Stems: Acrylic or Ebonite/Vulcanite?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how acrylic looks, tastes, wears and cleans.

I like how vulcanite feels on my teeth.

I don't avoid the rubber stems, I just don't go out of my way to find them. If I happen to get one, I appreciate it for what it is, and pair up tobaccos that do a better job at masking the sulfur-y-ness.

Needless to say, I think acrylic suits me better. There's always shrink tubing and Softy bits if I need 'em.

8)

Yak":gr0eufiz said:
Acrylic. Every time. Because no matter how old it gets, it'll never taste like stem.

:face:
What she said. Plus unless you have a Jaws of Life bite you'll never mar or wear acrylic, and although vulcanite is a little bit more comfortable to clench the effort to keep it looking decent just isn't worth the candle, in my opinion. Over time I've had all but a few of my vulcanite stems replaced with acrylic, and they get smoked a lot more often that way. At this point I just won't buy a new pipe with an ebonite/vulcanite/Cumberland stem; your mileage may vary.

depends on the shape of the pipe and what I'm doing. I have some vulcanite stems that won't hang worth a damn and some slender lucite or acrylic stems that are awesome clenchers, and vice versa.

This is probably common knowledge, but I either didn't know it or didn't believe it. I'm surprised how much Halcyon II wax helps keep the oxidation at bay on vulcanite stems. Stuff is tough, too. I think it helps keep teeth chatter from making marks. I have a soft bite, and it's helped prevent a lot of indentations. It wouldn't do diddly if you're someone who really bites down.

I have a Boswell that has some really crappy lucite. I handle it with the same care as I do all the other pipes with acrylic stems, and it shows more chatter, and more easily, than any of the others. It's too big to clench, so the only time it hits my teeth is when I carefully dangle it on my chin and very lightly hold it between my front teeth as I tie my shoes. It looks like I chew on it or something.

Zeno Marx":3qmlw1rq said:
This is probably common knowledge, but I either didn't know it or didn't believe it. I'm surprised how much Halcyon II wax helps keep the oxidation at bay on vulcanite stems. Stuff is tough, too. I think it helps keep teeth chatter from making marks. I have a soft bite, and it's helped prevent a lot of indentations. It wouldn't do diddly if you're someone who really bites down.

I have a Boswell that has some really crappy lucite. I handle it with the same care as I do all the other pipes with acrylic stems, and it shows more chatter, and more easily, than any of the others. It's too big to clench, so the only time it hits my teeth is when I carefully dangle it on my chin and very lightly hold it between my front teeth as I tie my shoes. It looks like I chew on it or something.
I've never heard of that. I wax mine with Carnuba, but it certainly wouldn't protect it against any sort of bite or scratch.

IMHO the Les wood cumberland is by far the best. The mouth-feel of vulcanite/ebonite is better than acrylic, but I have a little trick with acrylic: roughen the mouthpiece with a sandpaper which will produce sticky feel somewhat like the vulcanite.

- Urban

Acrylic/Lucite.

I have a reaction to vulcanite. The way they taste to most people when they've oxidized is now they taste to me all the time. It can be a deal-breaker for me; at the very least, a choice between a pipe with a lucite stem or one with vulcanite becomes an instant non-choice.

I prefer a good Vulcanite stem myself, I'm a clincher and Lucite just isn't comfortable to me . I also have a preference for thicker stems with a wide lip. I've been sending all my Lucite stem pipes off to get vulcanite stems cut to my shape preference. That way way I can bite as much as I want without worry as I still have the original as a reserve or if I want to trade/sell the pipe.