Starter Tobacco?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6323

Reaction score
Hello, for an absolute beginner and not a smoker at all. What would be the best pipe tobacco to start with? I'm in UK. Preferably something light, not to strong but enjoyable. Something that would go well while reading Tolkien 😄 using a Peterson pipe.

On the aromatic side, there's Peterson Sunset Breeze, Amphora Full, Gawith Hoggarth Black Cherry (called American BC Blend) and Erinmore Mixture. They are fairly easy to deal with for preparation and their nicotine content is mild.

If you want to try something less cased, I can think of Special Virginia and Amphora Original.

I think we're all going to recommend something similar to how we started out? I'd recommend a sampling of a Virginia/Perique (aka VaPer), an English, a burley-based blend, and an aromatic. When I started out, I liked aromatics enough to be interested, but once I tasted an English, I swallowed the hook. If there is a good Dunhill 965 match out there, maybe that? Possibly Arango Balkan Supreme? I mostly smoke Virginias and VaPers now, so I'm not of much use on the English front anymore. My tobacconist mentor went in for the kill right off the bat and recommended Escudo for a Virginia example, and while I loved it from the first puff, I'm not sure I would go that far with a recommendation. Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake is a forgiving VaPer and flake. If not a VaPer and just a Virginia, Sutliff 507c is a nice, inexpensive one that I think would be a nice starter. I'll leave the Burley and aromatics to someone else as well.

Hello, for an absolute beginner and not a smoker at all. What would be the best pipe tobacco to start with? I'm in UK. Preferably something light, not to strong but enjoyable. Something that would go well while reading Tolkien 😄 using a Peterson pipe.
I bought my first pipe in September of 1961, my first purchase as I matriculated as a freshman in college. For one dollar, I got a pipe, a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh, and a booklet (also by Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco company) on how to smoke and care for a pipe. Started me off, and here as I enter my 80th year, I'm still a devotee. You might start your adventure with Sir WR; and now they also have an aromatic version. but be careful---aromatics sometimes tend to give tongue-bite. Welcome to the great fraternity!

There is always Captain Black with it's many options, I prefer Dark myself, and my beginner blend, which started me on my journey 50 yrs ago, Half & Half, by the codgers I worked with as a young man. Either way , everyone has different taste preferences, experimenting is half the fun. Enjoy and welcome!

Edge Worth RR. Vintage 1960, in my Paul Fisher meerschaum Prince with 6 panels on top and fitted with acrylic stem - vintage 1976. First pipe of the day after chili lunch and decalf ground bean coffee. Beautiful day near 50 degrees. Sitting in my gazebo reading.
20240301_130200.jpg