson was a contributing factor for my getting into pipe making. Very decent smoking pipes.
Master Stephen has spoken!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

it was doc"s fault. 6 Nannas later and a few others.All are good smokers. Only one had to be worked on to accept all 9mm filters,easily done by hand with a drill.Mine are all euro models.Stanwell I have been told has soid to an italian firm.Has anyone seen an Italian stan yet? I have recently bought a high end Viprati and true to form found another one I must have to continue making Pipe Angels.(that black dust that falls out of your pipe when finished.)good smoking!

pipe dreamer":zkxhqfmc said:
it was doc"s fault. 6 Nannas later and a few others.All are good smokers. Only one had to be worked on to accept all 9mm filters,easily done by hand with a drill.Mine are all euro models.Stanwell I have been told has soid to an italian firm.Has anyone seen an Italian stan yet? I have recently bought a high end Viprati and true to form found another one I must have to continue making Pipe Angels.(that black dust that falls out of your pipe when finished.)good smoking!
Good question, waiting to see an Italian Stan also.
My Stans are Euro models all accepting 9mm filters, but I choose to smoke them with adapter tubes, they daraw better IMHO,